Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I was driving today and while I was sitting in a drive thru, I pushed my clutch in and from then on I can’t seem to get my clutch into any gears that involve pulling my shift knob towards me. (2nd,4th and reverse). My transmission doesn’t grind or anything it just won’t let me into any of those gears. 1st ,3rd and 5th run like a charm though. Any ideas? It also shifts a little hard too.

·
Registered
166 Posts
check your shifter cables, and bushings.
look at the transmission, under the air box, there are 2 cables, one responsible for up/down movement (1,3,5 to 2,4,R) and one for left/right movement (1,2 to 3,4 to 5,R)
probably the retaining ring has snapped and the cable is not aligned for the up/down movement, so your solution might be as easy as a $2 retainer from Hyundai dealership.
or the bushing has cracked in a way that is not giving enough force for lower gears.
Anyway, don't feel too bad, worst case scenario you will replace the entire pair of cables for ~$60 + elbow greece.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you for the tip. I just looked at those shifter cables and the smaller one has a very worn out bearing (close to the transmission side of cable) it is wearing out side to side but the back and forth play is okay.

·
Registered
166 Posts
bearing or bushing you mean?
try replacing that, and if you need to do any length adjustment, there is a screwed head on the shifter side (inside the car) that you can twist few times to lengthen or shorten the cable for adjustments.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Yea, worn parts and incorrect adjustment in shifter cable assembly. Be sure the linnkage is tight ti the transmission. Two 12mm eaded bolts hold down the shift linkage mounting plate at the trans. I shift aggressive and have ripped those bolts out. I replaced them with studs and nuts. I continue to repeat this practice with each new tiburon.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts