Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didnt find one........I am somewhat mechanically inclined....but I have never changed a timing belt on my own.......im at 67k miles......so I will need to change it soon....anyone point me in the right direction??

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
nope,

not to my knowledge

try hmaservice, there should be some instructions on there since i had some in my shop manual, although i can tell you it's not ALL that helpfull

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
is it easy to change the timing belt??

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
i've posted it somewhere before,

basically you need to put a jack under your engine, remove your pass side engine mount, serpentine belt, belt tensioner, power steering pump, crank pulley. Then you can remove the timing belt cover,

once you have that off, you need to turn the crank pulley to get your pistons to Top Dead Center by matching the timing marks on the sprockets and the valve cover.

Once you do that you can remove the old auto tensioner and the belt itself.

Put on the new belt while paying ALLOT of attention to the sprockets making sure they do not move AT ALL to misalign from the timing marks.

once you have the new belt on and made sure all the timing marks match, put on the new auto tensioner, pull the pin, wait for it to tension up.

and then reassemble everything in reverse order....

BTW, you also need to remove your wheel and wheel well lining to get better access to the crank pulley, and the easyest way i know to get it off is to put a wrench onto the bolt, rest the wrench onto a part of the frame and then crank the engine for a microsecond, it will break itself loose. My experience is that not even an air compressor is strong enough (probably depends on the compressor, but this one was a huge proffesional grade compressor) to get it loose. When putting it back on you will need a compressor to tighten it back on though.

hope that helps you decide wether you want to attempt it or not....

after having my friend helping me the first time i could probably do it myself next time.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
yea ill give you a few pointers, CHECK CHECK DOUBLE CHECK, cmall price to pay for some new heads.
Chase

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts