Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to install a mechanical boost guage into the ATI ePod. Just wondering if things may be a bit too cramped?

·
Sam:Moderator of the Dead
2,220 Posts
I would say that would be a PITA, I have an ePod and it was a PITA to install electrical wires. Just my opinion though.

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
RedTibby04 said:
I would say that would be a PITA, I have an ePod and it was a PITA to install electrical wires. Just my opinion though.
What made the install so bad?

·
Registered
914 Posts
RedTibby04 said:
That's [email protected] Are you looking at running copper tubing for the boost gauge or regular vacuum lines? The copper tubing could be a real hassle, but that's because its copper. If you wanted to run regualar vac lines I'm sure it wouldn't be a problem. Next time I see you I'll snap my epod off so you can see how much room you have to work with.

One thing to watch out for is how deep the gauges are. My prosport gauge is about 1/8" too deep for the pod, so it looks ghetto until I can order a proper gauge. Just something to think about...

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tib Fighter2k3 said:
That's [email protected] Are you looking at running copper tubing for the boost gauge or regular vacuum lines? The copper tubing could be a real hassle, but that's because its copper. If you wanted to run regualar vac lines I'm sure it wouldn't be a problem. Next time I see you I'll snap my epod off so you can see how much room you have to work with.

One thing to watch out for is how deep the gauges are. My prosport gauge is about 1/8" too deep for the pod, so it looks ghetto until I can order a proper gauge. Just something to think about...
Yea,
I'm going to have to look at your setup. I went the Auto Meter Cobalt electric boost guage, and I have my dynotune electric fuel pressure guage.

·
Sam:Moderator of the Dead
2,220 Posts
I am not saying it won't work. I just kept feeling like I was going to break something, moving that thing in and out. It is a very tight space, however for a small vacuum line, there would be enough, just getting it not to bend.

·
Registered
914 Posts
RedTibby04 said:
I am not saying it won't work. I just kept feeling like I was going to break something, moving that thing in and out. It is a very tight space, however for a small vacuum line, there would be enough, just getting it not to bend.
Good point. It will be hard to run the vacuum line without bending it too much, but I'm sure it can be done...

·
Registered
956 Posts
it can be done...you would be better off just running electrical wires to the epod....leave the mechanical stuff on the a-pillar....

and wtf is with the copper tubing? do people actually do that?!

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
mcdwf398 said:
it can be done...you would be better off just running electrical wires to the epod....leave the mechanical stuff on the a-pillar....

and wtf is with the copper tubing? do people actually do that?!

I'd heard of the copper, but never actually seen it in use before.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Most people use copper tubing for oil pressure. It gives a very exact reading. It can also be used for boost gauges, its all preference.

Come to think of it, it can be used for most anything involving gauges and readings...

·
Registered
956 Posts
i can see oil if you were runnign oil into the cabin you would want it to be safe.....that is why i just go electrical with everything except the boost...cause i am cheap and the mech boost gauge wasn't hard to put in.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Well, in any case a mech gauge will give you more precise readings... The addition of copper lines allows for ZERO expansion, so essentially you are getting the most precise reading from your engine you can get.

·
Registered
956 Posts
right....that is what i figured

i never understood though....how an mechanical can be more precise than the electrical....i mean what is the difference in one the meter/sender is on the gauge and in the other it is under the hood....a couple feet of wiring can't have any measurable affect....so what gives

·
Registered
914 Posts
I've wondered that too, but my dad and his muscle head friends refuse to use electric senders for their cars. They swear by mech gauges for whatever that's worth...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts