Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evreryones been talking about when you tune the closed loop, you throw a CEL....mine is changed, and im CEL free, what gives?

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
i want to know too

I am getting a cel, i just want to know if its this

·
Registered
67 Posts
ok well got my maferburner yesterday and installed it that night. only really had one problem with the white wire which wasnt connected, so after i fixed that, i started her up, and everything was fine, no cel, mafterburner had power did everything it was suppose to when u start ur car. now i took it ez for her until the highway, maybe around 3 miles to get o I-95, after that i hit it preetty hard around 4 times not redlining or anything cuz power drops after 6300, but anyways still no problems no cel. now i drop my friend off, and started drivin away normally like i do shiftin around 3-3.5 rpms. i get two blocks and out of the blue a frickin cel pops up.i turn offf the car and then start it to see if it went away which it didnt. i drove it pretty far around 20 miles back to my house cuz it was already 5a.m. this morning i first tried takin both ecu plugs out to reset it to see if that worke. still nothing got the cel.. now i took off my neg terminal stepped on the brake for a good 2 mins and reconnectect the terminal, fired her up and boom no cel, ok i thought i was fine had a problem like this with my CAI. so i drove to the quickie store bout 2 blocks away and no cel, switching normally takin it ez. now when i leave the quickie mart i had to pretty much not all the way but stomp on first to exit the plaza cuz of traffic, went around 4-5 rpms at most and boom the cell comes frickin back on. i think its when i do WOT the cel comes on but i dunno. need help!!!

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
back to the original question...

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
smoke said:
ok well got my maferburner yesterday and installed it that night. only really had one problem with the white wire which wasnt connected, so after i fixed that, i started her up, and everything was fine, no cel, mafterburner had power did everything it was suppose to when u start ur car. now i took it ez for her until the highway, maybe around 3 miles to get o I-95, after that i hit it preetty hard around 4 times not redlining or anything cuz power drops after 6300, but anyways still no problems no cel. now i drop my friend off, and started drivin away normally like i do shiftin around 3-3.5 rpms. i get two blocks and out of the blue a frickin cel pops up.i turn offf the car and then start it to see if it went away which it didnt. i drove it pretty far around 20 miles back to my house cuz it was already 5a.m. this morning i first tried takin both ecu plugs out to reset it to see if that worke. still nothing got the cel.. now i took off my neg terminal stepped on the brake for a good 2 mins and reconnectect the terminal, fired her up and boom no cel, ok i thought i was fine had a problem like this with my CAI. so i drove to the quickie store bout 2 blocks away and no cel, switching normally takin it ez. now when i leave the quickie mart i had to pretty much not all the way but stomp on first to exit the plaza cuz of traffic, went around 4-5 rpms at most and boom the cell comes frickin back on. i think its when i do WOT the cel comes on but i dunno. need help!!!
Which code you throwing?

·
Registered
67 Posts
bagpiper said:
Which code you throwing?
well i just checked it out they are p0031 .. p0051 .. p0037
gonna go search and see whats up with those codes anyt info is appreciated..

·
Registered
837 Posts
smoke said:

Send a PM with your codes to TC at NextGen - I'm sure he'll know right away what your problem is...

·
Registered
725 Posts
smoke said:
i had p0031/51 i had to replace both bank #1 sensors

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
which still didnt answer my original question

·
Registered
914 Posts
I wonder if the year of your car makes a difference. I'm curious to see what info this thread can turn up. Hope TC chimes in here to settle anything before it gets too out of hand.

·
Premium Member
2,113 Posts
I've never thrown a CEL with the MAFterburner on closed loop since I got the rest of my setup in proper working order. Now I will, on occasion, throw a high MAF input code when I really get on it at WOT, but that's simply from maxing out the MAF.

I personally don't see why it would throw a CEL in closed loop... unless your fuel trims got way out of whack as a result of a screwy tune?

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
^^^^ Same here. I believe the one P0105 I briefly and randomly threw recently was a result of going WFO. Other than that one incident which cleared, I haven't had any codes from my mafterburner (unless it's throwin airbag light codes lol).

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
ok so can you or can you not part throttle tune ? ive always heard the car fights a part throttle tune . if you can tune it thats awesome because i may want to do that when i do cams , because they seem to make the car run rich part throttle .

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
I had a 327 in my 55 chevy with cam and dbl pmpr, and if I sat a red light too long, I had to keep throttling it to keep it running, cause it would load up rich and lope. It seems their aren't too many options with cams for tibs, so I guess I need to learn more about them to see if they're mild, or aggressive, and if they can be tuned in enough for daily driving.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
smoke said:

What plugs are you using?

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
crower regrinds idle fine( just a little bit rougher but not much at all ) and part throttle drive fine they just seem to make the car idle rich and i assume part throttle run rich . i know this because i helped install some this past weekend and you could smell extra gas even once the car was warmed up .

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
I guess I'm older and old school, trying to learn the ECU and piggy back tune ways. I used to hook up the dwell/tach meter (older cars), tweek the timing and mixture, and go kick some @ss. I'm still slow on the potential of the MAFterburner, and what if any deficits occur from lack of timing ability. I know Tyler was talking before about his MAFterburner on one of his tibs, and I think an SAFC II on the other and the incrimental differences available, but they both ended up similar if I remember his thread.

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
phlash if you aren't running larger injectors you should be zeroed out in closed loop and shouldn't throw a CEL at all... actually i've never had a CEL in closed loop, it's always been open loop for low MAF voltage (cause i'd have to pull so much fuel out of the low end of the RPMS).

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
bagpiper said:
I guess I'm older and old school, trying to learn the ECU and piggy back tune ways. I used to hook up the dwell/tach meter (older cars), tweek the timing and mixture, and go kick some @ss. I'm still slow on the potential of the MAFterburner, and what if any deficits occur from lack of timing ability. I know Tyler was talking before about his MAFterburner on one of his tibs, and I think an SAFC II on the other and the incrimental differences available, but they both ended up similar if I remember his thread.

the best way to find out how the ECU is actually reacting to things is to plug in an OBDII scanner and watch that. i think a lot of people would be amazed how jacked up their fuel trims are with larger injectors and mafterburner tunes (closed loop) if they were to look at that.

·
Premium Member
2,113 Posts
PewpMaster said:
the best way to find out how the ECU is actually reacting to things is to plug in an OBDII scanner and watch that. i think a lot of people would be amazed how jacked up their fuel trims are with larger injectors and mafterburner tunes (closed loop) if they were to look at that.
I totally agree. :2_wink:

And as far as tuning closed loop... the ECU will in fact attempt to "re-tune" the car depending on the changes you make with a fuel tuner. You really have to understand how the ECU and fuel tuner adjustments eventually average together resulting in final long term fuel trims, as that will affect fuel delivery for the entire RPM/throttle range.

I wrote a few detailed posts about my particular findings in this thread. Check 'em out if you want...

http://www.newtiburon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77821&highlight=closed+loop+fuel+trims

1 - 20 of 24 Posts