Votes: 76 55.9%
  • NO

Votes: 60 44.1%
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I wrote a letter to JL recently asking about a Stealthbox and if they would design one for the Tiburons...I told them the market was there if they made one....let's see if i'm right.......

Would you buy a Stealthbox from JL????

This is what a stealthbox is for those who don't know.....

Stealthbox®: An Introduction

If you're like most people, you spend more time listening to music in your car than any other place. Too bad most car stereos have weak sound quality, especially in the bass department.

Adding a subwoofer is the single, most significant improvement you can make to a car audio system. Not only do you get the benefit of the subwoofer's superior bass performance, but with proper system design you also relieve the small front and rear speakers in your car from the burden of reproducing bass. This makes them sound better, cleaner and louder.

The only problem with subwoofers in the car is that they typically take up a lot of room, which can be a big problem if you want to keep your vehicle's comfort and utility intact. JL Audio's Stealthbox® subwoofer systems solve this problem once and for all, while delivering a level of sub-bass performance that is way ahead of the curve. And, as the name implies, no one will ever know it's there.

Our engineers begin the Stealthbox® design process by studying the acoustics of the target vehicle and evaluating potential Stealthbox® locations. Extensive testing takes place with the goal of maximizing performance while minimizing loss of vehicle utility and comfort. Then we choose from our vast arsenal of acclaimed subwoofer components and our rather extensive bag of loading techniques to produce the best possible subwoofer response for each and every Stealthbox® vehicle. Prototypes are evaluated and fine-tuned to further improve sound quality, output, cosmetics and fit. After a month or two (sometimes, three) of intense research, a Stealthbox® is ready for production.

The result is a product that embodies JL Audio's passion for car audio by exceeding the conventional limits of system design... Delivering performance so good that Truckin' magazine declared: “You never would think that a single 10-inch woofer... in a box made to blend in with the interior, could produce as much bass as a system with several 12-inch subwoofers...”

Please Vote yes so I can show JL that the market would be there so they can put one into production for us!!!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wouldnt because they charge an arm and a leg for something that everyone can easily do with fiberglass on their own. and yes, everyone can do it.
They ARE NOT out of hand that much......They range from 400-600.....And they come with a 10w3v3 sub that sells on its own for almost 300 so basically the box iself if it were to be sold without a sub would be 200....not THAT bad for a EXACT FIT OEM LOOK.
Fiberglass may be able to be made into whatever you want, but it's a pain in the ***, TIME CONSUMING, and just looks too "ricer" if you don't carpet it....

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
^ Someone likes to type in caps. lol. why pay $200 for a box that someone can make themselves for around $50? its not a pain in the @$$ for those who know what youre doing. And for those just starting out, most of those people enjoy it. FG is easiest to carpet since you dont have to worry about pinholes in the body filler and prepping for paint. I could easily build a FG "stealth" enclosure in less than a day for a tib (if I had one). If anyone is in or near the denver area and wants one made for cheap, feel free to hit me up.

·
Registered
421 Posts
i prefer painted fiberglass enclosures myself, but to answer your question, yes, i think there is a market for the jl stealth boxes in tiburons. They're a huge audio name with proven performance, so a lot of people who don't feel like doing their own customizing work would probably buy one. just not me.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Well... from what I heard the JL Stealth Boxs are awesome. I worked on a 04 Ram with the center console JL Stealth box in it and it bassed extremely hard.

I also heard that they are extremely expensive. The one for the Avalanche is somewhere around $3000. But that's also because it's the whole folding part of the back of the truck. JL is rockin it though... I can agree if it looks mostly like the stock sub or even being "stealthy" and hiding with the spare tire.

My guess is they should just keep the JL Stealth box for Corvettes and trucks and everything... most Imports that I see are getting their trunks loaded with custom work and crazy set-ups to show off their cars. They don't want to hide their subs and amps.

Later,
D

·
Registered
492 Posts
i had one in my F-150 supercrew in the console b/c the bench seats in the back are too low for subs. Sounded amazing. I would deffinately be intrested.

·
Registered
3,757 Posts
I wouldnt because they charge an arm and a leg for something that everyone can easily do with fiberglass on their own. and yes, everyone can do it.
The difference is that they actually have engineers and stuff working on it making it perfect, with correct volumes and everything. Most people building their own boxes at home can only half @ssed guess at what their volume is.

·
How do you change this?
2,294 Posts
They ARE NOT out of hand that much......They range from 400-600.....And they come with a 10w3v3 sub that sells on its own for almost 300 so basically the box iself if it were to be sold without a sub would be 200....not THAT bad for a EXACT FIT OEM LOOK.
Fiberglass may be able to be made into whatever you want, but it's a pain in the ***, TIME CONSUMING, and just looks too "ricer" if you don't carpet it....
Thats a little too expensive for what your getting.... Just one W3 10...

Maybe if it had a W6 12 at that price or even a 13 W7 for 8-900 I would be on it.

·
How do you change this?
2,294 Posts
The difference is that they actually have engineers and stuff working on it making it perfect, with correct volumes and everything. Most people building their own boxes at home can only half @ssed guess at what their volume is.
very true

I have only seen a handful of "custom" boxes made at home that were appropriate for the gear they had in them. Most of them are waaaay too large and mostly for the visual appeal, not the sound quality.

And how would the stealth box be set up? Like where would it fit in the hatch?

·
Registered
349 Posts
The problem with the stock box is air space.... No?

Does anyone have the spec's on the air space in the stock sub box?

·
Registered
495 Posts
The problem with the stock box is air space.... No?

Does anyone have the spec's on the air space in the stock sub box?
The stock sub box has about 0.7 cubic feet of airspace, but to mount a new sub in it you have to cut out the tube inside the box that has the rear mounting screw for the sub. After you do that you can use that hole in the back to mount your new wiring terminals. Just use a round terminal plate.

Use a sub like a JL 10W6V2

·
Registered
89 Posts
Yeah pretty much. I melted the piece down with a heat gun. Worked Perfect. And just used The factory wires inside just cliped the harnesses off. and went around the inside seeling everything up. used a Image Dynamics IDQ10D2. Sounds Incredible. But im not into big bass.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
uuuhh i dont think there that much im looking at a 12 online for 112...

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
The way it should be done is with a 12W3 on both sides fo the trunk, but no matter what JL design's, it will be awesome. Hopefully they will come through.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.