1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Funny you should ask, I'm looking at the same shocks. I was going to post the same question.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I am also but I think I am going to pick up your tabs for the just in case. Other cars have been using these shocks with the eibach springs for years now. This was the setup of choice for the 5th gen monte carlo guys, although the struts are cheaper for them. I have been debating this for over a month now. By the way, ajusa.com has them for $75 a piece + free shipping if your worried about ebay.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
CiZiN said:
I am also but I think I am going to pick up your tabs for the just in case. Other cars have been using these shocks with the eibach springs for years now. This was the setup of choice for the 5th gen monte carlo guys, although the struts are cheaper for them. I have been debating this for over a month now. By the way, ajusa.com has them for $75 a piece + free shipping if your worried about ebay.
I did a set for an NT member last weekend. He came up from MD. Had it done in less than 3 hrs. Ready when you are. The KYB's on ebay look like a good deal.

·
Sam:Moderator of the Dead
2,220 Posts
Depending on how they are installed? I wonder if they are the same install as the Koni's? Considering I paid right about 500 for my Koni's, I would say they are a good deal.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
GR-2's are not adjustable. But from what I've read/heard the adjustment sould be used to compensate for strut wear. As the shocks get softer, tighten up on the dampening.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
These were the shocks I had on my cavalier, they were great for lowered cars.
They do provide a stiffer ride than stock. The installation is nothing like the Koni's, these are
direct replacements, no cutting involved.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So the ride wont be any smoother. Caue there is this road to my house and it sucks, its killing my car and it will be awhile before they re do it.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
PSPTibby---When you say "smooth ride" do you mean like a cadillac ?
because with any plans on lowering a vehicle the ride will be more stiff than stock,
meaning that if you roll over a 3" rock you will feel the rock in your butt as you ride over it.
If you roll over that same 3" rock with a stock suspension you wouldn't notice it..
As far as the Eibach, KYB, Koni, the eibachs and kyb's won't be nearly as stiff a ride
as the koni's will be,,,BUT you can adjust the konis to your liking.

·
Registered
204 Posts
ive put kyb agx ajustables on a few cars ive owned and have nothing but good things to say about them. they rock but i also get wholesale on them so i dont really know what they normally go for.

·
Premium Member
3,782 Posts
psiracer06 said:
ive put kyb agx ajustables on a few cars ive owned and have nothing but good things to say about them. they rock but i also get wholesale on them so i dont really know what they normally go for.
KYB doesn't make the AGX's for our cars. I have emailed them multiple times on this.

As far as ride quality, alot of the quality comes not only from the shocks, but the spring rates and tire sidewall profile. You can't just look at the shocks and expect them to make the car handle like a dream, alot of it is the springs as well. And when you get into the short sidewalls like on 17's and 18's, you also will sacrifice ride quality, as there is less tire to cushion.

·
Premium Member
3,782 Posts
Toschinator said:
Aren't GR-2s just supposed to be OEM replacements... not meant for much performance-wise?
GR-2® Premium Shocks and Struts are specially designed to provide a smooth, secure ride with excellent control for drivers who are looking for ride comfort and improved handling. With its patented check valve, the GR-2® Premium Shocks and Struts always maintain excellent performance under even the roughest conditions. It also provides comfort and control that is often better than original equipment. GR-2® Premium Shocks and Struts are available for virtually all vehicles on the road today.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Malogus said:
GR-2® Premium Shocks and Struts are specially designed to provide a smooth, secure ride with excellent control for drivers who are looking for ride comfort and improved handling. With its patented check valve, the GR-2® Premium Shocks and Struts always maintain excellent performance under even the roughest conditions. It also provides comfort and control that is often better than original equipment. GR-2® Premium Shocks and Struts are available for virtually all vehicles on the road today.
Translated from sales talk = OEM except maybe it lasts longer...

·
Premium Member
3,782 Posts
Toschinator said:
Translated from sales talk = OEM except maybe it lasts longer...
Yeah, but whats wrong with the OEM? As far as OEM, I thought they were very aggressively valved, they just blow pretty easily when you lower your car. These are higher quality and should last you longer.

Like ViolentB, I also had them on my last car (200sx) and thought they were good for the money. MADCOW8ME installed them about 2 weeks back on his tib, so he might be good to ask his impressions of them.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Malogus said:
Yeah, but whats wrong with the OEM? As far as OEM, I thought they were very aggressively valved, they just blow pretty easily when you lower your car. These are higher quality and should last you longer.

Like ViolentB, I also had them on my last car (200sx) and thought they were good for the money. MADCOW8ME installed them about 2 weeks back on his tib, so he might be good to ask his impressions of them.
Yeah I guess your right... maybe I will just give in and get some of these then...

·
Registered
542 Posts
Malogus said:
Well the only other options at this point are OEM, KYB GR2s, or Koni inserts.
Yeah... KYB claims they have AGX in development for us (emailed them)... but no details...
Don't really want to go the Koni route... My struts are starting to feel a little floaty so I might end up with those GR2s...

1 - 20 of 39 Posts