Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

Loud kocking/rattling sound on start-up that disappears

230K views 42 replies 21 participants last post by  marki800 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm not sure if it's anything to worry about or not, but here lately, I've had the Tib making some strange noise but only when you first start it up. It's like an extremely loud rattling/clanking noise. It doesn't do it when cranking, it's only when the car first starts up (more noticeable on cold start-up). It's also not every time you start it, only when it's been sitting awhile (such as over night). I'm not exactly sure what it is but it's pretty loud. After about 10-15 seconds or so, the sound settles and is no longer audible. I have no idea as to what it could be, At first, I thought it was the exhaust vibrating or rattling against something but I don't think that's the case. It sounds like it's coming from the lower portion of the engine/block. I don't think it's a rod knock since it only lasts for a few seconds. I was kinda thinking it might have something to do with the crank but I could be wrong.

I'll try to get it on film here soon. It's hard to do so since it only lasts for 15 secs if that and then stops. I don't feel any issues when driving nor do I feel a loss in power. It's really hard to describe. I also don't have any CELs either. The Tib seems to idle properly as well. I'm thinking I'll probably have to take it into the shop for diagnosis here soon to figure out what it is. Best way to describe it, is that it sounds like someone is knocking rapidly on a wooden block or table for a few seconds.

Oh and another thing I noticed, sometimes if u turn the wheel and hold on to it, the sound may stop. The moment u let go of the steering wheel, it comes back until it stops completely.

Any suggestions on what it could be? Does this sound like something I should be concerned about?

BTW, I've only used OEM Hyundai filters from the dealership and regular 10w-30 oil.

See less See more
#2 ·
Power steering pump maybe? Do you hear a "whining" when you turn the wheel at idle?

#3 ·
No, it runs real good and sounds "normal" i believe. This noise i'm talking about sounds like it's coming from inside the block. I don't really think it's the power steering pump. It's weird tho. I don't know why, it just seems like the crank or something. I'm not mechanically inclined which is why my car is basically stock. I just think it's really weird. I'm thinking it's a knocking noise it's making but only for a few seconds and quits.

I'll get a video up when i get the chance. it's really strange that it goes away so quick..... thats what has me stumped on what it could be.

#7 ·
This sounds like what it probably is. Like I said before, it happens usually once it's started for the first time after being left sit for an extended amount of time (such as overnight). It has about 50k and yes I keep up on the oil changes. I am still showing full since the last time i changed it which was about 800 miles ago. The oil is also real clean, no gunk or discoloration present.

I'll try to get a video tomorrow if i remember.

#8 ·
You may not be alone on this. I have just experienced this sound the first time ever today. Starting up my car which was not driven for 2 days. It was loud and sudden but no effect on performance or feel. My car probably has reached 3k since the last service and oil change, most of the driving based on the freeway. It only occurs on the first start too. The sound had me checking the engine in fear of something serious. Couldn't find anything and was late to work lol.

Keen to see your video.

#9 ·
BTW, what's the condition of your flex pipe? I at first thought the sound was coming from the flex pipe. Not sure if that is it or not. It's definitely louder under the car as well as in the engine bay. The flex pipe would be right under the block, which could make it hard to determine what the sound is actually coming from. . . . As for the the rods being loose, is this really dangerous? Is it something I should be concerned about and/or have repaired asap? If so, is the that sort of repair usually covered under an extended warranty? or is this typically an expensive repair?

I'll have to find my main cam. The cam i tried was a pos. the sound quality was horrible. It was just to loud.

#10 ·
Hmm I haven't checked my flex pipe. Not sure how to either. May need a friend to help check it out. Although our sound location is similar it appears mine is only for a split second after a cold start up in a period of a couple days. If it becomes more common or extends the time of noise I will be really concerned.

#11 ·
Yea same here. Mine doesn't do it all the time, only on cold start ups. Mine's usually for a second or 2. Depending on how cold it is or I guess long it's sitting, I've heard it do it for about 30 seconds and then stop. Sometimes turning the steering wheel will cause it to stop or quieten it up until it completely disappears. Once it disappears, u never hear it for the rest of the day.

As for the flex pipe, just look under the car at it. Mine has tears in the "flex" parts.

I'm just not sure if this is something to worry about or not.

#12 ·
I've heard that using a non-OEM filter can cause that, because it can cause the lubrication system to bleed down when the engine isn't run for awhile. I haven't experienced it myself. That sound would concern me if it were my car making it.
I would try a Hyundai OEM filter and synthetic 5w30 at your next service, and see what happens.

FWIW, I'm using Napa Gold (Wix premium) filters in my own car, and have been for many years.

#13 · (Edited)
Yea, i've read around about Tibs not liking aftermarket filters so I only use OEM. I tried getting a vid of it yesterday but it didn't make the sound. Strange . . . I wonder if it was because it was parked in my yard on a hill slightly angled. The driver side of the car would be a little lower than the passenger side due to the hill in the yard.

#14 ·
I am using an Injen SRI Intake with an oiled filter. Been doing so for months now. I am curious if a pod change could avoid it in the future.

#15 ·
I had a similar issue about 4 years ago , i switched to mobil 1 10w30 with oem filter and never had an issue again , my car engine currently have 80, 000 miles and runs great, it could be your oil is not lubing well the enginr internals, thats why in switched to synthetic , itnhas better cold performance.

#16 ·
^^^ I have the same set up, I think it's just the engines in these cars, seems to start happening to me on a cold start after about 2500 miles on my oil, it will make 3 knocks sometimes 2 then is gone when the firing catches

#17 ·
I'm not sure. It could be related as the symptoms would make sense. I'm just trying to determine whether or not I should be worried and take it in to be diagnosed. I really can't afford to take it in at the moment. It just has me a little worried.

#19 ·
Yes, I have an OEM Oil Filter, as well as 10w30 Oil from Hyundai. Last oil change was actually done at Hyundai instead of on my own due to time and scheduling issues. I didn't have the time to jack the car up and do it myself so I just stopped and had them do it. . .

I'm just worried that maybe it's something with the rods, such as a loose rod. I would think that is something to be concerned about. I just would hate to pay a $150 diagnostic fee or so just to find nothing was wrong with it. Had some things going on lately and really need to save as much money as possible. $150 may not seem like a lot, but for me at the moment, it would be really hard to spare (considering I don't even have it right now).

Today it only did it only did it slightly for about 3 seconds and wasn't as audible. . . . strange. I'm not that familiar with problems in regards to engine failure due to lack of experience/knowledge. I just know the sound seems like something that would usually cause concern.

#20 ·
This is somewhat normal for these cars and engines in general. Its from the oil not reaching the heads when started from a cold-start. My 2008 Accent had the same sound when it was purchased new with 20 miles on it. Mine makes the same sound as well. Let it sit for about 30 seconds or so and the sound disappears.

I wouldn't worry about it too much unless it becomes a consistant sound at all start ups or while its sitting idle during a daily drive. That's when you need to worry. Just stay current on your maintenence schedule and you shouldn't have any problems. And the OEM filter doesn't change anything. Always had an OEM filter on my Tib and the sound still occurs, same with my Accent.

Hope this helps

#21 ·
U know that u mention it, i sometimes hear it after the first start-up and when i first start driving. It's very faint but it can be heard. after about 30 seconds or so, it stops. What has me worried is that it hasn't always done this before. It has a newer engine which should be just at around 50k miles on it and it's making the noise. It honestly sounds more like a rattling noise or like a faint knocking. It's not ticking, but knocking. . . . usually that's something to be concerned about.

#22 ·
The same thing happened to me!!!! I never had any problems with my Tib but one morning I turned it on and had the same issue the car even vibrated when it happenes, then it went away and never happened again. I took it to the mechanic and left the car there a whole day and it never occurred again, its so mind f*cking...

#23 ·
The problem is that for it to be properly diagnosed, I'd have to leave it overnight at some shop and then they start it cold. I can't just drive somewhere and start the car and them hear it. It's strange. I tried getting a video of it and it never did it. It did it today though

#24 ·
I have the feeling its the motor's pythons...

#27 ·
It cant be because I just did my timing belt and they replaced the motor mounts, and I had the same issue..

#29 ·
My car doesn't shake at all. It's just a weird "controlled" rattling noise. It's pretty constant and doesn't sound "loose" I guess. Very strange way of describing it, but that's the best I can think of. The noise is repetitive, as in it sounds like something is hitting something in the same place repeatedly. Sometimes I can hear it after I start the car and turn the wheel a full revolution or so. Basically as I start to accelerate from a stop and am making a sharp turn, I can hear it faintly. After about 30 seconds to a minute or so, the noise is completely gone.

#30 ·
Although I've never experienced this on my tibby (2004 with 98,000 miles), this did happen once to wifey's 2007 vy tibby. It only happened on cold starts. And her tib has always been on pennzoil synthetic oil & oem oil filter. We even dropped off her tib at the dealership for overnight diagnosis but whenever it was at hyundai, the sound never came back. Weird thing is that after making that sound for 4 to 5 days her tib stopped making that sound & hasnt come back yet. *knock on wood*

#31 ·
What are the odds of the crank making the noise? That's what it seems like to me. Like I said, it only happens on a cold start-up. If u start the car and turn it off immediately then restart it, it will still do it. so it's only when the engine is cold when the noise is present. I thought it might possibly be crankwalk or something. I'm hoping not tho.

#33 ·
Damn I thought I was the only one that goes through this. It does it for about a good 10-20 seconds every morning. What type of oil filter are you using? I read somewhere on here about a cheap oil filter can cause engine knocking. I'm not sure if this is what it was in regards to. Anywho I'm changing my oil tomorrow and I'm going with a K&N oil filter.

#34 ·
I still have the problem. and i have no idea what it is. i thought it had to do with my flex pipe since it's louder underneath the car as well as in the engine bay but i dont know. doesn't seem to be performance affecting so no clue.

As previously mentioned, I use ONLY OEM Hyundai oil filters. I'm honestly leaning away from an oil problem. Like I said earlier, I think it might be related to the crank such as crankwalk or something but not sure since i dont know what it sounds like. it sounds like a chattering or knocking sound against something. idk what it is but i highly doubt it's something regarding the oil. Also if i start the car in the morning and it starts to do that, if I turn my steering wheel all the way left or right to the point of "steering lock" and i hold onto the wheel keeping it locked into place, the noise will completely stop. Not sure how or why. it's weird.

#35 ·
Kind of sounds like when an HLA looses its ability to pressurize completely due to aftermarket filter use, but I didn't read much of this so ignore me if it was already said ha!

#36 ·
If it sounds like this, I too now have the problem. As for my flex pipe, it has a tear in it, I have full bolt on I/H/E, and think it became an issue when I put on the aftermarket exhaust. . . . . I thought it was the heatshield under the car but it's on there tight . . . .

I also use OEM filters only. So I don't think it's related to the HLAs. It sounds like it's coming from the front of the block, on the exhaust side of the block. Not sure what it is but it's annoyingly loud and only lasts for a few seconds. The camera I use sucks so it's hard to capture it on film.

Click Here For Video

Reactions: Razz
#37 ·
Same issue...took mine to the shop and it never happened for them. I left it for an entire week and told them to crank it cold in the morning and it would happen. For me it happens every morning before going to work (in the garage it echo's much louder and pronounced than when outside). After work it does it after the car sat idle for the day. It makes me nervous with the knocking sound...just sounds like it's breaking and can't be good.

#38 ·
Just had the same thing happen to me. When I start my car after its been sitting for more than 5 hours I get this loud clacking noise that last no more than 5 seconds and then goes away. Louder when its colder outside. Is there anything that i could put inside to keep it lubricated so that it does not make that loud clacking noise? and if there is a fix for this problem?

#39 ·
What oil filter do you use?
What condition is your exhaust (leaks in the flex pipe?)

What year & model Tib?

#40 ·
I have a similar issue.

I bought my tib at 104k and it's currently at 111k, when i bought it it was under some pretty heavy neglect (the dipstick was stained the color of the oil it sat for so long, and the oil was pretty bad.)

it had 3 oil changes (oem filter and fully synthetic) now and it has started doing this after the last one. for me it only does this somewhere between cold and hot; in other words, it wont do it if it sat overnight, but it wont do it if it's hot. it only rattles when it sat for 1-3 hours, and it only rattles for a few seconds.

I've chocked it up to a bearing having some slop in it and rattling until the oil reaches it and makes up the slop.

ALTHOUGH i do have something to contribute to the conversation!

My sister's current boyfriend is a mechanic, so i asked him about this, and his basic response was: since the engine only has a little over 100k on it i doubt it's in the lower area of the engine, my guess would be a compressed spring (or something, it has been a while so I'm not sure) that has some extra slack until some oil gets to it and makes up for that gap.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.