Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner
21 - 40 of 46 Posts
Discussion starter · #21 ·
Re: DIY: Koni Adjustable Inserts

yes, but that would take precise measuring. If you look at the final assembly, you will see that there is a yellow flange on the end of the insert, i have not measured but you MUST cut a sufficient amount off to make sure the bottom of the insert is flush against the bottom base of the strut body. otherwise the flange will hit the strut body (area where you cut) and then the bottom of the insert will not butt up against the bottom of the housing. THEN your struts will be unequal length. If the bottom of the insert is against the bottom of the strut housing, it guarantees the struts are equal length.

Are the inserts and the actual Koni Yellow struts pretty much the same as far as durability?

I was reading through and trying to see if the inserts were the cheaper route instead of just buying the full Koni yellow struts?

Are the inserts and the actual Koni Yellow struts pretty much the same as far as durability?

I was reading through and trying to see if the inserts were the cheaper route instead of just buying the full Koni yellow struts?
koni doesnt offer a full strut for the tib, the insert is the only option. I know KJB had a picture of the full strut but it is only the insert.

thanks brooni23...i thought i heard something like that a while ago but never looked into it and i see on ebay and other sites they advertise the sale for struts and doesn't say inserts so its decieving...i'm guessing they will work for KYB stuts as well...i made the mistake of buying them 2 years ago and the rears are shot to hell

thanks brooni23...i thought i heard something like that a while ago but never looked into it and i see on ebay and other sites they advertise the sale for struts and doesn't say inserts so its decieving...i'm guessing they will work for KYB stuts as well...i made the mistake of buying them 2 years ago and the rears are shot to hell
ya they'll work, they are quite fun to have so if you want to fall in love with your car again, buy em :D

are they really as easy as the DIY makes it seem?

ya i used a saw zaw to cut the struts, did most of em myself. We used a grinder to get a smooth finish. The hardest part was the hole on the bottom. Make sure it's in the center. one of mine was off and it caused a bit of an issue. so just measure a center point before drilling the bottom

Just did these, was really easy.

heh i remember doing this. i miss my koni/tein setup especially because my oems are blown.

I am in the process of installing the konis on my car and have the struts all put back together. Now i am trying to put the spring back on the rear strut and the threaded part of the strut will not fit through the rear strut insulator. The hole on the insulator is slightly "D" shaped and will not allow the round strut throught the hole. I already through away the old inner parts last week so i dont know if the old strut was "D" shaped for this hole or not.

Anyone else have this problem? can i just drill the hole a little bigger so that the top of the strut will fit?

Alright so i just read on HMA service that the hole i am talking about is supposed to be D shaped......why is the koni strut not D shaped? How do i make this work?

Alright so i just read on HMA service that the hole i am talking about is supposed to be D shaped......why is the koni strut not D shaped? How do i make this work?
we solved this for you in another thread, but the answer is that the rear upper mount needs its key way drilled out in order to accept the rear koni shocks.

to add more useful info:

1. you have to hack up the struts like this: 11.5inches from the bottom of the strut on the front, and 12.5 inches from the bottom on the rear.

2. the hex key size is an 8mm
3. the top nut for the front is a 19mm, but i wouldn't advise using the lock washer/flat nut that comes with the kit. mine came off on me before. go get yourself a flat washer and a a locknut in the same size (i'll update with the thread size when i buy them tomorrow)

4. here's a scanned copy of the instruction sheet.

[/URL][/IMG]

we solved this for you in another thread, but the answer is that the rear upper mount needs its key way drilled out in order to accept the rear koni shocks.

to add more useful info:

1. you have to hack up the struts like this: 11.5inches from the bottom of the strut on the front, and 12.5 inches from the bottom on the rear.

2. the hex key size is an 8mm
3. the top nut for the front is a 19mm, but i wouldn't advise using the lock washer/flat nut that comes with the kit. mine came off on me before. go get yourself a flat washer and a a locknut in the same size (i'll update with the thread size when i buy them tomorrow)

4. here's a scanned copy of the instruction sheet.

[/URL][/IMG]
well editing doesnt work, so the locknut needs to be 12mmX1.25 extra fine thread.

Do we have part numbers for the insert? Surely there's more than one type...
to my knowledge they only make these if you direct order from koni and beg like hell.

I looked at an old picture i have and it appears that the number on there is 1422Sport. It looks like there is more numbers/letter before that but that is all I can clearly see. I can look for more information sometime this weekend, if you'd like. (It's at my parents place)

to my knowledge they only make these if you direct order from koni and beg like hell.

I looked at an old picture i have and it appears that the number on there is 1422Sport. It looks like there is more numbers/letter before that but that is all I can clearly see. I can look for more information sometime this weekend, if you'd like. (It's at my parents place)
That'd be great! I've found a couple threads on the inserts around the forums here that have some wildly differing part numbers. I'm working to compile all the info I can before contacting Koni or a reseller or whatever...

I'll be getting this info tomorrow. Didn't have time this weekend. Sorry buddy
that's ok, I forgive you. :diaf:

I won't be pulling the trigger on this for a little while anyways, just doing the research. Thank you again!

21 - 40 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.