Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this has been talked about quite a bit and it's rather easy to do but I'd figure I'd post my story with my problem so hopefully this will help someone out in the future and make it easier for someone else to solve their problem.
(If someone has already done this feel free to delete this thread)

With LED "bulbs" on our cars it's sometimes hit or miss on who has problems and who doesn't. I personally installed the dual changing amber/white turn signal LEDs and had the problem of rapid blinking when the turn signal was activated. I know someone else who has an 05 installed his with no problems same with a 07.

Why this is a problem: Most states have laws governing how fast turn signals can blink. It is possible that you could get a ticket even if you personally don't care. (This is what I've been told so don't quote me, anyone knows anything different please feel free to comment.)

So the solution is to use a load resistor to simulate the approximate load that a regular incandescent bulb would put on the car.

What you need:
Soldering gun/pencil
Solder/electrical tape
Wire strippers
Knife or something to pull back the insulation on the wire
1 pair of load resistors
(I personally got mine at radioshack 10 ohm wirewound resistors - 10 watt - about $2)

10 mm wrench (if you feel like taking the headlight out like I did)

So this is pretty straight forward, find the easiest way to access the wires for the turn signal bulb on your car.
On the drivers side the 2 wires we need to worry about are white and black.
Cut back the insulation on both and wire one side of the resistor to one wire then the other side to the other wire like so:

On the passenger side we need to worry about the blue and black wire, do the same thing that you did for the drivers side:

Now solder your connections and wrap them with electrical tape to make everything sealed and water tight as possible.

So if everything was done correctly this should solve your problem of the quick blinking. Now my turn signal blink at normal pace.

And anyone wondering what these look like with 6k lows and 6k fogs:

·
Registered
396 Posts
Re: DIY: Load Resistors for LED Turn Signals

Very good DIY, my only concern is about your 10ohm resistors. The site which I purchased my load resistors from and my dual changing LEDs said if you only have the front turn signals with LEDs, then you need two 6ohm resistors. If you have LEDs in the front and rear blinkers, installed two 3 ohm resistors. Weird

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Thank you. I thought about that too, but 10 ohm vs 6 ohm isn't a big difference to really matter. If it was anything bigger than 10 ohms I would not have done it but it was close enough. The most important thing is that the vehicle see some type of load on that circuit so it doesn't think the bulb is burned out. And since the load resistor is in parallel with the circuit, it doesn't affect your LED bulbs, just what the vehicle "sees" load wise.

·
Registered
5,784 Posts

Very nice DIY. Mind if I use this DIY on my other forums that I sponsor and as well on my own forum?

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Sure, as long as I get credit I have no problem. :3_shiny:

·
Registered
1,837 Posts

Good job, I hooked mine up the day I got them and love not blinking like an epileptic seizure! :3_winkthu

I wonder why this wouldn't work on the Cruise Control/LED brake light problem! I have been waiting to try it, but currently don't have CC hooked up do to another issue I have yet to solve!

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

It probably should work, you might have to wire one for each brake light wire so you might need two for each LED bulb instead of one.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)

I think the reason the cruise control doesn't work with led tail lights cause the vehicle doesn't see enough of a load on the circuit to keep the cruise control working.

This is my theory on how to fix it: There should be three wires for the tail like bulb much like there are three wires for our turn signals. With the turn signals you only need to put in one load resistor per side, with the tail lights you probably have to put on on each wire.

So I don't know the wire colors but lets says you have three wires: black (ground), white and blue, you would need to put one side of both resistors on the black ground, then one goes to white and the other goes to blue. That way the vehicle sees a load on the circuit weither the tail lights are on low or high power (i.e. pressing the break pedal or not).

Again this is my theory but it would good for someone to try it out to correct the cruise control problem.

I can create a diagram once I get home, I'm at work now so thats a no go but I think it will be easier to see it visually. And If anyone knows the wire colors for the break lights that would help.

·
Registered
845 Posts

can anyone confirm that these are the right wires for an 07 GS... cause i started to look at this and i dont have a blue wire on the passenger side in the rear by the tail lights... so im not sure where to go from here

·
Registered
1,479 Posts

what wires do u have? should be one wire that is the same color on both side, and then two other wires that are different on each side.

so is there one wire that is the same color on both sides?

and since the one of those wires powers the "white" running lights, wouldnt the load resistor only need to be on one of those wires? the wire for the turn signal itself? cuz the other wire has no power to it when the turn signals are blinking...

·
Registered
845 Posts

nvm decided to use the wires up front and found the right ones... PITA but it works well so all done

·
Registered
1,479 Posts

so i just watched your video, and it doesnt looked like this fixed anything...

the video started with the signals blinking normally but sped up at the end, that is what mine do right now.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

I dunno what your talking about, maybe something with your comp cause I watched it again and its a consistently blinking at the same speed. Possibly a problem with photobucket?

Regardless of the video problem (wherever it lies) , this solved my problem with the rapid blinking

·
Lighting and Accessories
10,460 Posts

Just a heads-up, I will have these available on my site by the end of next week, $14.99 includes everything you need with instructions, no soldering required...

Thanks!
Paul

·
Registered
34 Posts

Got a question along these lines aw well. If I was wiring some custom gill lights into my turn signals, what kind of resistors will I need. I bought the 510 ohm resistors, but is that going to be enough? Otherwise it looks like I'll be making a trip down to my not so friendly radioshack this weekend (they seem to know nothing about resistors or electrical components).

·
Administrator
5,302 Posts

Excellent DIY, Insanephreak!!

I installed my V-LED dual color-changing turn-signal LED bulbs today along with the load resistors and it works beautifully--no hyper flash FTW!!!

Now my entire front-end lighting is white!! (except for high-beams, when activated)

When I installed my load resistors, however, I didn't wrap them to the power wires though. I noticed that the load resistors can get warm. So instead, I used some cable ties to suspend the load resistors in the air so they're properly cooled and can't melt anything.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts