Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My mechanics are baffled, so I thought I'd post here and see if anyone has an idea.

In a previous thread, I mentioned my clutch sort of exploded, and I had to have it replaced. Not wanting to go with Hyundai stock given the lawsuit and all, he suggested LUK, and we went with it. He also replaced the Master and Slave Cylinders, but those were from Hyundai.

Now, however, the car has severe problems shifting into gears. I have to hit the clutch, pop the car into neutral, pump the clutch, then shift into the next gear (while driving). This is the second LUK clutch they've installed, thinking the first might be defective, but it's the same problem. He said the part looks perfect, and the install went without any problems. Everything is cool until the lower it from the lift and do the road test.

My mechanics don't know what's wrong at the moment, and are researching the problem (hopefully to get back to me Monday or Tuesday), but I wanted to see if anyone here had any input.

Thankfully, they're really good about warranty work. With exception of initial cost, none of this additional work has cost me a dime.

-Max

·
pass dat....
4,358 Posts
I have never heard of LUK before, got a link to them?

I would just go with a clutchmasters stage 2 or a spec clutch and call it a day.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
i have a luk clutch in my VAZ 21099 :D i wouldn't install it in my tib , no way. it's like clutchmasters respected for tibs but for evo's they are a junk...

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Pep Boys sells LUK clutch kits. However, don't quote me on this though, I think they are remanufactured.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
usagi said:
Have they checked your syncros? I've never heard of LUK either... That's wierd
That was the first thing I thought of when I heard you have tp double clutch to shift gears. Back in the day, cars didn't have synchros so you had to double clutch to get the gears to sync up right. Most modern cars if not all, have syncros that automatically sync up the gears during a shift. Have your mechanic check them before anything else.

BTW, is your Tib a 5 or 6 speed? The only type of clutch their site shows is for the 5 speed. Just a thought.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Thought i'd share some input on Luk

Luk's are very good clutches actually. They're not real popular with the sport compact crowd though because in my guess, lack of advertising. The stock clutches on the Wrangler are Luk, and they easily last 100k, there are people that abusing this things off-road, and have 150k on with and still hold strong.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've got a 6spd, but my mechanic is certain he has the right clutch type because of the fact that he actually ordered the wrong one to begin with, but they realized their mistake before the clutch even got near my transmission. The two clutches that have been installed were 6spd clutches.

I hope its not the syncros. The absolute last thing I need is to have then drop the transmission and tell me it needs to be gutted and overhauled. That's $2000 that I definitely don't have.

-Max

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
lluks_844 said:
Is it actually while driving, or from a stop going into first gear?

It's while driving. There are times even when I push in on the clutch, and the shifter won't even let me take the car *out* of gear. It's like it's locked into place. I wouldn't call it double-clutching though, even if I did mistakenly call it that. I don't rev the engine before changing into the next gear, I just have to pump the clutch pedal once. Tach is still at idle because the transmission is in neutral.

There's no griding or scary sounds coming from the transmission (save for the occasional 3rd gear grind, which has been an ongoing problem since shortly after I purchased the car..Long story), so my first impression is that the tranny is still in good shape. It's something with the Clutch mechanism. [I hope]

-Max

·
Registered
631 Posts
nope sorry but thats the transmission sorry hate to break it to you. If there was engaging and disengaging issues it would be the clutch but thats trani problems.

·
Registered
4,058 Posts
its not the trans but the motor that will determin your clutch..

it almost sounds like they didnt bled the clutch system right....

why did they replace that stuff though if the problem was with the clutch hard parts??

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
New development:

I'm having trouble shifting through the gears when the car is turned off. Normally, you can move freely between all of the gears when its off, but now it's intermittently not letting me shift into a gear. Never all of them, only one or two, never the same gear, either.

And get this: if I pump the clutch, I can suddenly shift through all gears.

Why would it do this if the car is off? I thought the clutch disconnects the motor from the transmission? Why would it affect shifting if neither are moving?

-Max

1 - 14 of 14 Posts