Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, being that I finally have all of my gauges once again, I'm trying to install my oil pressure gauge (I didn't have it completely hooked up last time) and I'm running into a problem. You see, I can't seem to find any adaptors that allow for my Auto Meter electronic oil pressure sender to screw into my Greddy sandwich plate, so I'm just curious as to how everyone else has accomplished this? Currently the only picture I've seen of one installed on here is from Rickna's car, but I'm guessing that he retapped the treads to make it work. Here's a picture of his setup.

So if anyone could give me a hand here I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Macatron said:
Well, being that I finally have all of my gauges once again, I'm trying to install my oil pressure gauge (I didn't have it completely hooked up last time) and I'm running into a problem. You see, I can't seem to find any adaptors that allow for my Auto Meter electronic oil pressure sender to screw into my Greddy sandwich plate, so I'm just curious as to how everyone else has accomplished this? Currently the only picture I've seen of one installed on here is from Rickna's car, but I'm guessing that he retapped the treads to make it work. Here's a picture of his setup.

So if anyone could give me a hand here I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!
ill call bluegtv6 and see if he will chime in . he is using one of those and i remember he had to buy a tapered fitting or something like that .

·
Registered
956 Posts
i have mine connected right next to my oil feed line....this is on the stock pressure sensor location....just go get a "T" pipe fitting for like 3 bucks at ACE and connect it all up....make sure you teflon tape the connections.

This will be just to the passenger side of the oil filter....basically behind where the sender is in the above pick.....

·
Registered
956 Posts
i thought people only used those sandwich plates for oil temp....maybe that is why it doesn't fit....but heh...

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
look at post 19 its foreign thread standards vs. american threads . but it should work . its just hard . best i could do . hope that helps

edit : heres a copy of a post by bluegtv6 that should help too .

They should thread in a little bit and then get tight. The problem is they are the same thread size and pitch, but the sensors are 1/8 NPT and the threads in the greddy adaptor are 1/8 BSPT. The difference is the 1/8 NPT threads start off at 1/8" and get wider as they thread in. The 1/8 BSPT threads stay 1/8" all the way through. I got adaptors but they wouldn't allow the unthreaded tip of the temp. sensor to go in far enough. I ended up just tightening them in as far as I could without the adaptor which was plenty tight enough. Alot of people have done it this way without any trouble( see above pic). Make sure to use teflon tape on the threads and you shouldn't have any problems. If you do want to try the adaptors they are 1/8 NPT to 1/8 BSPT, autometer part # 2269. You really don't need them though, mine has been on for just about a year now and I don't have any leaks.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
had the same problem so not wanting to wait to get the autometer adapter, i went to ace and bought a 1/8" npt tap and drove the tap in a decent amount. if you completely try to drive the tap home, you might notice the sending unit isnt as tight as it could be so i would advise tapping most of the way and then tightening the sending unit the rest of the way, worked just fine on mine and has been there for a month. I think i remember the threads are one tpi off so retapping that 1/2 inch was no problem.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
brownnote said:
had the same problem so not wanting to wait to get the autometer adapter, i went to ace and bought a 1/8" npt tap and drove the tap in a decent amount. if you completely try to drive the tap home, you might notice the sending unit isnt as tight as it could be so i would advise tapping most of the way and then tightening the sending unit the rest of the way, worked just fine on mine and has been there for a month. I think i remember the threads are one tpi off so retapping that 1/2 inch was no problem.
off topic : what the hell is a brown note ? the note a fart makes ?

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
brownnote said:
Hmmm...well that sounds like it might be the best way to go because I want it to still have a tight fit. I'll see what I can get done tomorrow.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Hmm...I just hooked up my Greddy adaptor with the electronic oil pressure and temp and both seemed to fit fine. This may be because the gauges are DEFI though. Not to hijack thread, but about the teflon tape, where do you apply that? Around the thread before screwing it in? If so, I didn't so that, do I need to unscrew the sensors and do this, they seemed very snug. Thanks,

-Brandon Hamilton

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
yes around the threads....:p they will be snug, but not air/liquid tight

·
Registered
368 Posts
Hmmm...then I suppose it won't hurt anything to pull the gauge sensors back out, tape the threads and screw them back in? Wish I had used some common sense when first installing, lol. No worried havn't even turned the car on since I've installed them though :3_chubby: .

-Brandon Hamilton

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
chadoffl said:
So, they say... when tested by the Mythbusters no shitting occured though. :3_smile:
yep, the infamous brownnote, myth busted but according the trey parker and matt stone, it is still possible with some recorder action :3_smile: sorry for the off topic

·
Registered
956 Posts
on a side note....the tib uses K&N oil filter 1008.....maybe it was 1007, but i know it is note 1004....what gives does the adapter change the filter?

·
Registered
956 Posts
mcdwf398 said:
i have mine connected right next to my oil feed line....this is on the stock pressure sensor location....just go get a "T" pipe fitting for like 3 bucks at ACE and connect it all up....make sure you teflon tape the connections.

This will be just to the passenger side of the oil filter....basically behind where the sender is in the above pick.....
well this is still the easier way to go i think.....

nothing has to be forced in and it all fits snug....same pressure reading to.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
mcdwf398 said:
on a side note....the tib uses K&N oil filter 1008.....maybe it was 1007, but i know it is note 1004....what gives does the adapter change the filter?
Actually both the HP-1008 and HP-1004 work for the 2.7 liter. The only difference is that the HP-1004 has more capacity which is why I (and many others on here) use it.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, I just wanted to update everyone that I got it installed and it works great! Yeah, I ended up just tapping the side fitting to NPT about 1/2 way in (like brownnote suggested), and everything went together just fine. I would post a picture, but it's mounted almost exactly like the picture I posted of Rickna's setup. Thanks again, though, for all of your help everyone.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts