Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I hopped in the car to go to work the other morning, turned the key, and click. Nothing. F me, grab dad's keys pull the truck over and jump it. Take off to work. Get off work, get in car, click. Fuuuuu, get a jump, drive to autozone, buy new battery as this was the factory one with 3 years and 40k miles on it living through 3 summers of 180 degree underhood temps.

New battery is in, works for a day, hop into car yesterday afternoon and turn key and click. I'm like WTF, turn it again and it starts. Ooooook. So leaving a party last night, and turn the key and click, click, click..... won't start. Get a jump drive home, and go to bed. Wake up this morning, walk outside, and it starts. I'm like what in the hell. Pull off terminals and clean the crap out of the positive since it was kinda dirty. Put everything back and turn the key and click, turn it again and it starts.

Facts:
Scangauge tells me alt is putting out 13-14v when the car is running.
Digital Multimeter shows 12.5v from the battery
Car has an aftermarket stereo with a 1 farad capacitor
Car has Kickxtc HID's

Any help here would be appreciated.

Thanks
Paul

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
do you have an aftermarket alarm? and are you setting it when you get out of the car?

i had a problem where if i i locked it with the key fob.( aftermarket)
then somehow it would leave a whire hot and kill the battery in a short ammount of time...

i now lock my car with the door flapper, it doenst ill the battery idk some short somewhere. dont havre the time to deal with it lol

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Mine will do this once in a great while. It may be starter or ground related. If you keep trying to start it, it will eventually start. Mine always starts, but sometimes it would take 50 times.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nope, factory alarm. And yeah, I'm thinking short at this point. I'm kinda miffed because I didn't really have the money to spend on that battery, and if that wasn't the issue then I'm out 95 bucks that could have gone to bills.

I'll keep trying with the starting then if it happens again. I'll throw a 10mm socket in my car too so I can disconnect and reconnect the bat if I have to.

Thanks so far, keep any suggestions coming.

·
Registered
120 Posts
i have that problem when trying to teach my gf standard after stalling i wouldn't start...okay maybe some short of safety crap but after doing seemless times lol she would sit up out of the seat sit back down and that would fix the problem which makes me clueless just thought i tell u guys.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So it's cable/terminal related. Just multimetered my "dead" battery and got a whopping 12.75 volts. Loosen the posi terminal, can't get i toff, hit a it a few times with the ratchet, can't get it off, re-tighten, and start car, fires up first try. Day off tomorrow, so it's going to the dealer under warranty.

·
Registered
111 Posts
if it doesnt start try to tap the starter solenoid or if you have the time take the starter out and have it tested at autozone

1 - 7 of 7 Posts