Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
But its time for me to move on. My built Tiburon has been sold to someone in Wisconsin. I've been a member of this forum in one way or another since 2002 and this forum has been a great help in my learning process. In the 18 years I've been on here I've made some lasting friendships as well as I hope I've helped some of you with your builds. I'm getting up there in years and having a project car that has been ever nudging towards full fledged race car no longer appeals to me like it once did. The new owner has promised to take care of my car and I trust that he will. I'll always been around via email and google messenger so if anyone needs me feel free to reach out.

Peach out y'all!

Dave

·
Super Moderator
8,690 Posts
Sorry to see you go, but I understand. Having a DD that just starts and runs 365 days a year is nice. Toys are fine if you have a good DD.
I would do many more things if I had a heated garage like some peeps do on car forums. Alas....I am usually working in the driveway..
Keep your membership here, feel free to drop in whenever....

·
Registered
282 Posts
Sorry to see you go, but it's completely understandable!
Thank you so much for all the support over the years, and for always willing to help and answer even the dumbest of questions.

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Congrats on you know what you need to do!

It's been an honor learning from you throughout the last decade.

What's the plan for you nowadays?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hello Dave,

I would of been very interested in getting your car, but it was long gone by the time I saw it was up for sale. I signed in today looking for you, and I am glad to see that you intend to remain available for council and advise. Since your scolding 8+/- months ago regarding the use of a computer to control timing and such on my turbo beta 1, I have been taking careful notes and making careful and accurate observations. (I have retarded cams, 2 " exhaust w/ no cats or muffler, clover disc clutch & lightweight flywheel, Walbro pump and boost compensating, adjustable fuel pressure regulator, 9mm plug wires, colder closed plugs, 92 octane non-ethanol, 2-5/8" liquid filled Autometer gauges - with stock ECM)....

On the highway, if I increase engine load with steady but prompt throttle action, being careful not to go into boost,
I have observed that the stock programming strives for 12:1 AFR at less than 1 " hg, and continuing into about 1/2 psi boost. Any more boost, or vacuum and the target AFR returns to 14.5:1. Do you know what signals/wire(s) the ECM is monitoring when it observes the conditions described above such that a 12:1 AFR is set? The car has MAF and no MAP but it seems the ECM must have the ability to monitor vacuum (???) - that's the only explanation I can logically produce.

I theorize the ECM input antecedents to 12:1 targeted AFR:
Normal engine operating temperature
sufficient fuel pressure
throttle position remains roughly 55% or greater
No signal from knock sensor
Some logical signal from MAF
and engine RPM is only slowly increasing, not passing factory revlimiter
....could the ECM presume we are trying to accelerate hard by monitoring RPM, throttle position, & MAF?

IF the input conditions could be duplicated/reproduced:
THEN a 12:1 target AFR could be induced on command.

I have been studying drag engines and building small block and big block chevys since I was a teen. It is only the OBD2 and figuring out how the computer thinks that prevents massive/moderate, controlled, impressive, horsepower gains. I want to be a true tuner, and do it myself and not just throw $$$ at the car and pretend I am an engine builder.

Thanks for your thoughts.

-Troy

1 - 8 of 8 Posts