Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting the following misfire codes on my 06 tib. P0302, P0304, P0306, P0300. The first three are misfire codes for cylinders 2, 4 and 6; the last code is multiple cylinders misfiring.

I did have the dealer run a diagnostic test on the car when I first had this problem about a month or so ago - they also came up with a couple of 02 sensor codes; but that issue has been resolved. Now I am just getting the 4 misfire codes. I called the dealer again and they said there would be a charge for the labor to run a diagnostic test again if they find that the problem is not something that can be covered under warranty.

I have been searching for some info on NT and found a similar situation where a member had these same codes. A suggestion was made to replace the crankshaft position sensor. Unfortunately, there was never any update on the topic to confirm whether that solved the problem. I have considered buying a new sensor and replacing it myself, however there is a specific code that would come up if the CKP sensor were actually bad...so I don't want to throw money at something that may not be the problem. Would there be two of these sensors on the motor? One on the front and one on the back? If the sensor on the front was bad, I guess that would be a logical cause of my problem.

Another possibility that I am wondering about is my AFC NEO - I did the install on this and had the first misfire codes come up soon after installing it. Is it possible that there is something related to the install that would be causing only 3 cylinders to misfire?

Would an exhaust leak cause only three cylinders to misfire?

I have read a few threads that mention the coil packs and how they could be bad, but cylinders 2,4 and 6 spark plug wires go to three different coils. So I have ruled out that possibility.

What about injectors?? Again, it seems odd that the injectors would all be causing a problem on one side of the motor.

Fuel pump? I am guessing this is not likely to affect only three cylinders. Fuel filter - also doubtful.

Vacuum leak? If this is a likely cause, where would I check for this?

Gas cap - suggested in previous threads - but again, would this cause a misfire in only three cylinders?

MAF sensor - I removed it yesterday and did clean it with MAF sensor cleaner - I did not touch the inside with anything. I swear, that thing looked brand new when I removed it - when I cleaned it, there was absolutely no dirt that came off of it.

My CAI filter seems to be fine. I had it installed 7-8 months ago and it does not seem to be dirty - only about 6K miles since the install.

So, I am in a bind here...does anyone else have any similar situations that they have encountered and successfully resolved the problem? If so, what worked for you? A crankshaft position sensor runs about $50 at the dealer; is this worth a try?

Any possible solutions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
819 Posts
C-Shark, I've had misfire codes before when I had just I/E but never anything extensive like that, and considering your most recent mod (I believe) was the tuner (AFC NEO) I'm thinking it most likely has something to do with that. You really should pick yourself up a cheap OBD-II scanner/code eliminator for around $30 to save yourself some time and aggravation. Are you sure all the 02 sensors were put back in and aren't loose?

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Make sure there isn't an exhaust leak before you go throwing parts
at it. There's only one crank sensor.
I will check this tonight - would this cause misfiring in only the front cylinders?

C-Shark, I've had misfire codes before when I had just I/E but never anything extensive like that, and considering your most recent mod (I believe) was the tuner (AFC NEO) I'm thinking it most likely has something to do with that. You really should pick yourself up a cheap OBD-II scanner/code eliminator for around $30 to save yourself some time and aggravation. Are you sure all the 02 sensors were put back in and aren't loose?
Yes, I did confirm that the 02 sensors are in correctly and they are working properly. I had the codes cleared when we checked the 02 sensors. I would like to get an OBD-II scanner - do you have one? If so, which one do you have?

·
Registered
819 Posts
C-Shark said:
I would like to get an OBD-II scanner - do you have one? If so, which one do you have?
I got mine off Jay-M on these boards for around $35 I think (just the basic one) and it's done everything I need it to and saved me a lot of money and time from having to go to dealerships or Autozone to check and clear codes, definitely worth the investment. I know others have found ones with more features at other places for around the same price also. Somewhat off topic but I have to ask, how are the gains from the Apexi Neo so far beyond the problems you seem to be having with codes?

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I got mine off Jay-M on these boards for around $35 I think (just the basic one) and it's done everything I need it to and saved me a lot of money and time from having to go to dealerships or Autozone to check and clear codes, definitely worth the investment. I know others have found ones with more features at other places for around the same price also. Somewhat off topic but I have to ask, how are the gains from the Apexi Neo so far beyond the problems you seem to be having with codes?
I think I will invest in one of these.

As for the NEO, I have not been able to utilize it as I started having the misfire problems the day after I had it dyno tuned. I ended up resetting the neo with the thought that it was causing the misfiring. It did not correct the problem, but it was less noticeable after I reset it. I think the settings were not the cause of my misfiring issues, but they did make it worse - the settings that they used for tuning it were unbelievable. To give you an idea - at 1000 rpms, the map setting was at +24, 2000 rpms was like +22 and so on. The overall correction % was around +15%.

When they dyno tuned it, the A/F ratio was close to 16:1 before they tuned it. I wonder if an exhaust leak would cause the AF ratio to be extremely lean??? If so, that would explain why they had to use such high settings for the tuner to get the ratio down...

·
Registered
819 Posts
wow, yeah something funky is definitely going on, does it sound like an exhaust leak? One of the things I was told to look for in trying to determine if you have an exhaust leaks are darker areas in the exhaust piping from where the air may be escaping- I don't know if you can get your car jacked up to look but it may be worth it. Sorry to hear you're having so many problems, hopefully you get them figured out soon. Are you able to confirm whether or not any of the bolts from the headers came loose by any chance?

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
wow, yeah something funky is definitely going on, does it sound like an exhaust leak? One of the things I was told to look for in trying to determine if you have an exhaust leaks are darker areas in the exhaust piping from where the air may be escaping- I don't know if you can get your car jacked up to look but it may be worth it. Sorry to hear you're having so many problems, hopefully you get them figured out soon. Are you able to confirm whether or not any of the bolts from the headers came loose by any chance?
To answer your question about the exhaust leak - I have heard an exhaust leak before on my truck and it had the "ticking" sound. My tib does make a spitting sound (for lack of better words) when I accelerate more agressively. I used to think this was just the air flowing thru the headers as it began right when I had them installed and it sounds like it comes from the engine bay. The bolts on the headers are not loose - I did check those over the weekend.

Some of the symptoms I am experiencing:

A short pop (not really a backfire) from the exhaust when I shift from 1st to 2nd gear (possibly from 2nd to 3rd gear too)
A rumbling/quite popping from the exhaust when I down shift and coast to slow down.
From time to time, the car will seem to be a bit jerky and not smooth when I shift.
After it warms up, it idles a bit rough too - as it would if it were misfiring or running to lean/rich.

Here is another question that may seem odd, but I have to ask...has anyone ever removed their cat back from their tib and stood it on end with the exhaust tips facing down? Did you get water out of the pipes? The reason I ask is when I had my catback installed last December, they removed my stock exhaust and there was water in the resonators - you could shake it and hear the water inside. I go thru the car wash once a week - yes - once every week. Is it possible or likely that I am getting a build up of water in the exhaust that is causing it to sputter, spit, run rough, etc???

·
Registered
152 Posts
this might be a stupid question but how many miles you got on your Tib? And have you changed the plugs? Wires? When I did my plugs I was surprized at how much more the back plugs had corroded than the front plugs. Could explain why its only on one side. What about the injector fuel rail (It might be called something else) is it pluged in, cloged, broken? Is the fuel line kinked? I dont know man just some input. And as for the H2O in the exhaust could just be moisture build up. Ever see water come out of your pipes on a hot day with the AC goin? Or sometimes on a cold morning before it warms up? I would say check the oil for water just in case the head gasket is blown but I think some water in the pipes is normal.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
this might be a stupid question but how many miles you got on your Tib? And have you changed the plugs? Wires? When I did my plugs I was surprized at how much more the back plugs had corroded than the front plugs. Could explain why its only on one side. What about the injector fuel rail (It might be called something else) is it pluged in, cloged, broken? Is the fuel line kinked? I dont know man just some input. And as for the H2O in the exhaust could just be moisture build up. Ever see water come out of your pipes on a hot day with the AC goin? Or sometimes on a cold morning before it warms up? I would say check the oil for water just in case the head gasket is blown but I think some water in the pipes is normal.
Not a stupid question at all - I have 35K miles - I just changed the plugs last week. The misfiring problem started a month or so ago. I did not change the spark plug wires. The fuel rails - I wondered about that too. I have not checked it, but that is another good idea. I have been trying to narrow it down to something that would directly relate to just the front cylinders. I will check over the fuel lines again, but I did not see any kinks.

Yeah, the water in the exhaust is likely from moisure/condensation. It has just always been one of those things that I "wondered" about.

Just changed oil today - all is good in that area.

·
Registered
152 Posts
One more thought.....Do you have a way to check the compresion on the front cylinders? Not sure what the numbers should be but if you can post the results someone should know. Also check the wires that go to the fuel injectors most likely were the all come together maybe they got pinched. Same with the O2 sensor. Other than that I would start reviewing the NEO install. Good luck, I will check up on this post and help were I can.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
One more thought.....Do you have a way to check the compresion on the front cylinders? Not sure what the numbers should be but if you can post the results someone should know. Also check the wires that go to the fuel injectors most likely were the all come together maybe they got pinched. Same with the O2 sensor. Other than that I would start reviewing the NEO install. Good luck, I will check up on this post and help were I can.
I can borrow a compression tester from my neighbor - a retired mechanic.

Will check the wires to the fuel injectors.

If it is not one of these, I will be checking the NEO install.

Thanks.

·
Registered
14 Posts
SOS

Hello, the same thing is happening to me, I don't know what else to look at, I have replaced it:

spark plugs
Coils
Battery
Crankshaft sensor Original
Camshaft sensor Original
ECU
Fuel pump
Compression test and gases OK

At the moment I am still the same, I have the codes P0300 P0302 P0304 P0306

Can anyone help me?

·
Administrator
9,080 Posts
SOS

Hello, the same thing is happening to me, I don't know what else to look at, I have replaced it:

spark plugs
Coils
Battery
Crankshaft sensor Original
Camshaft sensor Original
ECU
Fuel pump
Compression test and gases OK

At the moment I am still the same, I have the codes P0300 P0302 P0304 P0306

Can anyone help me?
Since it's a common side of the engine, look for things on that side......
Intake manifold leak near head
Exhaust manifold leak
O2 sensors

Which engine?
How many miles?
What are your LFTS? (Long term fuel trim).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts