Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 20 of 306 Posts

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm Kel, I'm 25 and an aspiring mechanic so I do as much of my own work as possible on my 2004, 2.0, 5 speed. This member profile is to show the progress I've made and help me keep record of maintenance.

My first car was an automatic '98 Subaru Legacy-Outback wagon with 155k that I struggled to keep on the road for almost 2 years. I bought my Tiburon during Summer of 2013, mostly stock with 130k miles for $2,000. I still daily drive it and love it to this day.

If I've done something that you have questions about feel free to message me, all feedback welcome!

Engine & Trans:
-Custom CAI, Spectre filter-
-Exhaust: OBX header, Walker catalytic converter, Magnaflow 4" round muffler as resonator, Mussa mid-pipe & Y-pipe, Magnaflow 6" round mufflers w/slanted tips (Post #204)-
-NGK spark plug wire set-
-Exedy OEM clutch kit-
-HEL (350z) clutch line (Post #142)-
-Delrin shifter base & cable bushings (Post #133)-
-Poly-filled front & rear engine mounts (Post #82)-
-AC system removed (Post #68)-
-Cruise control removed-
-Slave cylinder delay valve removed-

Suspension:
-EvoFusion front strut bar (Post #225)-
-ARK rear strut bar (Post #225)-
-Moog endlinks & tie rod ends-

Wheels & Brakes:
-05-07 Subaru STI BBS rims (17x8 +53)-
-Tires F: Nexen N'Fera SU1, 215/45/17-
-Tires R: Toyo, 225/45/17 (temporary)-
-Circuit Performance 3/4" (20mm) wheel spacers-
-Circuit Performance red lug nuts-
-Rotors F: StopTech slotted
-Rotors R: Centric smooth-faced
-Centric ceramic pads-

Body:
-VIS Cyber C/F hood-
-DayStar hood isolators w/JEGS pin kit-
-FL1 headlights-
-Vinyl wrapped fog light rings (3M 1080 C/F)-
-Taillight red-out vinyl over signals-
-Custom Tuscani emblem (rear)-
-Grill removed-
-Hood latch removed-
-Spoiler removed-
-Window washer system removed-
-Rear wiper removed-

Interior & Audio:
-JVC head unit-
-Kicker 250.1W amp-
-JL Audio 10WX-4 / non-ported box-
-Custom "Tuscani" shift knob (Post #282-
-OEM passenger cup-holder-
-OEM stainless pedal set-
-OEM "Tiburon" floormats-
-Leather/red stitched door inserts-
-Dome, glove box & trunk LEDs (Red) from DiodeDynamics (Post #155)-
-Vinyl wrapped center fascia, door pulls, courtesy light covers (3M 1080 C/F) (Page 5)-
-Rear seats removed & trunk extended (Posts #244 & #251)-

Maintenance:
-Mobil-1 full synthetic & OEM filter every 5,000 miles (10W30)-
-NGK V-power plugs and air filter every 10,000 miles-
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
-New front tires mounted/balanced (Nexen N'Fera SU1) @160k 5/16/17
-Rear hubs replaced (OEM) @159k 4/27/17 (Post #292)-
-Full timing and clutch job @159k 4/12/17 (Post #283, Post #284, Post #285)-
-BCM turn signal relay replaced @159k 4/10/17 (Post #280)-
-Replaced Magnaflow catalytic converter with Walker 3/26/17-
-Primary O2 sensor replaced 3/26/17-
-Full Seafoam treatment @158k 10/23/16-
-Front wheel alignment @157k 9/1/16-
-Moog inner tie rod (pass. side) @157k 8/27/16-
-Moog front tie rod ends (both) @157k 8/27/16-
-Timken wheel bearing, Dorman hub & used knuckle (front driver) @156k 8/13/16 (Post #241)-
-Moog balljoint (drive side) @156k 8/13/16-
-Moog front & rear endlinks @155k-
-Alternator (reman) 3/14/16-
-Bosch starter 10/6/15-
-Spectra radiator @141k 10/16/14-
-Front struts & mounts @139k 7/11/14-
-Powerstop brake overhaul 5/7/14-
-Interstate battery @135k 2/3/14-
-FelPro valve cover gasket @133k 10/10/13

Videos:
OBX & Magnaflow exhaust
OBX & Magnaflow exhaust V2 (gutted cat)
Seafoaming my Tiburon

·
Registered
2,872 Posts
Re: The BMXuron

Welcome aboard young fella!

First and most important is your positive attitude and sense of pride about your car, everything will fall into place with time and money. Keep it up!

I would kill for a red Tiburon and probably chop my own foot off for a white one so hearing that you are going to plasti-dip the whole schebang black is a bit heart wrenching even though mine is also black.

·
Registered
193 Posts

First and most important is your positive attitude and sense of pride about your car, everything will fall into place with time and money. Keep it up!

I would kill for a red Tiburon and probably chop my own foot off for a white one so hearing that you are going to plasti-dip the whole schebang black is a bit heart wrenching even though mine is also black.
Agreed on the plasti-dipping... not sure if the paint is rough and we're just not seeing it, but I'd put a shine on that Tib and leave the paint alone. If you decide in a couple years that you'd like a Gen coup and try to sell you car, it going to be a tough sell.

Other than my 2 cents on the paint, it's a great looking car! Take care of it and it will take care of you. Btw, the timing belt is pretty easy.. or a lot of dealers run T-belt specials for decent prices.

·
Registered
262 Posts

Welcome, fellow rider. You picked a surprisingly good road trip car, as it can fit 3 bikes in the back easily, and more if you start breaking them down.

·
Registered
262 Posts

Oh, and the factory seats are great for taking abuse from bar ends. Most of the time I just have my bike in the back. I fold both back seats down, then lay the bike down on its right side with the bars turned 90 degrees to their left so that the right bar end is stabbing the back of the passenger seat. My rear passenger seat is all kinds of scratched up from 7 years of doing this, but thanks to that bad ass plastic, it's only cosmetic.

Well, I guess I don't really fold the back seats down anymore, since I did away with that nonsense. But I still load my bike the same way.

·
Registered
361 Posts

nice, you arent too far away,i'm down in oneonta and also have a beta tib. if you need any advice or tips hit me up. i have a few parts for sale as well. btw, i'm with them, dont plasti dip it black, white maybe but not black. i'd also put the badges back until you can get the holes filled. looks like someone stole them otherwise.

·
Registered
99 Posts

Wow, you're so lucky! I wish i hadn't bought this POS Tiburon that i have, and you sure got a hell of a deal compared to me!

i got mine for $1000, spent about 1500~? on repairs (body work etc) and still have engine to replace, as it turned out it's knocking (didn't hear because exhaust was broken) and i have to fix the central door locks, get a key made for the car, and fix the power steering leaks!
Plus, i thought i'd like the car, but compared to my Audi TT, this is a nightmare! It's slower than my mum's SUV!

Well, good luck with your car, and i really think you shouldn't Plastidip it black. It will look very ricey and a Tiburon wouldn't pull that look. just my opinion.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Agreed on the plasti-dipping... not sure if the paint is rough and we're just not seeing it, but I'd put a shine on that Tib and leave the paint alone. If you decide in a couple years that you'd like a Gen coup and try to sell you car, it going to be a tough sell.

Other than my 2 cents on the paint, it's a great looking car! Take care of it and it will take care of you. Btw, the timing belt is pretty easy.. or a lot of dealers run T-belt specials for decent prices.
Unless it has some catastrophic failure I plan on driving it til it's dead, at 130k it wont be worth much, especially 2 years from now. And I have a lot planned for this car over time so I'll probably end up growing very attached to it. I'll look into timing belt deals, I'd like to tackle it myself for the experience but I'll see what's out there. Thanks for the heads up!

Welcome, fellow rider. You picked a surprisingly good road trip car, as it can fit 3 bikes in the back easily, and more if you start breaking them down.
Good to know someone has fit 3! I wouldn't wanna be the unlucky guy stuck in back with 3 bikes haha. I've fit 2 so far but I need a grill over my JL for comfort before I put any more back there. Cheers :)

nice, you arent too far away,i'm down in oneonta and also have a beta tib. if you need any advice or tips hit me up. i have a few parts for sale as well. btw, i'm with them, dont plasti dip it black, white maybe but not black. i'd also put the badges back until you can get the holes filled. looks like someone stole them otherwise.
Awesome thanks! PM me concerning what you have for sale, I may be interested. The badges were removed in preparation for plasti-dip. They may or may not go back on after, if not I'll fill the holes.

Well, good luck with your car, and i really think you shouldn't Plastidip it black. It will look very ricey and a Tiburon wouldn't pull that look. just my opinion.
Thanks for checking it out everyone, I appreciate your input. Unfortunately my absolute least favorite color is red so there's no question on it being dipped. I figured you guys would hate hearing that before I even posted, sorry! Syracuse is also flooded with police and this nice shiny red car stands out way too much for my liking, there's always someone looking and I've already gotten a ticket in a month. I don't really want the attention. It will be done in good taste though, I have a good plan for it and I wouldn't want a shotty looking car. It'll be a mix of black and gunmetal gray.

Thanks for checking it out guys, if you're local feel free to PM me to meet up and ride

·
Registered
262 Posts

I wouldn't wanna be the unlucky guy stuck in back with 3 bikes haha.
Well, I've never done 3 bikes + 3 people. Just 3 bikes + 2 people. I'm sure 3 and 3 could be done though.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Thank you for the motivation, I'm happy to be part of such a helpful and friendly community!

·
Registered
547 Posts

Looks very clean, my son...

And welcome from the Great White North, to the site.

If you ever need any help with anything involving your car, you come to the right place. There be some knowledgeable folk about.

·
Registered
919 Posts

your headlights look a little hazed.....

if you need a new set hit me up...

·
Registered
462 Posts

Welcome to the site. If I may ask what are your goals for the vehicle? For example I just dont understand the AC delete? I could never get my wife to ride in our vehicle without AC in the middle of the day, not if we had another vehicle with AC as an option.

Plasti-dip is a cheap mod and it has its advantages but it does not take the place of a proper paint job. I don't mean to sound critical I'm just a fan of a clean looking Tiburon. Either way I wish you the best of luck.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Welcome to the site. If I may ask what are your goals for the vehicle? For example I just dont understand the AC delete? I could never get my wife to ride in our vehicle without AC in the middle of the day, not if we had another vehicle with AC as an option.

Plasti-dip is a cheap mod and it has its advantages but it does not take the place of a proper paint job. I don't mean to sound critical I'm just a fan of a clean looking Tiburon. Either way I wish you the best of luck.
Goals are posted at the end of my first post. As of now I'm catching up with maintenance and doing small things to make me smile when she's in view. Exhaust in a month or two, turbo in a few years if all goes as planned.

I did an AC delete in my previous Subaru and it yielded about 40-50lbs of weight loss with compressor/condensor and all lines removed. I feel like my AC is just about at the end of it's life and I don't like AC enough to bother recharging it. I'd rather delete it and gain some room to move around while working on other projects. I've never been a personal fan of AC honestly, idk what's wrong with me but I'd rather roll my window down even if it's a lesser effect.

And concerning the plasti-dip again... I hate red. It's my least favorite color, always has been. Why did I buy a red car? It's a sweet car at a great price, and he's my friend/roommate so you can't get much of an easier transaction. I don't have the funds for a proper paint job and if I did it wouldn't be done myself, and I enjoy doing my own work. Next weekend I'll be doing the hood/cabin/trunk and then fenders/doors the weekend after.

Why do you oppose plasti-dip? Just out of curiosity. Stay tuned and thank you for the welcoming :)

·
Registered
262 Posts

I was about to do an AC delete as well. I live in Mississippi though, so it's ever so slightly different than doing it in NY. So instead I bought another car so I can take the AC out of that one.

·
Registered
23 Posts

Nice tib man. I think plasti-dip is a great solution to creating a color scheme for your car especially if you don't want it to be permanent. The stuff lasts quite a long time and can be easily removed if needed.

I will say one thing since you're considering turbo charging. Unless you plan on building the motor to accommodate the turbo, be careful how much boost you plan on running. Keep in mind that an N/A motor will have a higher compression ratio than a factory turbo motor will. This can lead to higher amounts of compression which can produce more power but could also cause serious motor issues under high strain since the motor was never meant to accommodate boost. There's a lot more to building a turbo setup than just slapping the turbo kit on. If you knew this already, I don't mean to insult anyone's intelligence, but since you stated you were learning, figured I would throw my two cents in.

Looking good nonetheless, keep it up!

·
Registered
26 Posts

For his sake and also my sake... Would plastidip hold up on the hood of a Tiburon?

Hey man, keep those rims nice! I would give my tool set to get those on my black Tibby... Then I would need to borrow them to get the rims on >.>

·
Registered
23 Posts

For his sake and also my sake... Would plastidip hold up on the hood of a Tiburon?

Hey man, keep those rims nice! I would give my tool set to get those on my black Tibby... Then I would need to borrow them to get the rims on >.>
Plasti-dip, when applied properly, can last years before being peeled off. People paint their entire cars with the stuff. It can withstand high pressure washing as well. No fear of the car wash :)

Check out www.dipyourcar.com for more info. They also have a channel on youtube with lots of tips, tricks, and facts as well. Very cool stuff.

A buddy of mine is trying to convince me to plasti-dip my whole car black, but I won't do it. I really like my color scheme so far. :)

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Nice tib man. I think plasti-dip is a great solution to creating a color scheme for your car especially if you don't want it to be permanent. The stuff lasts quite a long time and can be easily removed if needed.

I will say one thing since you're considering turbo charging. Unless you plan on building the motor to accommodate the turbo, be careful how much boost you plan on running. Keep in mind that an N/A motor will have a higher compression ratio than a factory turbo motor will. This can lead to higher amounts of compression which can produce more power but could also cause serious motor issues under high strain since the motor was never meant to accommodate boost. There's a lot more to building a turbo setup than just slapping the turbo kit on. If you knew this already, I don't mean to insult anyone's intelligence, but since you stated you were learning, figured I would throw my two cents in.

Looking good nonetheless, keep it up!
Thanks a lot for your feedback! When it comes to the turbocharging, my roommate has an SRT4 pushing around 350 and I don't have any interest running with that thing, it's a monster. I can't give an accurate HP goal as of right now because although I understand there are many supporting mods that need to be made along with the turbo, I still have to learn what does what, how to maintain a proper AFR, etc etc. There's a ton of math behind it and I'm reading around taking it all in a little at a time.

I'm not sure what I could gain with 5 or 6lbs but ideally I'd like to be in the ballpark of 230-250, whatever is safe with stock internals. Thanks for the comment! :thumbup:

I think I'm due to put my money where my mouth is and tackle my hood this weekend. I've done a few body parts just to see how they'd hold up and how quick they'd get dirty (quick!) plus I've never used plasti-dip prior to this car so I had to get a grip on how it sprays/etc on smaller parts.

Other than the awkward texture of plasti-dip which attracts dirt quite easily (but don't our cars get dirty quick anyways?!) I'm all about it, I'm real excited to finish this project although I've hardly begun lol. It's tough to get it off unless you peel from the edge so I'll be sure it's nice and secure with 5 or 6 coats. Good luck to you!

Plasti-dip, when applied properly, can last years before being peeled off. People paint their entire cars with the stuff. It can withstand high pressure washing as well. No fear of the car wash :)

Check out www.dipyourcar.com for more info. They also have a channel on youtube with lots of tips, tricks, and facts as well. Very cool stuff.

A buddy of mine is trying to convince me to plasti-dip my whole car black, but I won't do it. I really like my color scheme so far. :)
You can also add dipyourcar on Facebook, they post pictures regularly :) Spot on though! Thanks for the comments guys, stay tuned this weekend!

1 - 20 of 306 Posts