Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car needs a clutch soon and was wondering if I should bite the bullet and get a lighter flywheel too but considering the price it doesn't seem likely.
I saw the F1 kit on Tuscani Customs which is a good price for a clutch kit and lighweight flywheel. The next one up is too costly.

I've read here and there that F1 are crap but I've also read they are fine. Should I bother getting that kit or just get a normal oem valeo kit for half the price and be done with it?
Does a lighter flywheel make that much of a difference? I've heard it makes driving in traffic a pig and such.

·
Registered
77 Posts
For the 2.0 a lightweight might be hard to drive with it not sure though, I wouldn’t get a stock clutch apparently they are compleat ****, eBay ones are a little better I heard but ive never heard of a good brand unless you plan on spending 1000$.. I just bought a clutch, it’s a stage 2 carbon Kevlar with lightweight flywheel seemed to be the best choice came out to around 500$ also if you get a eBay one go to a dealer and buy a new oem release bearing or you’ll have to change it in 10,000km (I’ve done a lot of reaseach this is not experience) I’m going to be putting in the clutch this weekend I can let you know how it is but won’t be able to tell you how long it will last... all I know is do not buy oem and I’d stay away from super cheep eBay ones... also do the slave mod it will save your clutch if you haven’t done it

·
Registered
77 Posts
Also lightweight is gunna make your car quite a bit faster so if you plan on modding do it, I am don’t know how it will be but we’ll see... don’t get a paper thin one go for the chromolly ones if they have them for the i4

·
Registered
215 Posts
It depends on your driving style imo if a lightweight flywheel is good or not.

If you like doing stoplight digs from 0-60 all the time a lightweight flywheel would improve acceleration a little, but the abuse might would wear it out faster.
If you're more into canyon carving then yeah lightweight flywheel definitely.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers for the info. Not sure yet about the flywheel due to the conflicting info but also due to the price. Thanks for letting me know about the bearing though.

·
Registered
77 Posts
So I got it in cars running a but rough at low rpm either the coils or battery connector always has but I can say it makes a difference, it’s like driving a 4 cyl with a stage two in it lol it’s not great for taking off but I’ll get used to it... I can say it launches nicely once you find that right rpm so it’s not too bad, grabs good and there is no “gear chatter” like a lot of people say... you just have to get a sprung clutch disk if you have a solid flywheel

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the update. Think you could get a video with some acceleration and general driving? How much faster would you say it is?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Ya I’ll have to figure out how to post but I’ll try tomorrow... took it for a tour today gotta say the more you get used to it the better it gets its awesome for shifting and makes for really nice down gearing if your a bit off in rpm it rev matches quick and doesn’t jerk at all, and for take off unless your riding the clutch a bit you really gotta give her some gas.... for drag racing would be a bit of a ***** to get a good launch but goes pretty good through the gears... as for a difference sadly I’ve never driven a stock tiburon😢 but clutch wise it definitely is worth the price works good don’t have any problems yet (knock on wood) and grabs really good... I’ll get a video tomorrow for you

·
Administrator
8,901 Posts
My car needs a clutch soon and was wondering if I should bite the bullet and get a lighter flywheel too but considering the price it doesn't seem likely.
I saw the F1 kit on Tuscani Customs which is a good price for a clutch kit and lighweight flywheel. The next one up is too costly.

I've read here and there that F1 are crap but I've also read they are fine. Should I bother getting that kit or just get a normal oem valeo kit for half the price and be done with it?
Does a lighter flywheel make that much of a difference? I've heard it makes driving in traffic a pig and such.
OK.....not a Tib, but light flywheel.
A 1998 Subaru 2.5L GT...went from about a 25lb flywheel to a 13lb flywheel and stronger pressure plate.
Yes, stalled a couple times early on, but soon dealt with it....
Love the faster revs, better for rev matching if you can deal with it....yes, can suck for someone that is new to a MT or lots of "stop & go" driving (although I drive a lot in metro areas....like NY, Boston, DC)....I get along fine now after almost 100K miles....

My thoughts, your choice.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I don’t know how to post but I can’t agree the revs are super fast going up a bit slow coming down but that’s because of the idle air control valve gotta mod it... I also have a v6 not a 4cyl so taking off isn’t that bad with the light weight not sure how it would be for the 4 cyl... it does feel pretty good though car seems to like it

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You would probably have to upload the video to YouTube or somewhere then share the link. On the V6 you would feel a huge difference since the oem is a dualmass flywheel. 4cyl were just a normal flywheel so a lightweight one isn't much lighter.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Ya both of my cars I think were converted to the oem single mass that was a big thing back in the day because the duel mass was junk... when I changed mine it was a oem single mass and oem clutch kit and I know the stage 2 with lightweight feels way different then a stock clutch and flywheel... if your slowing down going about 30-40 and drop to 2nd without rev matching the stock set up jerks you pretty hard with the lightweight there is almost no jerk as long as you don’t pop the clutch super fast... I’ll try later I’m make a account and get a good video going I’ll fire up my other car and give it a few revs for the video so you can compare... I know stock flywheel with the v6 to take off you just tap the gas once and let out the clutch and it’s a perfect take off, with the lightweight you gotta rev it a bit and ride the clutch a bit,, that’s why I got the carbon Kevlar disk they are supposed to last quite a bit longer

1 - 12 of 12 Posts