Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
03 Tib GT. My key fob workers properly, the the locks work properly with the fob. But now my keys cannot unlock the doors. The key will turn in the locked direction when the door is locked. But it cannot turn towards the unlocking direction. Works the same for both doors. And likewise, when the doors are unlocked, then the key will turn in the unlocked direction but cannot turn towards the lock direction. So if my fob battery dies and the doors are locked, the key cannot get me in to the car. I guess I could just never lock the doors but thats not safe. The locks will not operate manually inside the vehicle either. But they change direction when the fob is activated. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Sounds like something is just seized up or really hard to move. If the key moves in the direction the lock is already oriented then the key is correct but just doesn't have enough force to turn it the other way. You may need a new lock cable or something inside the door.

Does it work on the hatch? If so at least you could open it and climb through if the fob quits working.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like something is just seized up or really hard to move. If the key moves in the direction the lock is already oriented then the key is correct but just doesn't have enough force to turn it the other way. You may need a new lock cable or something inside the door.

Does it work on the hatch? If so at least you could open it and climb through if the fob quits working.
Yes- the hatch will unlock. But BOTH doors have the same problem so we think its something electrical. The doors will not lock/unlock when i turn the ignition on/off or does it work with the transmission, i forget. So if i lock the doors with the fob while i am inside before putting key in ignition, i cannot get out of the vehicle after driving without unlocking the doors with the fob. They should unlock automatically.... arghhhhh

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Yeah that is weird that it's both doors. Do you have the lock button on the driver's side by the window switches? Does it do anything?

·
Registered
795 Posts
There really isn't much in the lock actuator that would cause this, they're pretty simple. they don't even have a key-unlock signal like some cars, so if the alarm is active & you unlock the door, the alarm will go off once you open it.

Can you unlock / lock the doors from the lock switch / indicator above the interior door handle?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So another fact.... the passenger window quit working near the same time. After reading pferrairi's post, i tried the window lock button- something i have not ever use. and although the window lock button was not activated, the window would not operate. i pushed the window lock button a few times and now that window it working! a miracle.

However, the lock situation has nor changed. Evenger- The manual switches inside move ONLY when the fob is used- they will not move manually without the fob.

·
Registered
795 Posts
So another fact.... the passenger window quit working near the same time. After reading pferrairi's post, i tried the window lock button- something i have not ever use. and although the window lock button was not activated, the window would not operate. i pushed the window lock button a few times and now that window it working! a miracle.

However, the lock situation has nor changed. Evenger- The manual switches inside move ONLY when the fob is used- they will not move manually without the fob.
The fact the manual switches don't move either make me think it's a mechanism problem. last thing you can do to rule out electrical is see if you can move it with the car's battery disconnected. if it still doesn't work, I would chock it up to a mechanical failure in the actuator.
Also: have you tried unlocking / locking it with the door open?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The fact the manual switches don't move either make me think it's a mechanism problem. last thing you can do to rule out electrical is see if you can move it with the car's battery disconnected. if it still doesn't work, I would chock it up to a mechanical failure in the actuator.
They move back and forth when the fab is activate. They don't budge when trying to move manually.

·
Registered
795 Posts
They move back and forth when the fab is activate. They don't budge when trying to move manually.
Yes, I gathered that from your previous post.

If the locks do not move freely by hand with the door open or the battery disconnected, I would have to assume it's a problem related to the door latch mechanism. Beyond that, I can't help much from this side of the screen.

·
Administrator
8,951 Posts
I'm with you.....FWIW......

I suggest, opening each door, removing interior panels (to get to lock mechanisms) and using a lube (I prefer FluidFilm, silicone is a second). Soak the frig out of the stuff that latches the door.
Leave the interior panels off for now.

Move stuff around multiple times, see how it goes. Better at this point with interior panels off than on.

Sounds like key actuation is getting borderline but the lock solenoid can make it work. Lube now....really....

Reactions: The_Evenger
1 - 10 of 10 Posts