Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, here's some things I've done..

First had an E-bay CAI intake w/ Mussa DAT exhaust.. LOVED the sound, adoured it, treasured it..

Then I get DC Headers straight.. Opened up a ton of horse, but also opened up this really loud obnoxious sound..

Next I get the Magnaflow High-Flow Cat Installed.. Sounds better, but for some reason, it started to get a little louder after a week of driving..

At first I was enjoying this sound, now I'm wishing I had a sleeper (fast, but quiet car).. My friend just got a turbo for his car and it went from the slowest and loudest car, to the fastest and quietest one.

Any suggestions? Possibly getting a quiter exhaust (im affraid of losing HP though), adding something, another resonator, or differnt one? Silencers? Who here has the Mussa/DC Header combo.. Any advice would be very helpful..

Hopefully when I save up enough for the supercharger, things will be better then..

Thanks,
Jerry

·
Registered
836 Posts

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
the turbo helps make ur friend's exhaust quiet

·
Registered
914 Posts
that thing from APEXi is interesting. wonder who well it works, and after a while does it get stuck from grim?
I know there was also another pc. that you weld int he system to quiet drone and such.
mr.photoman was praiser of them i think. i will search for it.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Cold as Ice X5 said:
Alright, here's some things I've done..

First had an E-bay CAI intake w/ Mussa DAT exhaust.. LOVED the sound, adoured it, treasured it..

Then I get DC Headers straight.. Opened up a ton of horse, but also opened up this really loud obnoxious sound..

Next I get the Magnaflow High-Flow Cat Installed.. Sounds better, but for some reason, it started to get a little louder after a week of driving..

At first I was enjoying this sound, now I'm wishing I had a sleeper (fast, but quiet car).. My friend just got a turbo for his car and it went from the slowest and loudest car, to the fastest and quietest one.

Any suggestions? Possibly getting a quiter exhaust (im affraid of losing HP though), adding something, another resonator, or differnt one? Silencers? Who here has the Mussa/DC Header combo.. Any advice would be very helpful..

Hopefully when I save up enough for the supercharger, things will be better then..

Thanks,
Jerry

a supercharger wont quiet down your exhaust like a turbo does, might make it louder maybe.

the reason a turbo quiets it down is because it adds more to your exhaust system before your exhaust gasses exit, like the down pipe, the turbine itself, etc. etc. A supercharger doesnt touch your exhaust system

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Add a Catalytic Converter and Silencers

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
MoogLe said:
a supercharger wont quiet down your exhaust like a turbo does, might make it louder maybe.

the reason a turbo quiets it down is because it adds more to your exhaust system before your exhaust gasses exit, like the down pipe, the turbine itself, etc. etc. A supercharger doesnt touch your exhaust system
that explains a lot, thanks.. im thinking maybe I should sell my exhaust and get a borla.. I just wonder if I get the same gains from it.

·
Registered
914 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Resident Mechanical Engineer
1,848 Posts
I use a 2-disc CC Insert with my Hotshot + Borla combo. Works perfect. It barely touched the sound outside the car, but it completely removed the cabin drone inside the car. I wanted no drone from my Borla, so the application for me was perfect. I'm not sure if it's what you're looking for, however.

·
Registered
836 Posts
mdoggytib said:
this is what i was looking for:
CC inserts:
http://www.newtiburon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84684&highlight=insert
http://www.engineceramics.com/hardpart/ccinserts.htm
but these i think increase your backpressure slightly. though few seem to say they realized the difference.
i dont use any...just reporting it.
but you may want to chk with mrphoto. he did use these.
I had a 3 disc CC insert in before I got the Apexi silencers - it worked great!

I took it out when I put the silencers in though cuz they work better without it - and they are a better solution if you have the $'s, and they'll fit your tips...

·
Registered
9,504 Posts
I swapped my cc insert for a magnaflow muffler and it is just as quiet and flows better. I can get you the part number if you want. No drone, sounds great outside and cost $50.

BTW, what movie is this from? No matter how many times I see it I still laugh:

·
Registered
836 Posts
riggs1088 said:
I have the cc insert if anyone wants it. What size did you get for the apexi silencers?
I got the size 115mm (110mm inside diameter) - fit my Greddy Evo II's reel nice - although I discovered a better way to install them - if you get em, let me know...

·
Registered
294 Posts
everyone that has the evo 2 exhaust says that its loud but the one i got from tibby03 has a HUGE A$$ resonator and its makes it sound like a stock exhaust but just deeper!! im gonna eventaully sell mine whole setup and try something new..

·
Registered
495 Posts
MrPhotoman said:
I swapped my cc insert for a magnaflow muffler and it is just as quiet and flows better. I can get you the part number if you want. No drone, sounds great outside and cost $50.
Thinking about going with the magnaflow muffler matched with the borla or the cc inserts myself; do you still have that part number man? I'm looking at magnaflows site and coming up empty handed (or perhaps it's due to the fact that it's 2am and I'm just getting home from work). Either way , t'would be appreciated.
Thanks.
MJ

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Cold as Ice X5 DONT sell your exuast man... thats the best sounding exuast ever... also if you do decide to sell your exuast (which i know you wont cause i told you not to) dont worry bout HP numbers cause all exuast basically produce the same numbers give or take 1 or 2 HP. and trust me, you wont notice it.

Also, for people reading this thread, his friend has a 4cyl. TC and Cold as Ice X5 has a V6.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts