Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

Maintec 421 headers

907 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  ArtistKS 
#1 ·
Might have an opportunity to get maintec 421 headers used for a good price here in Europe but I'm not sure about them due to the fact I'd need to put a cat in somewhere. I'd rather not butcher my stock exhaust as I'm keeping that and dont like to modify stock parts. I read that the downpipe is about 30cm too short so don't know if a cat can fit there? And also I've heard things about o2 bungs and such.

Could someone explain to me what the problems with the 02 bungs are exactly and how to get around them. And also about the cat thing. What difference would the headers make in terms of sound?

#2 ·
So you need one Lambda Sensor before your cat (best would be when all cylinders combined) and one after the cat.
When you remove your stock header I am pretty sure your oem exhaust is so damn rusty that you wont be able to get it loose from the header without making modifications.
So you will have to do a little bit of cutting and welding either way.
So there is no Problem of getting the Cat to fit.
And use Thermo isolation on the header,otherwise your cat stays cold for too long and you got too much heat under your hood.
This is how I did it: (not a Maintec Header, handcrafted Exhaust...)

Attachments

#3 ·
Where are the lambda sensors currently on the stock system? Don't know much about the stock exhaust.
I'm pretty sure my stock exhaust is rust free, cars don't rust over here. My daily driver is a 1996 Mazda 323F BA and that doesn't have a single spec of rust on it!
So you just stuck a cat there at the end of the headers in that photo?
Also what is thermo isolation?

#5 ·
Not local, from a guy in the UK, I bought them and just waiting for shipping but shouldn't be too much.

I was also thinking of getting the rest of the exhaust done at the same time but custom work is too expensive, a grand minimum. I found this system cheap and it's decent as a few people on the UK forum have it. Shipping is a pita as it's 125 to me but even at that, add a cat and the labour to fit it's still at least 300 euro cheaper than custom.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.