Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ever since i installed my ssa catback, i feel like my car is slower now, when i had just cai and headers, i felt power, but now when i floor it, i dont feel that kick to where it jumps to a lot of power, i do notice the needle on the speedometer go up real fast now, but i dont think im going fast. Also i just installed my magnaflow high flow cat, before i had it on whenever i went 70mph, it was exactly at 3000 rpm, now that i installed the high flow cat, when im at 80mph, im at 3000 rpm, why is that

·
Registered
27 Posts
I kinda notcied the same thing and I am clueless aswell ne body got any clues? Im guseeing it has somthing to do with the back pressure some cars need it to run more efficently some cras dont ?

·
Registered
843 Posts
I have a SSA catback with a CAI but I do not have headers. I honestly dont know but from my knowledge when you have headers you have no go whatsoever at your low end, and you only feel it at your high end RPM. Mine goes when I floor it ( well not anymore because my clutch is going) but mods of this sort only give you more power, so it may just seem like its going slower.

·
NT's Medical Student
1,120 Posts
I dunno about the rpm part of your question because in theory should be the same, but the reason you don't feel the push in the pants is because you lost the backpressure that you had when you had your restictive exhaust on but you def gained more horsepower and your car is faster. Also check your ehaust for exhaust leaks because if you have one it will make you lose power.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
well opening the headers to aftermarket exhaust does loose some low and mid range torque but u gain up top power. a tune will help alot

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
you lost a little torque and gained a bunch of horsepower...

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
im telling u, i said it a lot of times before i put the high flow cat on , i always kept it below 3000rpm cus above that will be the ricey sound, and it would be at 70mph, now when im going 80mph, its only at 3000rpm

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
Tanelk said:
im telling u, i said it a lot of times before i put the high flow cat on , i always kept it below 3000rpm cus above that will be the ricey sound, and it would be at 70mph, now when im going 80mph, its only at 3000rpm
alright well someone correct me if im wrong but mods to your engine will raise the horsepower and torque but it will also raise your top speed. so going 80 and being at 3000 rpms says to me, well you are just more efficient now and have a higher top speed. right?

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
faus03 said:
alright well someone correct me if im wrong but mods to your engine will raise the horsepower and torque but it will also raise your top speed. so going 80 and being at 3000 rpms says to me, well you are just more efficient now and have a higher top speed. right?
u know i was thinking the same thing, that now i have more rpm to reach higher speeds

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
If the clutch is operating properly, there is no way that changing your exhaust can change speed vs rpm... Unless you are in a different gear or have changed your tire size... the engine turns a certain rpm and that number is multiplied by the final gear ratio and transfered to wheel rpm - there is no way adding an exhaust can change it... here are the things that can change wheel rpm

1) larger or smaller tires than stock
2) larger or smaller gears in the transmission
3) failing rpm signal
4) slipping clutch
5) hysteria based on projected thoughts of loss of power from adding an aftermarket exhaust

I am betting on the latter

·
Registered
292 Posts
Tanelk said:
even with a auto u have to change the clutch?
All this thread and now you saying that you are auto????????????
My is AUTO and on about 76mph im at 3000rpm.
A 10mph diference?? Do you change tires or wheels ricently?
NO!
Than even better, you get better gas milege :3_shiny:
Or :3_confuse

·
Registered
128 Posts
so u can increase all the low end torque by putting in a fuel tuner?
Is there any different way this can be achieved?
I have an Injen SRI and am planning to get a dual or single exhaust, so wont that increase low and high end power?

btw... i heard that dual exhausts are a waste of money, and is saying that the single exhaust increases more power and torque, is this true? and why?

Im such a newb.. :(

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
i dont think there is mch power diffrence between single and duals. our bumpers are cut for duals though.

Bascially when u strap on headers and exhaust u loose back pressure which does make u loose some low and mid range torque but u gain alot up top. The tuner helps gain back some of that power with adjusting ur a/f ratio

1 - 20 of 31 Posts