Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

KJBMotorsports Delrin Trailing Arm Bushings

DIY: 
7K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Paxfaux 
#1 · (Edited)
This is a step-by-step do it yourself guide to installing the delrin trailing arm bushings from KJBMotorsports. You can purchase them here: http://www.kjbmotorsports.com/suspen-hyu-tibv6-delrin.html

**First of all, please note that I am not responsible for any issues that may arise during or after your time installing these.**

This is not the only way to install these, it is simply the way that I went about doing it. If you have installed these and have a more efficient or easier way in doing this, please post in this thread and I will edit this DIY.

Tools Needed:
-14mm Box End Wrench x2
-Car Jack
-Jack Stands
-Standard Suspension Lube/Grease
-Ratchet
-21mm Socket
-17mm Socket(this socket size will vary with the ball joint press you have or rent)
-Ball Joint Press(This is an expensive tool, but it can be rented at any of your autoparts store. It was a little over hundred dollars to rent at autozone, but I received every bit of my money back after I returned it. And just so everyone knows exactly what this is, heres a link to what they look like: http://quad4x4.com/images/TS4582.jpg )

Optional:
-Air Tools
-WD40
-Table Vise
-Hammer
-Small Piece of 2x4 Wood
-Beer(Your Choice)

Parts needed:
-Delrin Trailing Arm Bushings

Step 1:
Jack the rear end of the car up with your jack, place jack stands underneath(I place them under the crossmember)to support the car, and remove either one of the wheels, or both(I did one side at a time, just because I find it easier) with your ratchet and 21mm socket. *I don't think I need to post pictures of this, but will if requested*

Step 2:
Locate the 14mm bolts holding the trailings arms in place and spray them down with WD40.(This is not necessary because these bolts are fairly easy to unbolt, just makes things a bit easier). Take your 2 14mm box end wrench's and begin unbolting the 14mm bolts located near the rotors first using a double wrenching motion until the bolt is loose, then remove it.

Step 3:
Now move on to the next bolt located near the sideskirt. Use the 2 14mm box end wrench's to again double wrench the bolt loose, and remove it. This will remove the trailing arm from the car.

Step 4:
Now that you have the trailing arm off the car, you can now remove the stock rubber bushing located on one side of the arm. This is where the ball-joint press comes in to play. Using a table vise(I'm sure there are other ways to do this, but this makes it a ton easier), clamp the trailing arm down. Now take the ball-joint press and line the open end of it with the bushing so that when you are pressing the bushing out the bushing will just pop right through. Get the press going with your hand then grab a ratchet with a 17mm socket and start turning the press's nut. The bushing will slowly, but shirly start to come out as you continue to turn the nut on the press(this will take a while, but you will get the bushing out, no worries). *Sorry, no pictures of the removal of the bushing on the arm itself using the vise, but there's a picture of the ball-joint press in action on the bushing on the car further down*

Step 5:
After you have removed the stock bushing from the actually trailing arm itself, it's now time to do the same to the other bushing that is still on the car. Grab the ball-joint press, and line the open end of it with the bushing slot like you did on the trailing arm(Make sure you have the open end of the press on the side closer to the rotor other wise you won't have any room). Get it started with your hand, and then again use your ratchet and 17mm socket to continue turning the nut on the press. Continue until the stock bushing is pressed completely out.

Step 6:
Take the new delrin bushings, lube them up generously with standard suspension lube, and one piece at a time(there are three pieces per bushing) place them in the slot where the old stock bushing was on the trailing arm and where the stock bushing was on the car. The first piece should slide in fairly easily, but you may have a problem with the second half of the bushing. If you do, this is where I used the hammer. I simply placed a piece of wood on the bushing and hammered the bushing in. I used the wood to prevent direct contact with the hammer and bushing. And lastly, slide the steel sleeves through the bushings.

Step 7:
Take your trailing arm that now has the new delrin bushing installed, and proceed to reattatch the trailing arm(bolt near the sideskirt first). This is another part of the install where the hammer comes into play. I don't know if it was just the bushings I recieved or if this is just how they are, but the bolt would not simply slide through the sleeve. You will need to hammer the bolt through the sleeve if it wont go through by pushing it. There isn't much room down there to do this, but you can still hammer it far enough to get the nut started on the bolt thread so you can just double wrench the bolt the rest of the way until it as tight as it was when you first unbolted it.

Step 8:
Now reattatch the other end of the trailing arm to the car. Again, you may have problems getting the bolt through the bushing sleeve. Just hammer the bolt through the sleeve until you can start double wrenching the bolt. *No pic of this, sorry*

Step 9:
Once both bolts are reattatched, make sure they are both tightened down as much as you can by hand. Put the wheel back on, and then repeat for the opposite side of the car.

Step 10:
Enjoy the new piece of your suspension, you're finished.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Total time of install for me was about 6 hours. This was a combination of eating, figuring out that I needed a press, instead of using a air hammer to remove the bushings:3_frusty:, and having to go get it. If you have all these tools and read through this it should only take you a few hours or less.

*Make sure you lube/grease the bushings up quite a bit. They are advertised as self-lubricating, but like any bushing they still need to be greased up.*

These were installed along with Ingalls Smart Arms, Ark DT-P Coilovers, Ark Rear Sway Bar, KJBMotorsports Rear Endlinks, Ark Rear Strut Tower Bar, and Ark Front Strut Tower Bar as part of my suspension overhaul. So I'm not exactly sure as to how much of a difference they made for me. But I would still definitely recommend these to anyone. My suspension feels amazing and I'm certain these are part of the reason for that. Plus for a mere 60 bucks and a few hours of your time, why not?

Any thoughts, comments, and suggestions to make this DIY better for this community are welcome.

And these are just a few pictures that may be helpful:
Just a picture of the trailing arm itself along with delrin bushing(disregard the two bolts in the upper left hand corner)

Picture of the bolts you will taking off and putting on in order to do this install

Picture without the trailing arm on the car

This is the set of air tools I picked up about a year or so ago. They are pretty cheap tools, but they work and make things a lot easier

Let me know if you have any questions! I hope this DIY helps some of you out there that have been looking into doing this.

-Generalduke-

See less See more
#2 ·
Re: DIY: KJBMotorsports Delrin Trailing Arm Bushings

did u feel any difference with this mod?

#3 ·
Re: DIY: KJBMotorsports Delrin Trailing Arm Bushings

did u feel any difference with this mod?
I can't really say, as these were installed with other bigger suspension mods. They haven't given me any issues, plus they were cheap. I'm sure they help, I just don't really have a way of knowing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.