Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see that FlyRyde is selling some of these at a nice price. I know the install involves welding. Other than that, I know zip about traction bars.

Tried a search but I mostly found stuff on RWD V8 cars.

What's the theory behind these? How do they work on a FWD car? Any point using them on a NA Tib?

Thanks.

·
Banned
1,542 Posts
I'm in the same boat. RWD traction bars I understand. FWD, I don't.

TIA

·
Registered
914 Posts
never heard of it. but located this..
they are not talking of a Tib but it is FWD...
hope it helps..

A traction bar is not the same as a lower tie. What a traction bar looks like is an A frame type design. They will mount a solid bar to the frame in the front of the car (in front of the wheels). Two rigid bars will come off the ends and tie into the lower control arm. The purpose of these arms is to stop the wheels from trying to toe in under extreme transfers (like launching). Lower ties only connect the bottoms of the towers. This is decent for handling, but does nothing for wheel hop and rigidity during a launch. Traction bars have the same benefits as a lower tie, but with the added reward of eliminating wheel hop

·
Read Only
0 Posts
I think the flyryde/APE units are a bit overpriced. They used to be $140, but they have raised the price at least $20 recently. And from the design of them, the end links aren't the greatest design IMO.

I am looking into an alternative unit that are a better solution in my opinion. The bars themselves look to be a little smaller, but the end links look much stronger, and will allow adjustability without removing the bar from the car. This is very beneficial for making quick adjustments at the track. Here's a quick teaser pic:

FYI, I only paid $90 shipped for the bars, and am probably looking at under $30-40 for the mounts. So you are talking $130-140 vs. $159 + shipping.

·
Former Staff
3,336 Posts
mdoggytib said:
never heard of it. but located this..
they are not talking of a Tib but it is FWD...
hope it helps..

A traction bar is not the same as a lower tie. What a traction bar looks like is an A frame type design. They will mount a solid bar to the frame in the front of the car (in front of the wheels). Two rigid bars will come off the ends and tie into the lower control arm. The purpose of these arms is to stop the wheels from trying to toe in under extreme transfers (like launching). Lower ties only connect the bottoms of the towers. This is decent for handling, but does nothing for wheel hop and rigidity during a launch. Traction bars have the same benefits as a lower tie, but with the added reward of eliminating wheel hop
I'm not understanding how these are connected. Is there a picture showing the installation?

·
Registered
718 Posts
badass explanation and pics to boot, thanks mang!

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
In those 2 pics, where is the solid bar mentioned here:

"They will mount a solid bar to the frame in the front of the car (in front of the wheels). Two rigid bars will come off the ends and tie into the lower control arm."

The two rigid bars are the traction bars, right?

So where do you get the solid bar that mounts to the frame? Is it provided by the shop doing the install, and then welded to the frame?

*still confused*

·
Read Only
0 Posts
In those 2 pics, where is the solid bar mentioned here:

"They will mount a solid bar to the frame in the front of the car (in front of the wheels). Two rigid bars will come off the ends and tie into the lower control arm."

The two rigid bars are the traction bars, right?

So where do you get the solid bar that mounts to the frame? Is it provided by the shop doing the install, and then welded to the frame?

*still confused*
Thats not the tib design, just something he found. The tib uses one bar on each lower control arm that is tied to the subframe or chassis. In the pictures it's the silver bar with links on the end.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts