Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, i dont race my car very often, im more into jus working on it now but lately im trying to find a good launch. Nothing but a cold air intake, and i cant find to find that sweet spot. Every time its either spinnin the wheels like crazy or i dump the clutch and watch the rpm's drop and my car kind of bog down before gettin on the horse n' takin off. Just askin for some input from drivers that are no doubt more experienced at this stuff than myself...
Drew Knight

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
i found about 2600 -2700 rpms with a drop and gas gets it going without much spin but u got to get it just right

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
^^^^agree with 05Tib... can't rev it too much, kind of a tricky launch with the tib ... find an empty straight away and practice a bit... and if you have the money, stickier tires will make a world of diff

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
If you're having problems with lighting up the tires, try gradually applying throttle. For example, my old GTP put about 320lb-ft of torque to the front wheels. I launched at about 2300rpms, and gradually applied throttle. By about 30mph, I was at WOT. Worked for me pretty well, as I was able to take a lot of RWD cars outta the hole by this method. I apply the same concept to my tib, and it nets me w/similar results.

·
Registered
5,667 Posts
The best time that i ran at the track was when i set the RPMs at 4k and as soon as that light droped i eased out the clutch. I know that it is bad for it but it took a half a second off my 60ft time.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well generally i do the same thing, easing on to the throttle. Hell if i punched it right off the bat i might spin all the way through 1st. Never done it so i dont know, but generally i either spin em like crazy, or i watch my rpm's drop before i pick up some good power. Its been rainin non-stop though so i havent had a chance to go out and try it. Think ill go out and do that reverse wiring thing on my sub now instead and see if it works.

·
Registered
255 Posts
How bad is it to launch the auto while holding the brake and revving? Doesnt it put a lot of stress on the trans?

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
hard launches puts stress on it too. you will be fine aslong as ur not running high boost with an auto and power brakeing.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Would also like to know.
Other auto owners told me this is what I should do (not anybody with a tib or from here)
Think they called it power breaking or something like that. :3_confuse
With an auto tranny, I've heard it called brake torque, or torque braking.

When I went to the 1/4 mile track I did it like this- I had my right foot on the gas and my left foot on the brake. Took the RPMs to around 2k or so, certainly not higher. When the second to the last light came on, off goes the brake and get on the gas. Now whether you floor it at that point, or go a little easy is going to depend on your level of mods, but anyway...

As I understand it, the brake torque technique "pre-loads" your suspension: it pre- shifts the car's weight so you don't have to wait for that to occur when it's time to take off.

I did one launch normally and three taking the RPMs up, and all three of those times were faster than the normal launch. Not by much, but it all helps.

Is it a little rough on the car? Probably, but so is track time. For me it's something I do twice a year, so why sweat it? Just don't take off from every red light like that.

~ We now return to your regularly scheduled "launching with a stick" thread ~

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Is that a generalization about NT.com members or are you claiming I have made exaggerations?

I was just correcting an error with a source to back-up my claim.
Not you. I was commenting on those relatively few, but highly imaginative members that always seem to pop in exaggerated claims regarding things like top speed, 1/4 mile, racing, etc. etc.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.