• Many problems, some not covered under warranty

Votes: 2 3.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about getting a tib in the near future, but as it will be my only car, have become a bit paranoid about getting another problem child of a car. So I figured I would read up, and found some threads that made me ever more paranoid...so I thought I would make a poll. I want all those who have NEVER had a problem, to vote as well as those who have, and if it was covered under the warranty.

·
Former Staff
3,336 Posts
Niggling little problem with my car: the cruise control, but it's always fixed under warranty.

But aside from that it's been as reliable as the Toyotas and Hondas I've owned prior.

·
Registered
208 Posts
hyundai has really stepped up its game along with the warranty its a very reliable car

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
You should add a selection of "minor nuisances not at "problem" status"... (like rattles, squeaks, etc.) and a selection of "minor problems + nuisances" and "major problems" and others...

This poll is really pretty poorly thought out w/so many different levels of non-perfection.

·
Registered
541 Posts
My 1999 Tiburon lasted me 5.5 years without any major malfunctions. All repairs/maint. were routine. All TSBs and recall issues were handled quickly by my local dealership. I sold the car for $3500 with 60k miles on the clock and purchased a 2004 Tiburon GTV6. Only issue(s) to speak of was a lose strut and fading paint on the plastic parts which will soon be covered under warranty.

I still see my 99 Tiburon on the road.

·
Registered
6,325 Posts
Nocturn said:
I'm thinking about getting a tib in the near future, but as it will be my only car, have become a bit paranoid about getting another problem child of a car. So I figured I would read up, and found some threads that made me ever more paranoid...so I thought I would make a poll. I want all those who have NEVER had a problem, to vote as well as those who have, and if it was covered under the warranty.

Tibs are reliable cars, you start doing major mods and you risk your warranty and long term life of the car. I love my tib and I drive her every day for work. I have put 13,000 miles so far and I couldnt be happier.

·
Swim away fishes...
5,421 Posts
I had the common airbag light from the seatbelt problem and the rear wiper wouldn't shut off. Otherwise, its been more reliability than previous cars considering I haven't had to do fix anything with the expensive parts (drivetrain, powertrain).

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey cut me some slack I did this about 5 minutes before I had to leave so I was more interested in getting it on the board. Nuances don't keep the car from driving, thus I don't care about those.

I'd be buying a used one, and am just worried that the transferable 60K warranty won't cover everything or that I will end up forking out 1000s a year to keep it running like I do my current car.

·
Sam:Moderator of the Dead
2,220 Posts
What usually happens is the dealers are complete *******s, and if you have any mods whatsoever, theyre gonna turn you away cause they are all lazy as ****. That's how it is around here anyway.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
yes Im the one who voted on the last one.......
I need a 2nd hyundai that has never been hit 8 times to change my mine

but b4 that IT WAS GREAT!

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
aside from my clutch I haven't had any problems with the car that werent covered under warrenty. FWIW the build date on my car is 7/02, so I had an early production model. I am pretty sure most of the quirks with the 03's have been taken care of.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
I had a 4/02 build date, and never had a problem with my clutch after 52k

problems i had were the moonroof sunshade breaking all the time, cruise control module, and MAF, also had a DS cracked fog lens that i cannot really blame on them, probably crappy roads

·
Registered
6,325 Posts
If you buy a used you get whatever is left on the 6yr/60,000 mile warranty. this is for bumper to bumper and powertrain. If you buy it used you loose the 100,000 mile powertrain warranty but its covered for the 6/60. Unless you pay for a extended warranty. Im waiting for that day until my factory is almost up at 60,000miles

·
Registered
225 Posts
I have a fully loaded early 03, I had two problems with the door lock actuators and rear wiper motor. It was all fixed under warranty.
The mechanical part is bullet proof except for the clutch it's kind of weak if you drive it real hard.
The paint is a bit weak too mine started to chip around the rear spoiler and Hyundai doesn’t want to do anything about it.

Ho and the moon roof was leaking when it was raining I had to fix it myself my dealer could not "didn’t want to" find the problem

·
NT's master gardener
3,139 Posts
only problems i've had with my tib have been electrical and all have been covered under warranty...well...and there was the time i broke my sunglasses holder and they replaced that too.... but here's whats broken or been fixed on my tib, in order.

passenger window motor
spoiler pads came out from under spoiler...fixed once
right blinker system stopped working, cause: BCM broke (would have cost $800 with no warranty)
spoiler pad came out again...fixed this time for good
fixed sunglasses holder that i broke
repainted gas cap cause the paint was looking matte blue instead of shiney
airbag light came on...CO2 cartridge or something like that replaced and the seatbelt buckle replaced
repainted gas cap AGAIN cause the paint now was turning a gray color.

thats all i've had in 2 n a half years. it looks like a lot but its not really.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts