Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OUT WITH THE OLD (OEM parts…), AND
IN WITH THE NEW (modified parts!!!)

Everybody knows that a good service at a Hyundai dealership is usually going to cost an arm and a leg…but back in February 2002, John’s minor oil change cost him a fair bit more…..

John, ever the keen one for proper upkeep and maintenance, took his 2nd Gen Tiburon into his local dealership (where, incidentally, his father is the service manager) for a routine service. While he browsed around the showroom, he stumbled across what was the latest model GK – after which, the future was as good as written. A quick test drive later, John had well and truly fallen for the GK, “the drop dead sexy lines, the exhilarating drive and an amazing price too boot, where all enough to seal the deal” says John,….needless to say, John never turned the wheel of his once loved and much cared for Gen 2.

Right from the outset, John knew what he wanted from the Tiburon - he wanted to be different, he longed to be unique – but with a fresh and clean appearance of the GK, John says “I little flavour is good, but not too much flash”

So John set out to work. First to come off was the OEM wheels, replaced with 18" Konig Reasons, neatly wrapped in BFGoodrich G-Force KDW's 225/40R18s. Keeping with his objective of a clean look, a subtle yet different Orca/Art Tech 1 Body Kit was fitted with precision. John told nt.com, “The Art Tech lip kit is by far my most favourite modification. It is very simple and clean, much like my objective. Yet I think it adds to entire look of the car, keeping the lines that we all know and love. Not only that, but it gives the car a very squatty look”…and who would argue with that? A slight window tint and the introduction of the Tuscani emblems, and the subtle, yet sleek, exterior was as good as done.

Put simply, the uneducated would really have to look hard and long for the exterior styling modifications on this car...they are simply that well done and subtle, they look factory...yet if John's Tib was to park next to a factory spec Tiburon, the mist clears and it is blatently obvious this car means business!

However, looking subtle is all well and good – but sometimes you want to be noticed…so John installed royal blue street glow neon’s, royal blue gill lights and a set of royal blue angel eyes. Continuing the theme, John swapped the color of his LED clock to blue and accented the interior with a "Tuscani" Shifter Plate in, you guessed it, royal blue!

Now, we have covered the appearance of Johns car, which by its self is simply awesome, but when he starts talking about the engine modifications, you realise that this car really is a dream come true!. In a modest way, John refers to the egine modifications as only "minor" additions, possibly an indication, and suggestion, that there is still more to be done? The time and effort that has been put into the engine bay area is overwhelming. John really has spent a lot of time and money on my performance upgrades. "As far as I know, I am in a select few GK owners when it comes to having an engine tuned like mine. Having it bored out, getting over sized pistons, and having the heads shaved" said John. This unusual step has naturally lead to other modifications too. "Not only that, but the BBK, clutch, springs, motor mounts, headers, exhaust....this was a HUGE step in my cars evolution. Not sure how many of us can say they have had that type of motor work done".

So, what are John’s ambitions for this New Year. After just completing the stage 1 conversion, John, like most tuners is intending on turning his attention to the in car entertainment (ICE) – but he wont be pushed on any finer points than that. But never one to rest on his laurels, John also sneakily added “. I have some good ideas in the works, plans include interior changes, body image, and additional performance upgrades. It should be quite an adventure”, which I am sure we will all watch with interest.

For more pictures, as often requested...see Johns webpage here; http://www.johns03tib.com/

John, congratulations on being the first nt.com COTM for 2005.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Let me be the first to congratulate John and a beautifully modded Tib...good work man.

Nice to have you the first COTM for 2005, lets hope that the other 11 for 2005 will be as good, if not better.

:)

·
Official NT Bunghole Licker
851 Posts
Amazing. Absolutely beautiful. The clean look is perfect!

·
Banned
4,260 Posts
Very nicely done! Gotta lose those tiburon mats though, man! They stick out against the tuscani idea. Everything else rocks, love the shift plate. Nice addition and the neon pic was too cool.
Congratulations, and Happy New Year!

·
Registered
822 Posts
First of all let me start by wishing everyone a Happy New Year...May it be safe for all of my beloved GK owners!

Next, thank you all for the amazing comments. Thus far, I am floored with the astounding posts about my car being COTM. I would like to thank a few people right away if I may.

First off, it HAS to be Rick from Rotora. He was the first to take a chance with me and gave me my first sponsorship. Like they say, you never forget your first. DJ and Dave (Trojan and DK) always knew you were there to lend any help possible with any of my inquiries. When my engine went boom, to asking normal, everyday questions. You 2 are a knowledge of wealth and have so much to offer this community. TC from Next Gen, very knowledgeable man he is. Any question about this motor, look no farther than NGM. TC thanks for those long phone calls and finding time for all my questions. Shawn (Solo) for the constant reminder to keep it clean. I always asked myself before doing something..."How would Solo feel about this?" LOL! I know most think you're a bit abrasive, but you truly are the epitome of "Clean". Keep being brutally honest! To CiCi for listening to my gripes, helping me make up my mind, and just being a great support member! To all the Mods for keeping this site what it is today and giving us ALL a great place to read and learn. Without NT.com, I might still have a stock GK! Mike (Italia) oh the headaches we exchanged...wouldn’t trade em' for anything! Thanks for all your help. Rick from REAL Eng. (2Race4Real) you've been most helpful with any of the small issues I've asked of you. Great customer service from you and REAL, Thanks! And finally all the NT members who have some how contributed to, or influenced my ride in some way, shape, or form. Thank you all very much, and Happy New Year!

·
Registered
822 Posts
Silverlining said:
Very nicely done! Gotta lose those tiburon mats though, man! They stick out against the tuscani idea. Everything else rocks, love the shift plate. Nice addition and the neon pic was too cool.
Congratulations, and Happy New Year!
Ahh yes, the mats...shouldn't be in rotation much longer! LOL! Thanks for the wonderful comments! :3_shiny:

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
and now added...sounds like an excuse I know, but when you are trying to fit everything into an article which can only be so big, it gets difficult to include everything...but I think we have managed it now.

:)

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Man, I freaking hate this. its like you stole my damn idea dude!!!! :) I've dreamed of having a "sleeper" typer car, where the exterior mods are so subtle, that most cant recognize them. I must say, after reading the car had a body kit, I had to go look at the pictures again, and I drive a tib. nice work, this is by far my favorite COTM.

xKylex

1 - 20 of 64 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.