Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Still lurks on occasion
6,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, I have a fair amount of history with Key Hyundai in Jacksonville FL as I not only bought my Tiburon there in 2004, but I have also had it serviced there as well since day one - with the exception of one or two oil changes at Orange Park Hyundai, but after the service manager there once really aggravated me by attempting to claim that my Injen Short Ram Intake would void my factory warrantly (despite my quoting him The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act (15 U.S.C. 2302(C).

Needless to say, I haven't been back there.

So, anyway, back to the topic at hand - Key Hyundai and the service I received.

I scheduled an appointment and brought the car in for it's 30k service today. I was informed by my service writer John, that the service would include the usual oil change, point inspection, radiator coolant flush, tire rotate/balance, etc. All well and good. Interesting to note is that at 30k on the manual transmission, the transmission fluid (gear oil) is NOT addressed as needing to be changed. I was fine with this as it ended up saving me roughly $100 in labor and shop fees. Again, all well and good, as I'll probably change it myself at around 60k if need be, or sooner at around 40k if the gears start to grind at all, which so far, they haven't thankfully, even with the short shifter and urethane shifter bushings in place.

I received the call that my car was ready a few hours later, and I went to pick it up right at closing time. This is where it gets good. Tyler (TNT) advised me to make sure I check the car over when I receive it, as Key Hyundai techs have been known to rush things and make errors, such as leaving lug nuts loose on tires .

Wouldn't you know it, but I get the car, get 10 yards down the road, and viola, a very disturbing noise coming from my left rear wheel well area. I immediately stop driving the car and go back into the cashier and she gets the service manager, Jim P, to come and speak with me. He rounds the corner in his shirt and tie, and we start to diagnose the issue. My intention, before we understood what it was, was to leave and bring the car back later to fix whatever it was under warranty, because the shop was essentially closed for the day now.

Jim then decides to put my car up on a lift himself and take a look (which I highly commend him for) so we head inside to look things over. After ruminating that it might be my exhaust swinging back and forth on the hangers (which it has never done enough to create such a noise before) he puts a hand on my left rear wheel and it MOVES in an inch or so! This is not good. Upon further inspection, it turns out the tech who worked on my car neglected to tighten three out of four lug nuts down at all, much less proper torque specs. We were able to finger tighten the nuts - definately NOT the way you want to drive a car around town in traffic or any time else!

Bottom line is this........guys, please make SURE you check your car over when it leaves the dealership. I always make a habit of it, and thank God Jim and I caught this rather basic mechanical oversight.

I am hesitant to trash Key Hyundai here though, because by and large, they have been very good to me as far as timeliness of service and general quality of work performed, and they don't raise any issues with my modifications but like I said earlier, Tyler (TNT) has had some issues with loose lug nuts, etc from their mechanics, so it's a pattern that needs to be addressed with the techs there obviously. Jim P. single handedly saved the dealerships collective bacon as far as I'm concerned, as he was fantastically helpful and very easy to deal with, and as long as he is the service manager there, they will continue to get my business, but I'll be checking my car over as diligently as ever.

To Jim's credit again, he did stress that he would be having a "meeting of the minds" with the tech that botched the wheel job in the A.M. Once I told him about NT.com and that I was a former staff member on the site, he made doubly sure that I understood that the matter will be addressed.

I in turn told him that I would be merciful in my dealership review, and I still stand by Key's work overall, but this kind of oversight is scary to have to contend with. I would just hate to think of what would happen if someone didn't take a noise seriously and actually took their car on the road in such condition.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Thanks for da info, I get my Tib serviced at Universal Nissan-Hyundai and they get A+++ plus I always look around the service bays and check on my tib all the time and ask the tech questions or whatnot.

·
Still lurks on occasion
6,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I wonder what Chase (ShrkByt05) would think of this? He is a Hyundai tech after all.......

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
It sux that we take care of ours tibs so much, and then you take to the dealership and this kinda stuff happens. Little tiny mistakes can really damage any car, and put the driver's life in danger.
Chase whereyouat?

·
and his new kimchi coupe
6,247 Posts
Key was top notch when I bought my tib and our Santa Fe there 4 and 5 years ago respectively. Since, their sales department is still top notch and their PR guy, Eric is one of the best in the business.

Their parts department is one of the best too. They stock the parts I need more than half the time, which is great. If a part needs to be ordered, it is there in 3-4 days max, and I will actually receive a call when it arrives. I have been getting everything at dealer cost for our three hyundais, now two of course, for 5 years and he is a very professional and knowledgeable parts guy.

However, their service department has greatly lapsed in quality in the recent couple years. Loose/leaky drain plugs every other oil change, loose bolts on the engine for gasket replacement, loose lug nuts. It seems their main problem is not being able to tighten anything that has threads. It's ridiculous. There are some really pinheaded techs there and there are a couple well-trained techs as well as the master tech who's a pretty nice guy. There was a service advisor who was there the first year I had my tib (this was before your time, Brad) named Eddie Trinidad who drove a modded 1g eclipse. He made absolutely sure that I got exactly what I needed, never throwing in extra service or anything like that. The work was always done to my level of expectation and in a timely manner. After he left, Claude Cancalon entered and ****ed everything up. Couldn't answer my questions, always had a rushed, nonchalant attitude towards my business, then he got fired. The new guy is a little more professional, but since Eddie left, here's where I must disagree with you Brad, it takes them forever to get anything done.

I waited from 8AM to 2PM once for an oil change. And they open at 8!!!
It took about the same time, more like 7:30AM to 2:30PM to do the alternator on my mom's tib.

Honestly, I haven't found many dealer service departments than can be trusted nowadays.

·
Still lurks on occasion
6,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That is interesting Tyler. I DID wait an extra hour or two one time for an oil change, but I suspected they were just backed up and very busy at the time. Interesting that you mentioned Claude the old service writer too. I personally never had any issues with him and he seemed to take an interest in getting me taken care of, but I guess there is a valid reason he got let go.

Now, the only knock I might have had on John, my service writer from yesterday, was that he seemed kind of nonchalant about my service and seemed rushed when I was talking to him, but I guess that is to be expected in today's automotive service environment most of the time.

·
Still lurks on occasion
6,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh, and I need to go check that oil drain plug now. ;)

·
Still lurks on occasion
6,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Speaking of drain plugs, as of a half an hour ago, I discovered that the stupid idiot of a tech that worked on my car didn't tighten THAT down correctly either! I was leaving to go to the gym and I see a beautiful spot of oil (about a 1/4 of a quart or so I'd guesstimate) on the garage floor after backing out.

So, now I'm pissed. I pull back in the garage and shut off the Tib, set the e-brake, jack the car up, crawl under it, and see the oil blow back all around the oil case and sprayed around the exhaust. Nice......so, after cleaning up the leaked oil; I get the handy dandy ratchet and tighten the drain plug that was, of course, much too loose. Needless to say, I'll be back at Key in the A.M. to give the service dept a piece of my mind.

I was only mildly upset, but now I'm absolutely pissed off. Good thing I haven't driven the Tib for a few days. I estimate I lost a total of about one quart of oil or so.

I guess it's time to start doing my own oil changes.

·
Still lurks on occasion
6,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update again:

Well, went to Key, spoke with Jim (service manager) and John (service advisor). Got 2 free quarts of Mobil Synthetic to replace what I lost and a voucher for a free oil change out of it. Jim also informed me that he charged back the tech that did the work, so basically the tech did it for free. My only question, is where's my hourly labor refund? I probably should have argued for a partial refund on top of the other stuff, but oh well.....

My buddy who works in insurance claims told me he thinks I should have taken the drain plug out all of the way, let my motor blow up, and then made Key Hyundai give me a new motor, but I just can't be quite that cutthroat over a few loose bolts, no matter how asinine it is to have had them left them so loose in the first place.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
did you ever see the guy that worked on it?
(was it the same bay that the tech used when you put it back up after the incedent)
what was his AGE if you seen him.
dont mis understand me, its a pretty big deal, lets call it what it is. FL paper headline (obituaries)
tech leaves wheel lugs untightened, kills FL Tib enthusiast, great loss had in community....
i mean thats a little excesive due to what really hapended (the after effect was mearly tighten it up and leave)
BUT it could happen (think final destination people)
if he was a kid (under 20) let it slide, maybe he got a phone call from his dime piece girlfriend saying get home for a hot BJ, you never know.
if he was a vet, NO EXCUSE, plain and simple, you pull thats **** and the owenr of the car makes a big enough stink about it, thats your job.
it didnt kill you or cause massive damage to the car (both of which are possible. especially with my TYPE driving)and for that you and i are both thankful.
they didnt say **** about your mods so keep going, BUT always check from know on for peice of mind and saftey.
freakin noobz......
Chase

·
Still lurks on occasion
6,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Nope, never saw the tech that originally did the work, and I'm not sure the bay that we looked the car over in was the one used for the "service" originally either.

Thanks Chase.......I do love your commentary and insight, and yeah, from now on, as if I needed any more reason to double or triple check their work. I believe the tech was just a fill in guy though that normally doesn't even work on Hyundai's according to Jim's statement.

Not that this knowledge comforts me considering I dropped $229 on the service.

Oh well, lesson learned.

·
and his new kimchi coupe
6,247 Posts
Incidentally, Key is doing the timing belts and crank seals on the silver tib and the santa fe this weekend. However, it is going to be done under the table by a tech who did the one on my black car. He is a trained technician, not to mention I will be walking around the garage and watching him do some of it, since I'll be waiting on them.

Dale cut me two seals and two belts for $177. Pretty fair I'd say. List price total would be about $220. And the tech is doing each car for $100. Not bad at all.

·
Still lurks on occasion
6,300 Posts
I might have to get in touch with this tech when I need some work done on the cheap myself.

·
and his new kimchi coupe
6,247 Posts
Dually noted.

·
Still lurks on occasion
6,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just as an update, I took the Tib to Key a week or so ago and cashed in the voucher for the free oil change from my last visit. Interestingly, Jim Partridge, the service manager, remembered me, and assured me that it would be done right this time.....which after me mentioning the last mishap to the service writer and having him specifically print on the ticket to make sure the drain plug and lug nuts were tight; they did. I'll still probably start doing my own oil changes, as they take way too long at Key, but at least they did the job right this time.

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
Too bad you guys aren't near DC. Alexandria Hyundai service is the best I have experienced in 50 years of driving many different makes of cars.

·
Registered
89 Posts
my car is at Key Hyundai as we speak. They gave me some warranty troubles with some steering issues I have had as of late....trying to link it to my aftermarket springs and shocks, but I spoke with Jim today and he said he'd check it out for me so we'll see what he comes up with as I know its not an aftermarket part causing the issue.

·
Still lurks on occasion
6,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
At least they aren't like Orange Park Hyundai.......their service manager claimed that the Injen SRI would automatically void the warranty. Needless to say, I never brought my car back there after that little conversation.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Key Hyundai has been nothing but a headache for me. I bought my 03 tib used there in 06 and the clutch started going the next week and they turned me away 3 times saying there was nothing wrong with it till I found a way to prove that it was disengaging properly. Then after *****ing for a month they bring up that there is a TSB and replace it under the TSB. 10k miles later the clutch goes again. Take it back up there they blame the damage on hard driving. I got several written pages signed by tranmission places around town saying damage was not consistant with hard driving and likely cause was improper install. They refused to do anything about it and when I talked to the factory rep he refused to help also. I mean come on I bought the car there then they are going to treat me like crap? Well bought after market had them install it since they already had my transmission spread all over the floor. When I pick it up I notice a noise as Im leaving. Do a U turn come back in. They claim they cant hear it. Say probably my cold air intake Im hearing... Get her home get under her and find an exhaust leak and notice my oil filter also had a hole in it where something had hit it. I fixed both and everything is fine now but damn they put me through hell. The service manager Jim P. lied to my face several times and I wouldnt call him trust worthy. Offered me a free oil change since i was upset about the clutch going out after 10k miles -_- . I will never take my car back there for service or even think about buying another car from them I encourage others in jax to do the same.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts