Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know the Hyundai part number for the little light bulbs they use in the HVAC and shifter assembly? The parts breakdowns I found on-line don't go to that level of detail.

And/Or anyone have a good lead on another Hyundai/Kia that uses the same bulbs?

These are the bulbs I'm talking about:
Handwriting Font Material property Wood Writing

Searching here on the forum leads me to believe that the bulb on the left for the gear shift position (P-R-N-D) is a #74 bulb, but the other ones with the integral base on the right don't have a generic replacement number?

· Registered
879 Posts
I used bulbtown for bulbs in my Subaru, for the Tiburon I've opted to use orange LED strips that I glued to the PCB instead. it's a bit of a PITA but it hasn't failed me yet & looks good enough. The part number for the OEM bulbs is "97272-2C000" & can be found here, at least for the manual climate controls.

Edit: I think the bulb in the shifter assembly is a standard push-in style bulb, you should be able to eye up a close enough bulb at the parts store if the part number is too faded to read off the glass.

· Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The part number for the OEM bulbs is "97272-2C000" & can be found here, at least for the manual climate controls.
Well that's not good news. Those OEM HVAC bulbs were not used in any other model! Used in the Tib only, and are now $33 each from the dealers? Wow. That's not gonna happen. I was hoping there were commonly used in a bunch of other Hyundai and Kia models that were easier to find than Tibs. Guess I'm gonna have to figure something else out.

I just replaced a couple burned out bulbs with used parts I harvested from a Tib in a local yard near me. But based on the failure rate and the age of the replacements, I don't think the're gonna last. And it sounds like going OEM isn't the way to go. Bummer.... I was hoping this was totally simple.

Thanks for the help.

So I didn't look real close when I had it apart, but I'm assuming the auto-shifter (+) and (-) bulbs (on the right in this pic) are the same ones they used in the HVAC controls?
Motor vehicle Automotive design Hood Automotive exterior Automotive tire

· Registered
879 Posts
For the climate controls, I would recommend using LED strips to to light up the dial back light & used LEDs to light up the 3 buttons.

It looks OEM with orange LED strips and orange LEDs for the buttons, you'll just need a white LED for the blue section of the temp knob.

I believe you can buy the FL/2 plate for the auto shifter, which uses LEDs instead of bulbs, only downside is it's blue instead of orange. you'd be better off putting LED bulbs into your existing housing or finding an equivalent replacement bulb.

You can replace just the bulb (not the whole pedestal they're on) if you find the right size on a website that sells them for literal cents per bulb. it just takes more doing to remove the OEM bulb and replace it with the new one. Bulbtown is a site I've used for that in the past.

· Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks again.

I'm leery about using LED's because I don't want them a whole lot brighter than the original stock stuff. I know the brightness control is PWM so they LED's should dim, but in my experience the LED's are so efficient that even at a low pulse width, they are still too bright. Anyway, I know I've got that as a backup plan if I can't find other options.

And I've bought from Bulbtown too. I really like their explanation videos. Well done and very educational.

I'll post up what I figure out.

· Administrator
9,550 Posts
Way back when (8 years ago?) I replaced bulbs in a 2004 Tib manual AC control using "grain of wheat" bulbs. I had to disassemble the bulb from the socket and install the new bulbs. Sorta a PITA to do. Wish I had gone up one wattage, but dim was better than dark.
I posted info in a HVAC thread a long time ago, maybe some help for you.

· Registered
879 Posts
Thanks again.

I'm leery about using LED's because I don't want them a whole lot brighter than the original stock stuff. I know the brightness control is PWM so they LED's should dim, but in my experience the LED's are so efficient that even at a low pulse width, they are still too bright. Anyway, I know I've got that as a backup plan if I can't find other options.

And I've bought from Bulbtown too. I really like their explanation videos. Well done and very educational.

I'll post up what I figure out.
My first revision was definitely too bright, I basically had individual LEDs for each element on the knobs. as you can imagine, it ended up looking like the sun. My second attempt with the LED strips was surprisingly good, I would say it's equivalent to the OE lights. here's a picture of what it looks like in the night:

You can see it's a little spotty when it comes to brightness, but that's actually only visible in the pictures, it's not noticeable in person. I still say go with OE style bulbs if you can as it's WAY easier to do, but this is an ok option. & the good news is I did this years ago & had absolutely no issues with it, so take that as you will.

· Administrator
9,550 Posts
My first revision was definitely too bright, I basically had individual LEDs for each element on the knobs. as you can imagine, it ended up looking like the sun. My second attempt with the LED strips was surprisingly good, I would say it's equivalent to the OE lights. here's a picture of what it looks like in the night:

You can see it's a little spotty when it comes to brightness, but that's actually only visible in the pictures, it's not noticeable in person. I still say go with OE style bulbs if you can as it's WAY easier to do, but this is an ok option. & the good news is I did this years ago & had absolutely no issues with it, so take that as you will.
I like it, looks decent for a more than decade old vehicle. Easier than removing bulbs and installing new bulbs to old base like I did.....sigh.....

· Registered
879 Posts
I like it, looks decent for a more than decade old vehicle. Easier than removing bulbs and installing new bulbs to old base like I did.....sigh.....
I dug up my original photo from my phone, the one I posted earlier was already on imgur but this one was buried in my photos album. apparently I did this in 2017... looks like crap but it's still working, lol.

Thanks, I did replace the pedestal LEDs with some internal resistor ones, you can actually find 12V LEDs on amazon now that don't require a resistor, nice.
Anyway, you can solder onto the illumination pins for light power & jump that from strip to strip. then, leaving the glass behind the knobs helps distribute the light more evenly. I don't have any good pictures, so unfortunately my source is: trust me dude, but it really does look OEM with the right LEDs. You really wouldn't be able to tell this was illuminating the climate controls if I didn't tell you. They're no brighter than the OEM bulbs, have good light distribution if you spend the time to tune it & put the LEDs on the pedestals (for button illumination), and is fully reversible (i.e. you can put bulbs back in later if you want).

It is a lot of trouble though, and requires you to know at least a little about how to solder. but: this is a decent option for anyone who is looking for a lower cost, longer lasting solution.

· Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah those LED's look good and I'm an electronics guy so I've got the skills to convert over. I'm just hoping to get out of this with the least amount of hassle. Frankly the idea of putting in some new grain of wheat bulbs into the original housings would be more palatable to me.

I haven't taken any measurements, but here's one offering from Bulbtown:

Way back when (8 years ago?) I replaced bulbs in a 2004 Tib manual AC control using "grain of wheat" bulbs. I had to disassemble the bulb from the socket and install the new bulbs.
Charlie, I searched around a bit on the site before starting a new thread and didn't come up with good options. Do you have a link to your thread where you did this?

And all that said... My first idea would be to see if I can get a NEO base bulb from another car to work. I don't know if the lock tabs or electrical contacts will line up, but it's worth a try. I think my Civic uses these in the climate control, so I might even have some in a box somewhere. Something like this:

· Administrator
9,550 Posts
I did an advanced search for "bulb" and my user name.
Try this link first.
There is another link I did within it that has more info.

· Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sorry for the delay, but here are some options.

First off, here are some HVAC bulbs from other Hyundai models. Namely 2001 Elantra and 2005 Santa Fe. The HVAC bulbs in these other models are the same as the TIB with the exception of the silicone bulb cover. So maybe that's why the Tib bulbs are used only in the Tib (and are so expensive)? It might simply be the bulb color? Bottom line is you can grab the bulbs from these models and swap the orange filter over.

Here's the HVAC from a 2001 Elantra
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Font Audio equipment

Guitar accessory Font Musical instrument accessory Material property Electronic instrument

Here are the bulbs from that assembly. Note that two of them are the same as the Tib except they have no colored filter, and the third is a different.
Product Azure Textile Sleeve Purple

And here's the 2005 Santa Fe:
Gadget Automotive design Audio equipment Plant Electric blue

Blue bulb filters (and a little crispy):
Azure Textile Sleeve Collar Aqua

So that should provide some options for the HVAC knob bulbs.

· Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I tried to find the part number for the Elantra HVAC bulb but ran into the same problem as I did for the Tib bulbs. I could find other parts in the assy, but the bulbs part number was not called out. So....

Anyone with better google-fu find the part number for the 2001 Elantra HVAC bulbs? I've got working used bulbs in my TIB now, but I have no idea how long they're gonna last.

Since they made so many more of them, I assume the Elantra bulbs are cheaper than the Tib variety. Hopefuly?

· Premium Member
2006 Hyundai Tiburon SE
1,374 Posts
Looks similar in size to the bulbs I replaced in my 1993 Corolla in the shifter and HVAC controls. Remove the bulbs from their little housings and take them to your local parts store. They will be able to match them from stock they typically keep in the back. The color sleeves need to be reused because they only come in the clear bulb color.

· Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
And here's what I did for the shifter (+) (-) bulbs... I modified a Honda Civic switch illumination bulb to fit the Tib.

1996-2000 Civic switch bulb on left. Tib (+) (-) on right:
Toy Finger Wood Thumb Service

Despite the fact that the Civic switch bulb (globe) is smaller than the Tib, the mounting tabs on the base are actually a little larger. So I used a small file to remove a little bit of the plastic on the Civic bulb:
Wood Beige Tool Metal Jewellery

You only have to remove about thirty thousandths off the tabs to get it to fit:
Finger Thumb Auto part Nail Terrestrial plant

Hand Trigger Air gun Finger Gun barrel

The size is very different, but, it looks pretty much identical to the original when lit. So until it burns out, I'm good! :)

· Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
FYI I believe the part number for the 05 Sante Fe bulb is "97268-26500", the 01 elantra bulb is discontinued. The sante fe bulb is about $15 from jimellishyundaiparts.
Well neither of those options are the fifty-cent option I was looking for, so I guess I haven't found the silver bullet. In any event, I'm good until something burns out.

One other thought about the situation... Those little neo-base bulbs come in two contact varieties... First option (the most common option) is where the electrical connection is made to the bulb on the back side (and only the back side) of the PCB. In other words, the bulb sticks through a hole in the board with a little twist to hold into place. The electrical connections are visible on the back side of the PCB that you stick the bulb through.

Second option is the base is more complicated and actually makes electrical connection to BOTH sides of the PCB. Meaning the designer of the board doesn't care which side of the board the copper is on. They can use either side.

This second (more complicated,less common, and more expensive) option is what Hyundai used for the HVAC bulbs. I haven't looked closely at the board to see if they actually NEEDED to use that less common option, but it's something to watch out for.

Point is... You might find other bulbs that will physically fit into the Tib HVAC holes, but they might not work if the Tib didn't put copper connections on the proper side of the board. I haven't looked and I'm not going to pull it back out again just to check. I'll look next time I have to go in for a bulb replacement.

· Registered
879 Posts
I haven't had any luck with any neo bulbs as I've always found the PCB to be too thick for them.

What I've done when I don't do LED conversions is buy bulbs from bulbtown, or appropriate sized neo bulbs since bulbtown has been down lately, and install those into the factory sockets.

The factory sockets crimp the bulb wires in, which makes them a PITA to remove. the easiest way I've found to remove them is to twist the bulb until it breaks out of the socket, then user a utility knife to get under the wire on the back side & pry it out of the holes / crimps. Then I just install a new bulb into the socket, run it through the hole in the base, stuff the wire under the PCB pinch point & cut the excess wire off.

It's a bit of a pain, but it's what I've been doing to get around the dealer priced bulbs.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts