Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright guys, serious question:

I have a 2003 2.0L Hyundai Tiburon which has an short ram intake but it doesn't have a MAF sensor installed, my question is: this model didn't come with the MAF sensor or the previous owner just remove it?

Also, my car has the MAP sensor, so I don't know if you can have one of these two sensors only or have both.

Please advise and thanks a lot.

·
Registered
2006 Hyundai Tiburon SE
718 Posts
You will only have one or the other. The 2.0 had a MAP sensor in the earlier models around 2002-2003 and switched to a MAF sometime in mid 2003.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey guys I need help too. I’ve replaced spark plugs, pregapped iridiums, all new coil packs. All new upper and lower intake gaskets valve gaskets. Maf new as of last year , spark plug wires new as of last year, new dual mass flywheel , new stage 1 clutch as of last year for both of those. I’m having miss fire problems going from 1st, and when I’m getting on it in other gears lit misfires. I’m not sure what it is,

·
Registered
2006 Hyundai Tiburon SE
718 Posts
Hey guys I need help too. I’ve replaced spark plugs, pregapped iridiums, all new coil packs. All new upper and lower intake gaskets valve gaskets. Maf new as of last year , spark plug wires new as of last year, new dual mass flywheel , new stage 1 clutch as of last year for both of those. I’m having miss fire problems going from 1st, and when I’m getting on it in other gears lit misfires. I’m not sure what it is,
Which motor do you have? What brand MAF did you use? How old are your upstream O2s and what brand are they?

·
Registered
359 Posts
@RonaldRodgz I have an early 2003 2.0L too.
It has a MAP sensor on the intake manifold. Picture below.

Motor vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive fuel system Automotive design

Also make note that these older 2003 2.0L use a different valve cover from the Beta1 cars than the newer Beta2 valve covers.

·
Registered
174 Posts
The first reply that you received is incorrect. They had MAF sensors on beta1 engines the old engines through about 2001. The newer engines, the beta 2, had a MAP sensor. No engine ever came with both. You'll have one or the other.

·
Registered
2006 Hyundai Tiburon SE
718 Posts
The first reply that you received is incorrect. They had MAF sensors on beta1 engines the old engines through about 2001. The newer engines, the beta 2, had a MAP sensor.
That is false. Hyundai moved to the MAF sensor in about 2003 with the BETA II motors. This is also around the time they switched from the SIMK41 to SIMK43 ECM. I am currently reverse engineering the 2.0 ECMs for tuning purposes and all of the SIMK41 ECMs from around 2003 or before are MAP tuned. The SIMK43 ECMs after 2003 were MAF tuned. I can shower you with OEM EEPROM dumps and point out the MAF scalar and manufacture dates of these ECMs if you like, but I think that data would go over your head.

Here's an easy proof on the BETA II. Straight from Mitchell for a 2006 2.0 shows a MAF sensor on pin 60. Weird right?

Font Parallel Number Screenshot Pattern

1 - 7 of 7 Posts