Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I had *****ed about how bumpy the ride was in the past, but after taking a look at this post:

http://www.newtiburon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89350

I went in and did some adjustment to the springs. I basically re-set the preload in order to try and make the ride better, and it's like night and day difference. I have the bottom spring perch exactly 8.5" from the top mount, and the shocks set to three full turns from the softest setting. The ride is VERY nice considering they are coilovers.

So anyone considering the ksports, hopefully that will help you out. I know I had been complaining about the ride in a number of other threads, but I think it was more user error than actual poorly designed product. Hopefully anyone thinking of buying them will see this if they do a search...

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
I was looking at getting these... do they help body roll at all?

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Of course they do. They reduce the center of gravity, as well as increase the shock and spring rates.

·
Registered
228 Posts
If you have them at three turns from softest, isn't it about stiff as stock springs??? That wouldn't help you alot with body rolls.

How many turns to hardest setting??? I need coilovers, I think my stock shocks are gone...

·
Registered
228 Posts
oh, also, you can counter weight balance your car, which will even out the weights put on each four.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
the spring rate's on the coilover's are usually much higher than stock rate's.... that's where most of the stiffness comes from....
match that up with damper's that are a little stiffer and it's possible to get a whole lotta stiff real fast.

·
Premium Member
5,304 Posts
the spring rate's on the coilover's are usually much higher than stock rate's.... that's where most of the stiffness comes from....
match that up with damper's that are a little stiffer and it's possible to get a whole lotta stiff real fast.
Sorry if I resurrected an old thread but I was curious--how is your K-Sport coilovers holding up? What settings (in clicks) do you use for a daily driver and for aggressive driving (track, mountain road, etc)?

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
^ Me too, I used to hate on K-Sport sooo much, runours are that they had lately up'd the ante and been coming out with better products much like Megan Racing has done for other cars. I want coils now and am thinking about considering them.

Personally I cannot wait to get coils and get them dialed in. I have a very large area to play with my corning on that's off the road, aka my back parking area. woot.

·
Registered
905 Posts
I've had mine for about 2 months even though my car is in the shop. In the diagram they give u they tell you to turn the dampening all the way cw and then two full turns ccw to set the spring rate to standard settings. I've turned mine another 2 - 1.5 turns past the 2 ccw turns for auto-x and curvy roads no body roll what so ever!!

Of course I think it has to do with which coils you have too I have the GT-Pro's

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Sorry if I resurrected an old thread but I was curious--how is your K-Sport coilovers holding up? What settings (in clicks) do you use for a daily driver and for aggressive driving (track, mountain road, etc)?
Im actually not running ksports.
Was running Quest units.... spring rates are the same tho. 7k front 5k rear.
in the end i was running the rear preload as soft as it would go
front preloaded just enough to get neutral handling (quest had a dual spring setup with helper springs so it the actual dimension doesnt apply the same to the Ksports)
had my rear dampers set pretty close to full stiff and front dampers set a little lower...
sadly the quest dampers were pretty lacking in the rebound compression so the car would bounce a little with anything but zero preload.

I've since moved on to a set of KYB struts and stock springs (for now) the ride is MUCH more comfertable for daily driving. i'll proly lower it in the spring...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Im actually not running ksports.
Was running Quest units.... spring rates are the same tho. 7k front 5k rear.
in the end i was running the rear preload as soft as it would go
front preloaded just enough to get neutral handling (quest had a dual spring setup with helper springs so it the actual dimension doesnt apply the same to the Ksports)
had my rear dampers set pretty close to full stiff and front dampers set a little lower...
sadly the quest dampers were pretty lacking in the rebound compression so the car would bounce a little with anything but zero preload.

I've since moved on to a set of KYB struts and stock springs (for now) the ride is MUCH more comfertable for daily driving. i'll proly lower it in the spring...
how is the ride of the KYB's compared with the stock ones?

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
how is the ride of the KYB's compared with the stock ones?
I had the softer stock struts and softer stock springs...
the kyb's opened a whole can of whoop *** on the stock dampers.
when i was putting them in i checked the kyb's vs the stockers by hand moving the rod in and out.....
thought they felt about the same... was kinda dissapointed....
only after the install was finished did i realize that i was comparing a rear kyb strut to a front stock strut....
the car is now difficult to rock by hand..... the stockers would rock hard by hand but not bounce the ride is STIFF but not harsh....I'd compare it to being hit in the face with a dead blow hammer (KYB's) vs being hit in the face with a comparably sized hammer (coilovers) vs being hit in the face with a baloon hammer (stock) cornering has significantly improved.....
overall im REALLY happy with them.
best of all that gross sloppy feeling is gone...

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
My concern is the dampening actually still being extremely off and the spring rates also.

I'll have to find the thread on another forum but a test was done with them and even with the left side on the softest setting and the right side on the hardest, the left rear was still harder then the right rear.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts