Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok. So I got my head back from the shop and installed it AGAIN. This time I made sure I didnt put the headspacer on upside down (like a dolt!). Anyways, everything fit... this time.

And once again... I had a leak between the head and the block. So once again, I took the top part of the engine apart. Upon close inspection of the head spacer, gasket, and block I realized that every hole in the three match up perfectly. However there are some holes alone the center of the block (if you cut it in half longways ie: left to right) that dont match up with the gasket and spacer. the holes in the block are triangular and alot larger than the small ROUND holes in the gasket/spacer.

So all that to ask: Does the 2006 I4 need a different gasket/head spacer than previous years. I cant understand why I had another leak... AGAIN!!

And. With all the burning of oil and water in the cylinders. My pistons look like crap now. This car is like 5 months old. Have drivin it maybe 2 of those months and the pistons look like they're ancient! Is there some sort of cleaning solution I can buy to clean up my pistons

thanx.

ps: I've taken my head off so many times maybe I need to start training Hyundai tech guys. LOL.

·
Premium Member
3,168 Posts
Take a picture before you put it back together. I see no reason why they would have changed the head gasket at all, but who knows. Dumb question but are you using 2 gaskets to reinstall the spacer? You need one on top and one on bottom, though if you've removed it this many times I am sure you've already purchased two. Another idea is are both of the gaskets in good shape? Not cracked, torn etc etc? I need a picture to compare with mine or anyone else's to know for sure though.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Red2.0Tib said:
Take a picture before you put it back together. I see no reason why they would have changed the head gasket at all, but who knows. Dumb question but are you using 2 gaskets to reinstall the spacer? You need one on top and one on bottom, though if you've removed it this many times I am sure you've already purchased two. Another idea is are both of the gaskets in good shape? Not cracked, torn etc etc? I need a picture to compare with mine or anyone else's to know for sure though.

no prob. ill put pix up tonight. One of the block the other of the gasket. yes two gaskets. they were brand new. purchased a new set (again) just in case.

Its just weird that It would leak. gaskets on right and in good shape... spacer in good shape and on right.

Im about to pull out my hair. like i said before... I havent had my car for 3 months!

I'm also about to call hyundai about the gasket.

thanx

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
use superglue.

sorry to hear that this matter is delayed so much..

·
Registered
8,088 Posts
Double check and make sure everything is the right way. The little tabs on the OEM gaskets need to be pointing towards the radiator. Looking at the below pic of a spacer plate which way is yours mounted? LIke I said they only go one way where everything lines up.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
dmdicks said:
Double check and make sure everything is the right way. The little tabs on the OEM gaskets need to be pointing towards the radiator. Looking at the below pic of a spacer plate which way is yours mounted? LIke I said they only go one way where everything lines up.
I double checked that the tabs were facing forward. everything was installed correctly.

called hyundai. They said that the 2003-2006 gaskets are EXACTLY the same. So that means that...

a. the gaskets were damaged.
b. the head spacer is warped or not properly drilled
c. the gasket spray i used on the spacer and gaskets caused some sort of problem

I know this is a stupid question... but. On the turbo itself, the top and bottom lines are the oil feed (top) and return (bottom). And the banjo bolt is the water feed (radiator side) and the return is on the engine side? right?

use superglue.

apkraven are u serious? -----> want to clean pistons...

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
no , klouud, i'm not, i just wish you luck in solving this matter. tomorrow or the next day i'll try to stick rpw 1.5mm and one stock gasket (they're both composed as stock gaskets)

·
Banned
434 Posts
klouud said:
And. With all the burning of oil and water in the cylinders. My pistons look like crap now. This car is like 5 months old. Have drivin it maybe 2 of those months and the pistons look like they're ancient! Is there some sort of cleaning solution I can buy to clean up my pistons

thanx.

ps: I've taken my head off so many times maybe I need to start training Hyundai tech guys. LOL.

you better get any water/coolant out of there and probably should take off the oil pan and make sure there is none in there and change the oil out. That could be a serious problem.

I would start with the basic things. Check and double check and check again that the spacers and gaskets all line up and are on correctly. Did you torque all the head bolts down to spec and in the correct order? Umm...outside of that stuff i dont understand why you would have leaking issues. Are you using any kind of gasket sealent between the layers?

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
btw, is the gasket sealant needed between them?

·
Banned
434 Posts
dont know as i havent taken the head off this car yet so i havnt read into the specifications on it yet. I thought i would toss it out there since we have some people in this thread that would know.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
antiquity said:
you better get any water/coolant out of there and probably should take off the oil pan and make sure there is none in there and change the oil out. That could be a serious problem.

I would start with the basic things. Check and double check and check again that the spacers and gaskets all line up and are on correctly. Did you torque all the head bolts down to spec and in the correct order? Umm...outside of that stuff i dont understand why you would have leaking issues. Are you using any kind of gasket sealent between the layers?
Yeah. I've changed the oil, filter, and coolant every... EVERY...EVERY!!!! Time I started the darn thing up and sprang... SPRANG... SPRANG!!!! a leak. The head bolts are taken off in sequence and to spec... they are also installed in sequence and to spec. Also I make sure the bottom of the head and block are clean. And I get all the water out of the cylinders.

I did use a spray sealant this LAST time. That is one of the factors that may have sprung the leak.

My dad is supposed to send me some pix of the spacer, gasket, and block tonight. hopefully I can get them up tonight.

I am buying my gaskets from Auto-Zone. They are getting the part # from Hyundai and ordering the gasket to match. I dont see why this would cause a problem but I guess I'll mention it.

Also my question wasnt answered---------->

I know this is a stupid question... but. On the turbo itself, the top and bottom lines are the oil feed (top) and return (bottom). And the banjo bolt is the water feed (radiator side) and the return is on the engine side? right?

And------------>

I'm just ready to drive my car again... :'( And I have so many other parts layin around the house... just beggin to be installed. I hear them cry in the night... "install me!"

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
hey klouuud, you are right about the oil and coolant sides on turbo (although afaik there is no difference in feed and return of the coolant, no difference.
pistons burn fuel, oil and some of the crap they both contatin. you shouldn't really await for the polished shining pistons in a week after you buy a car... why should you want to clean them?

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
klouud said:
YOU ARE RIGHT! ;) Turbo Install Pic

And------------>

klouud said:
THERE IS! I know that GM has piston/ring cleaner solution that you pour into the spark plug holes in the head, let it soak in there for a few hours, then you turn the engine over with the holes still open, (rags over them), and this will expell any extra cleaner. Install plugs, start it up, let it warm up and change the oil. Pretty easy, but I have never seen a 'before & after' with this.
I mechanically removed the piston face gunk from mine when I installed my headspacer years ago. I used a nylon bristled disc (yellow)on a die grinder. I VERY GENTLY cleaned the piston tops and block/head mating surfaces. I found a pic for ya too.

-BRR

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
no guys the head isnt warped. I had the machine shop check that when i took it in. I just sent dave some pix of what "I" think is the matter... he has some solutions and I think that we will be able to fix the problem. Prolly have my car up and running in a week. Maybe less.

One of the solutions is kinda cool...

tim

1 - 15 of 15 Posts