Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok well i have my widebody kit and my stock suspension seems shot, since there seems like enough clearance but as soon as i start driving the rear especially starts dippin and rubbing alot and i burned n melted away a few millimeters of my tires just driving 10 mins away form my house.

So im lookin for a new suspension kit. I would love to go wit SS Tien Coilovers but i have spent soo much lately on my car that just seems out of my price range now. So i was thinkin about goin with and Damper n Spring Set up.

As for shocks in struts the main types i saw for our car was the Eibach Pro Damper Kits and the Koni Yellow Shocks n Struts. i wanted if any of u guys perfer one over the other. i know the Koni are adustable and the Eibach seem not to be but the Konis in every site i go to r at least $200-300 more expensive then the Eibach...

As for the Springs i have heard nothing but good things about the S-Tech Tein Springs and was considering those but is it wiser to get the Eibach Springs if i end up gettin the Eibach Dampers? Like do they fit more precisely together or is one a more comfortable ride then the other?? thanks guys

·
Registered
11,412 Posts
check the for sale section o5gt is selling ksport coilovers for 850 shipped. its only gonna be a couple hundred more then getting the dampers and springs

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
Where will you find the eibachs.... that is the question :p

·
Registered
486 Posts
if i had a choice, i would get the koni's... i was planning on getting teins, but then i decided to get a set of springs that wouldn't wear my stock struts out prematurely cuz i don't really NEED coilovers or adjustable struts for daily driving and occasional autoX. i think you're better off getting a nice set of springs, a rear sway bar, and a front strut bar... that';ll make your car handle 100x better.

but either way, if u get the konis they'll be a little more expensive, plus you'll have to hack off part of your stock strut and mount the konis into the strut housing... so there's a lot more work involved, and unless you get an extra set of stock struts, you'll have at least a couple days of down time (won't be able to drive the car). If you have someone else do it (which i doubt a shop would comfortably do) it'll cost you at least $300 (costs about $150-$200 to put new springs on). So JUST with the Konis plus install, you're spending more than if you were to buy the coilovers that are for sale on the forums.
Add in the cost of new springs, and you're at around $900... so you might as well buy NEW coilovers with that.
the costs:
- konis- on www.tirerack.com, that would be about $580 for all 4.
set of stock struts- i dunno, like $100? OR install- like $300 at least
- springs- www.k2motor.com has teins for $155 shipped, e-bay has them for around $165. I got the espelirs from r100s on the forums and they're awesome (supposedly, they won't make the stock struts fail prematurely).

so i would say get coilovers if you don't want to do any of the spring and strut work yourself... if you're willing to do all the work/install, then you may save a couple $100 over coilovers... (you also have to consider the cost of installing coilovers if you don't want to do it yourself- tho installing coilovers would be easier than doing all the strut/spring work- i.e. no damn spring compressors!!)

hope that helps.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
staw512 said:
check the for sale section o5gt is selling ksport coilovers for 850 shipped. its only gonna be a couple hundred more then getting the dampers and springs
I saw the Ksport Coilovers but i have read in alot of forums that its a really stiff ride and i do alot of Daily driving in the car.
And as for the suspension whether i get coilovers or shocks/springs ill have it taken to get installed since i wouldnt want to risk messin something up.

I like the fact that the koni's r adjustable but the way u guys make it seem that its gonna be more work then its worth installin them since i have to hack up my stock parts for it to work.
I found like 2 sites that had Eibach but in low stock.

i can get the dampers n springs for about $600 or so, without any adjustablity... Is it more reasonable to just wait it out until i can get money for the Tien Coilovers

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
bxblazin69 said:
I saw the Ksport Coilovers but i have read in alot of forums that its a really stiff ride and i do alot of Daily driving in the car.
And as for the suspension whether i get coilovers or shocks/springs ill have it taken to get installed since i wouldnt want to risk messin something up.

I like the fact that the koni's r adjustable but the way u guys make it seem that its gonna be more work then its worth installin them since i have to hack up my stock parts for it to work.
I found like 2 sites that had Eibach but in low stock.

i can get the dampers n springs for about $600 or so, without any adjustablity... Is it more reasonable to just wait it out until i can get money for the Tien Coilovers
it really depends on what your higher goal is with the car... are you planning on continuing to drive it daily? if so i would just go with the eibachs, as its going to be a nice setup for the street.. the tein coilovers will be adjustable, but are really going to be doing alot of suspension tuning? unless youre planning on taking it to the track all the time i would say that the teins coilovers arent worth it right now.. btw, the drop and the ride on the eibach vs. the tein springs is about the same.. you might as well go with the eibach springs if youre going with the eibach struts..

·
Registered
109 Posts
"bxblazin69" what size rims u got on +what offset are they ?
If it rubs at stock suspension height,u'll need really stiff dampers if u loweren it !
:3_offtopi Does anyone know if the Koni inserts fits the 05 tib ?
While fitting the Pro-kit springs afew weeks ago I noticed 1 of the front dampers was busted.
Looked on the Koni site says it only fits the 49mm strut !

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Here is a link to my post about a Ebay seller who has 15 Pro Damper struts kits; no springs. I have read on here that someone has bought from him before.

·
Premium Member
3,782 Posts
Konis might be a bit more work to install since you have to disassemble the stock strut, however they are FAR superior in performance to the eibachs. I don't know why you are all hung up on the fact that eibach doesn't make shocks....

If you want a OEM replacement with a little stiffer valving, get the KYB GR2s. If you want a more performance oriented shock, get the Koni Yellows. And if you want an all out performance setup, go with the Tein or ksport coilovers.

·
Registered
486 Posts
for daily driving, i would just get either the espelir ASDs, or the eibachs... if you get teins, you'll definitely need new shocks within the next 6-12 months... i know the stock shocks should last 1-2 years with the espelirs...
coilovers can be a pain too cuz you have to calibrate the whole suspension... too much adjustability when you don't really need it also isn't good.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
last I heard the Eibachs were low on stock,,,,,,but I don't know if that's changed recently.
The Konis do involve more work to put them on, but they're well worth the effort. #1 they are adjustable wheras the Eibachs are not, so you can say I like a stiffer ride,,,or a softer ride and you're not stuck with
something you may or may not like.

·
Banned
3,665 Posts
im lowered on koni's and tein and my car handles amazing, if it wasnt for the fact that my tires suck im sure i could take turns even faster than what i do now. i go around on ramps so fast i scare my friends w/e they ride with me ahaha

·
Premium Member
3,782 Posts
ViolentB said:
last I heard the Eibachs were low on stock,,,,,,but I don't know if that's changed recently.
The Konis do involve more work to put them on, but they're well worth the effort. #1 they are adjustable wheras the Eibachs are not, so you can say I like a stiffer ride,,,or a softer ride and you're not stuck with
something you may or may not like.
Agreed. I think everyone gets hung up on 1) The install of Konis, and 2)The Eibach name. Yes the eibachs are probably good shocks, but the Konis are superior in probably every way, and are adjustable.

·
Registered
85 Posts
WayTooFast said:
im lowered on koni's and tein and my car handles amazing, if it wasnt for the fact that my tires suck im sure i could take turns even faster than what i do now. i go around on ramps so fast i scare my friends w/e they ride with me ahaha
how much of a process was it to adapt them to your stock strut's? I've done a million installs but never had to cut into or modify anything...with the exception of removing the old ones:3_smile:

·
Banned
434 Posts
Malogus said:
Agreed. I think everyone gets hung up on 1) The install of Konis, and 2)The Eibach name. Yes the eibachs are probably good shocks, but the Konis are superior in probably every way, and are adjustable.

I feel the eibachs are valved a bit too stiff for anything that is not smoothly paved. PLUS you can't get them anywhere. I dont know about the ebay guy that has some. I am very concerned about those being knock off because no reputable sellers have had eibachs in about a year. Personally, for the money, and what is out there I would get the ksport coilovers that 05GT is selling. The konis + springs + install are going to run you in the same area as the coilovers. And the coilovers are complete drop ins after unclaping all of 6 bolts(after you take the wheels off) then get an alignment and you are done.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
antiquity said:
I feel the eibachs are valved a bit too stiff for anything that is not smoothly paved. PLUS you can't get them anywhere. I dont know about the ebay guy that has some. I am very concerned about those being knock off because no reputable sellers have had eibachs in about a year. Personally, for the money, and what is out there I would get the ksport coilovers that 05GT is selling. The konis + springs + install are going to run you in the same area as the coilovers. And the coilovers are complete drop ins after unclaping all of 6 bolts(after you take the wheels off) then get an alignment and you are done.
Your right to a certain extent. However to fully utilize the coilovers hes going to need to get his car corner balanced.

·
Banned
434 Posts
a neat feature and ability with coilovers but unless he is doing a lot of tracking it is unnecessary to corner balance the car.

i never said fully utilize. i would guess he doesnt track a lot otherwise he would probably a) know he should just get the coilover setup espically for a comperable amount of money and b) probably know how to and want to install it himself.

but for roughly the same cost there is no reason to not get a full coilover setup. Yes the konis will be a beter shock than any of the other options but will be more expensive and a bit more involved install. plus then you have the stock shock bodies with have the kind of problems that we all know about. The eibachs are not going to be found anywhere for any reason. That leaves very few options and even less good options. The coilovers are really the best way to go. Espically for the price.

·
Registered
720 Posts
yeah i talked to a few of my friends who are into engine swapping and the street racing scene, and they all but laughed in my face when i told them about 'balancing out' coilovers.

so i agree, unless youre going around a track or doing some crazy mountain driving, go with coilovers so u can adjust the height whenever you want and dont worry about that, or the barometric pressure...or the color of the coilover. =)

now myself, am very cheap, and can only do things in month intervals, so i'll be going with tein lowering springs, and after reading this thread and a few months on the stock shox, probably koni yellows. 'sides, that ish would look nice (what you could see of it).

1 - 20 of 23 Posts