Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Slortchus Maximus Non-Adminus
7,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It all started on a warm summer day in July as a belated birthday present. Mike had just gotten his 1999 Mercury Cougar back from the shop after two months of transmission problems thanks to his dealership dropping his battery on the transmission vent. Thus, although fixed, he was worried the transmission would go out at any time. So, he packed up his parents for their negotiating skills and headed out to find a new car.

In all honesty, Mike went into the day expecting a Hyundai Elantra or maybe even a Toyota Corolla, mainly because he didn’t think he could scrounge up the $20,000+ sticker price for a new Tiburon. According to Mike; it was definitely on his most-wanted car list.

So, they trooped into the local Hyundai dealership, Suntrup, and started looking around. He was pretty dead-set on wanting a Tiburon and the salesman genuinely seemed to want to get him into one. So, Mike test drove a used 5-speed 2.0L with about 16,000 miles on it. Then the dealership told him and his parental units why it was there… the engine had basically eaten itself and they were forced to purchase the car back due to some obscure company policy. So, that ruled that car out. Fortunately, the salesman was willing to work with them, so Mike took another one out immediately. Unfortunately, they had no other 5-speed 2.0Ls on the lot, so he took an auto out for a spin. Oddly enough, he liked the feel of the auto and, with his mom sitting next to him repeatedly telling him that him drove 60 miles a day in rush hour traffic, Mike decided that the auto was the way to go.

So, after a couple hours of negotiation and the signing of papers, Mike proudly took possession of his car on July 27, 2003. A 2003 Super Silver I4… and yes, it was an automatic. Ending price? $13,500.

…and it has all been downhill since then, as far as the fact that his car is a big money pit (whose isn’t) and eats almost every spare penny Mike takes in. His first modifications were simple and based solely upon looks. First were the red-out tail lights, then the brushed aluminum antenna, then the Tuscani badges and door sills.

Then, in spring of 2004, planning started on the first St. Louis meet. Emir (Tuscani-I4) and Mike ordered their Injen intakes and planned to install them beforehand. This was, in the end, what locked Mike into modifying my car. After spending a couple hours installing the intakes and hanging out with Emir… Mike had found his new niche. Within a couple months, he had gone through a KORE single exhaust, back to stock and then ordered an ARK Racing single titanium exhaust. In the winter of 2004, Mike got his HotShot Performance 4-1 header installed, followed closely by a Nick Boers underdrive pulley. There were other small purchases throughout the year. A Mussa front strut bar, Freedom Design rear strut bar, hood spacers, etc.

2005 ended up being a rather bland year and Mike spent a majority of it investing money in himself (aka drinking ) instead of his car. That is, of course, not taking into consideration the $7,500+ in damages his car sustained that year, which accounted for a majority of his 2005 upgrades. Carbon fiber hood, KDM chrome headlights, basically new paint job for most of the car.

Then came 2006... In early January, Mike ordered his new rims (5zigen FN01R-C). Shortly thereafter, he also ordered a set of double-drilled and slotted rotors from Uneek. In mid February, he got hit with golf ball-sized hail which did another $5,000+ in damages to his car and ended up with everything on his car having been repainted, save the rear bumper and side skirts, between November 2005 and present. At this same time, Mike completed the shaving of all badges off the Tiburon, thanks in part to the carbon fiber hood and also to the body shop which worked on his car and went ahead and welded up the rear badge hole free of charge. He currently does not have a spoiler, as he sold his high spoiler off and refuses to put the low spoiler back on. A GT Wing is in the immediate future… as much as some people cringe at it. Also, in early 2006, Mike replaced his mismatched Mussa/Freedom Design front and rear strut bars with a matching set of ARK Racing strut bars.

With most of his exterior modifications completed and nothing else really, save going forced induction or major engine upgrades, to be done, Mike started upgrading his stereo system. This is, as of now, a work in progress as Mike has only purchased a Pioneer DEH-P80MP head unit.

Thus stands his car today, with other minor add-ins that he failed to mention that are listed below:

Chrome KDM Foglight Rings
Chrome KDM Headlights (Cleared)
VIS Racing Evo Carbon Fibre Hood
Racetech Tuning 1/2” Hood Spacers (Red)
Hotshot Performance 4-1 Header
Injen Cold Air Intake (Polished)
Polyurethane Motor Mount Inserts
GarageGRX Ground Wires (Red)
ARK Racing Single Titanium Exhaust
ARK Racing Front/Rear Strut Bars
Custom Brushed Aluminum Antenna
Debadged (Front and Rear)
Red-out Tail Light Covers
GT Wing (#3 Bracket) [IF GT TECH DIDN'T BURN DOWN THEIR FACTORY!!!]
5zigen FN01R-C 17x8 (Gloss Black w/ Polished Lip)
Falken Ziex Ze 512 225/45R-17
G2 Gold Painted Calipers
Uneek’s Double-Drilled/Single-Slotted Rotors (w/ PosiQuiet Pads)
15%/5% Front/Rear Tint
Metallix Racing Vent Rings
Tuscani Mission Plate
Tuscani Door Sills
Tuscani Steering Wheel Emblem
Tuscani Seat Belt Pads
Tuscani CD Visor
Pioneer DEH-P80MP Head Unit
Diamond-plate Aluminum Floor Mats
BELtronics Vector V965 Radar Detector​

Congrats Tuscani GK!!!

And once again from our awesome site sponser Turbo Wax, you will receive:

1) 4oz Turbo Wax Paint Protection
1) 4oz Turbo Wax Pre Wax Cleanser
1) 4oz Turbo Wax Tire Gel
1) 4oz Turbo Wax 3 Amigos
1) 4oz Turbo Wax Last Minute Detailer
1) 4oz Turbo Wax Car Shampoo
1) Applicator

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Congrats Mike!
who's dick did you suck to win this...

...just kidding, don't ban me :p

·
Registered
185 Posts
Nice job. Hopefully I can see it in person when I get out of Iraq and back to St. Louis for a bit.

·
Slortchus Maximus Non-Adminus
7,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, you can blame Mike for that. He sent it to me and I changed all the I's, Me's, and Us's to Mike, Him, and Them....... :)

·
Registered
197 Posts
hey gongrats man! ... i don't know what that deer was thinking aboot runnin into the side of your car ... but it looks great now!

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
lol,

mike did allot of stuff for you ryloth, paid for your booze and modded your car! sounds like a great guy....

anyways, nice car, like everything becides the hood spacers, makes it look like the hood doesnt fit right...

·
and his new kimchi coupe
6,247 Posts
Go Mike! Lookin gooood..

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
congrats Mike and please just leave it spoilerles and save that money toward a turbo!

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
Congradulations Mike, very nice car.

·
Registered
221 Posts
awsome car, bit of a confusing story there, i thought at first you were using someone elses car, then realized that you were mike haha

i love the hood and the rims, they complete her

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Congratulations on COTM. Tib's looking gooooood! GT Wing FTW!

-BRR

1 - 20 of 74 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.