Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hi all,

my tibby 2005 2.0 acts up again. this time, it seems to be a fuel problem: when my car is standing over night, it starts for a second and then shuts down. afterwards, i have to crank a long time (multiple long times) until it starts. when it runs, it runs just fine.

so, i'm guessing, the fuel doesn't sit in the hose anymore after a day.

i sometimes read "fuel pressure regulator" but that thing sits IN the tank for the V4, not at the engine like with the V6. besides that, it seems to be difficult to get it here in germany, not even at the dealership.

i could change the fuel filter (and i probably will when i open up the fuel pump assembly) but i'm probably looking for some leak anywhere. so what components should i check / change? - i don't wanna buy the whole assembly from the dealership for a few hundred bucks.

thanks and cheers
narf

·
Registered
33 Posts
I don't think it's a fuel problem, because even if it is the case that the lines are discharged, once it starts they are already under pressure again and it shouldn't turn off again, do you have any CEL?

The fuel regulator can fail but the possibility is low they usually last a long time, I would doubt more than a problem with the fuel pump

If you don't have CEL (ruling out a sensor problem) I recommend that you do a fuel pressure test because if it were the regulator the pressure would be outside the normal range (350 kpa)

·
Registered
103 Posts
Not sure if you’re still around but u can prime the fuel pump about 3 times and see if it starts better after that. If it does u know it’s most likely a fuel pressure issue. I believe the pump and fuel reg are in the assembly in the tank. Could be a weak pump or faulty reg.

A quick fix could be putting a one way valve in the the fuel line to hold the pressure in the rail but this will involve cutting ur main fuel line.

If priming the pump doesn’t help, u could run some total fuel system cleaner additive in the fuel tank next time u fill up. This could help clean dirty injectors etc.
My brother did this in one of his cars years ago, it was slow to start, after using a cleaner it fired straight up.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts