1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Administrator
8,782 Posts
Does not sound like lifters, sounds more like bearings.

What do you mean by, "I've got 2 valves down, and 6 up"?:surprise:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does not sound like lifters, sounds more like bearings.

What do you mean by, "I've got 2 valves down, and 6 up"?:surprise:
me and a friend opened up engine, just the top to expose cams and valves he said 2 valves were down and 6 were up, and on a dohc 16v, 4 should be up 4 should be down at any given time.. idk, also the beginning was me showing I found a bit of oil on the bottoms of my plugs, I changed them yesterday

·
Administrator
8,782 Posts
You could remove the coil feed, leave the valve cover off & crank it over. Check to see if the valves look like they're following the cam or not.

If you had a valve sticking or a collapsed tappet, it could make a racket when running.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You could remove the coil feed, leave the valve cover off & crank it over. Check to see if the valves look like they're following the cam or not.

If you had a valve sticking or a collapsed tappet, it could make a racket when running.
you mean take the cover off, put plugs back in, and start it and see how it looks? I thought about doing that, but figured id have a lot of oil splash

·
Administrator
8,782 Posts
No, just crank it to see if the valves are moving up & down or are they stuck.
You may also be able to isolate the sound to one or more valves/tappets.

·
Registered
89 Posts
well......I put the higher octane gas in mine for the first time since I got the car (like 93 octane...or 96 idk) and it made the noise go away and then it would come back and go away, I think I just need to add a fuel additive to mine and clean the system a few times to remove all the grime and crud.
it took a few miles to start penetrating.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
tried highest octane gas, did fresh oil change plus filter, full synthetic valvoline 10w-30, used rislone engine treatment , but nothing so far, id like to change lifters myself if its the problem, but im not very mechanically inclined yet, and winters coming anyday, i don't have a heated garage or any garage for that matter, and the lifters need to be ordered and could take a bit... is there a DIY on an RD for this? kinda discouraged to mess with my cams without a step by step..

·
Registered
3 Posts
the rds are easy to work on, look for the chilton book, the elantra has the same motor if you cant find the tiburon book, this book will give you step by step instructions to reapir your vehical

·
Registered
499 Posts
I heard I might have this problem too on my XD elantra im a try putting in seafoam through the oil cap to see if it helps quieting lifters down

1 - 10 of 10 Posts