Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So a few weeks ago, my car started having some trouble running. Smell of gas at a stoplight, less power, etc. Just over 155k km, I've only put 20k on it, so maybe time for new plugs. Didn't help, but the old ones definitely needed to go.
Fine. Got new spark plug wires, and it seemed to help a bit, but it was still having trouble sometimes. Not always. The absolute worst kind of problem.
So I took it to a local part shop and borrowed a code reader. Throwing p0303 and p0267. That lead me to an old thread here where folks suggested swapping the fuel injectors in a v6 around. I figured I'd give it a shot, so I swapped injector for number 3 (according to the old wires) with number 1. And I put some injector cleaner in the gas tank for good measure. And after a day or two where it ran a little rough but didn't flash the engine light, it settled down and seemed to run fine.

That was about a week ago. This morning, car struggled to start, seemed to have the same issue. Burned almost a quarter tank just to get to and from work about half an hour away. So I picked up a cheap code reader of my own. Six codes came up:
P0303
P0267
P0304
P0300
P0267 again
P0303 again

Now I'm confused. Clearly something is wrong with the wiring for cylinder 3, that makes sense. But why cylinder 4?
For clarification, the ignition coils are on the left side of the engine (right side if you're looking under the hood) with cylinder 4 closest and cylinder 1 furthest. One coil is wired to cylinders 1 and 4, and the other is for cylinders 2 and 3. So wouldn't a bad coil misfire 2 and 3?

So I'll probably order new coils, that's all I can think of to solve the problem. I don't understand why it would run fine for a week, then fall apart again. It's a Canadian 05 with just over 160k. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2006 Hyundai Tiburon SE
622 Posts
The injector codes are probably a real problem. Try moving your failing injectors to another cylinder to test if the problem moves with the injectors. If the problem stays with injectors 3 and 4 then you know it's a wiring problem to those injectors rather than an injector problem.

If the coil was completely shot you would probably see misfires in pairs due to the wasted spark ignition system that we have. The pairs are 1/4, 2/5 and 3/6. If you think 2 and 3 should misfire together based on observation of your plug wire configuration... check your ignition wiring again. From front to back your plug order should be 1, 4, 2, 5, 3, 6. Pairs can be swapped so ordering them front to back like 4, 1, 5, 2, 6, 3 will still work due to the wasted spark ignition.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The injector codes are probably a real problem. Try moving your failing injectors to another cylinder to test if the problem moves with the injectors. If the problem stays with injectors 3 and 4 then you know it's a wiring problem to those injectors rather than an injector problem.

If the coil was completely shot you would probably see misfires in pairs due to the wasted spark ignition system that we have. The pairs are 1/4, 2/5 and 3/6. If you think 2 and 3 should misfire together based on observation of your plug wire configuration... check your ignition wiring again. From front to back your plug order should be 1, 4, 2, 5, 3, 6. Pairs can be swapped so ordering them front to back like 4, 1, 5, 2, 6, 3 will still work due to the wasted spark ignition.
My car's a 4 cylinder, so I don't think 2/5 or 3/6 will work right :p
I previously swapped the injector for 3 to 1, then it seemed to work. But now it's throwing a code for 3 again.

·
Registered
2006 Hyundai Tiburon SE
622 Posts
My apologies! I glazed over the fact that this was posted in the I4 forum!. Sorry that was not helpful at all.

If the injector CELs are persistent, try ordering some flow tested replacements.

The persistent misfire on #3 may be related to the coil and it's possible for only cylinder #3 to misfire while #2 is just fine. I experienced a similar problem with my V6 where a misfire on #6 was present but the paired cylinder #3 was not affected. It was due to the rubber grommet from the inside of my spark plug socket getting stuck on the spark plug and leaving a gap between the plug and plug wire. This caused an intermittent misfire and with enough time it ate through the plug wire in two places and eventually ate away the coil. Still only #6 was misfiring. Here's a picture of the fried coil output caused by my own incompetence.

If you have a digital multimeter there is a procedure for measuring the coils resistance (impedance actually) to determine if there is a problem with the primary or secondary coil. Try testing your coils to see if they're within the following tolerances.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My apologies! I glazed over the fact that this was posted in the I4 forum!. Sorry that was not helpful at all.

If the injector CELs are persistent, try ordering some flow tested replacements.

The persistent misfire on #3 may be related to the coil and it's possible for only cylinder #3 to misfire while #2 is just fine. I experienced a similar problem with my V6 where a misfire on #6 was present but the paired cylinder #3 was not affected. It was due to the rubber grommet from the inside of my spark plug socket getting stuck on the spark plug and leaving a gap between the plug and plug wire. This caused an intermittent misfire and with enough time it ate through the plug wire in two places and eventually ate away the coil. Still only #6 was misfiring. Here's a picture of the fried coil output caused by my own incompetence.

View attachment 137148

If you have a digital multimeter there is a procedure for measuring the coils resistance (impedance actually) to determine if there is a problem with the primary or secondary coil. Try testing your coils to see if they're within the following tolerances.

View attachment 137149
Thanks a bunch. I couldn't find my multimeter, but I changed the coils anyways (was only $100) and it's running better. No codes, no cough, no smell of gas. Hopefully it works for more than a couple weeks.
I'm still puzzled about why changing the injector helped for a week. But sometimes engines are weird.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts