Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was curious if there were any real need for the intake to be shapped like it is when u are running f/i specically a turbo set up, i was thinking, wouldnt u want the most direct path to your engines cylinders as possible my friend and i were actually talking about fabbing a new one up, and not using intake runners and having it set right on top of the lower intake and haveing the sam amount of air or close to it by having a larger plenium, think of what were talking about was to make a intake similar to that of a LS1 or a basic ford 4.6 as im not shure on the hp dynamics of intake runners and the effect they have with a turbo application i was curious if some one could help me!

·
Registered
8,088 Posts
Typically for a forced induction setup the shorter the runners and the bigger the plenum the better. Longer runners are better for torque production on the low to mid RPM range but they starve high end HP production. There's not really a whole lot of room between the cylinder banks and the hood so you'll have to settle for a smaler plenum, but it can be done as some people have done it. That hardest part is getting the throttle body mounted and clearing the coil packs.

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
ya i think there was a guy in pr that made a custom intake mani that sat between the banks, dont know how well it did, if it were me i would have other places to worry more about and keep the stock intake or just port it

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
just curious because i could nt find a throttle body that i liked or that would fit!!! so we thought about just making our own!!

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
NGM sells a 90mm one

You can also fab one up yourself with all the sensors. Not that hard.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
NGM sells a 90mm one

You can also fab one up yourself with all the sensors. Not that hard.
you really know your sh#$, i was curious when u run a foced induction do u really need all the runner length that we have, im just not the knowledgeable about how horse power is prodced versus acceration,

i gues what im asking is , is it better to have volume or air density i was thinking that the only difference is volume and density is resitance! i could see if i was goin N/A to have long runners but im not, ill be forced induction where ill be moving the same amount of air as if i had long runners on my intake exect my air desity will be much higher, doesnt the throttle body it self limit airflow

or can air density replace the volume???

(just random numbers)
if my engine for example consumed 500 CFM N/A a minute and my turbos could compress air at 650cfms a miniute what is the use of intake runners. im still pressureizing my maniflold and im still getting the air volume i need, but its just more dense . if my engine still can only a consume 500 cfm n/a, and the turbos are compressing im actually above atmospheric pressure by what ever the compressors can pressurize!

thats a very basic theroy of what im saying!
im not shure of the relative hp gains or losses, any one really know what im asking??

1 - 6 of 6 Posts