Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey whast up this is my first post on here so take it easy...i have a 2006 Tiburon 4 and im lookin to turbo charge it...i dont wnat anyhitng to hardcore becuae i dont have the moeny to build the engine..im only lookin to run 7-8 psi on stock internals whcih i think should be alright wiht an intercooled system..i have about 2 grand to spend but i cant really find anyhting in that price range if anyone has any links wher i could find a decent system let me know any other useful information would be much appreciated

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just talked to my buddy who turbod his integra and he knows a good deal about them and thinks i should build my own kit so ive been lookin.....hes sellin me a t3t4 garret turbo for a hundred bucks which is a steal ...but i cant find any manifolds...i need one wiht an external wastegate and a t3 flange.. i was on kspec and they have one for 350$ but idk if its for an 06 tib anyone have anyhtin?

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
if the manifold s for beta2,then it will fit , but it's likely not clear the fans, so get ready to buy a set of slim ones too. t3 t4 is a bit too big for your targets. beta 2 will handle more than 7-8 psi, but you should consider lowering the CR with a decompression plate.

·
Banned
434 Posts
apkraven said:
if the manifold s for beta2,then it will fit , but it's likely not clear the fans, so get ready to buy a set of slim ones too. t3 t4 is a bit too big for your targets. beta 2 will handle more than 7-8 psi, but you should consider lowering the CR with a decompression plate.

he doesnt need to lower compression for his goals. That will just lower his horsepower output on the specified psi. To get the power back he will need to up the boost which will be creating a laundry list of other issues.

For under 10 psi you should be PERFECTLY fine on a stock bottom end and stock compression(10.1:1)

NadaV6 said:
I just talked to my buddy who turbod his integra and he knows a good deal about them and thinks i should build my own kit so ive been lookin.....hes sellin me a t3t4 garret turbo for a hundred bucks which is a steal ...but i cant find any manifolds...i need one wiht an external wastegate and a t3 flange.. i was on kspec and they have one for 350$ but idk if its for an 06 tib anyone have anyhtin?

any manifold for a betaII will fit in ANY 03+ i4 tiburon as there has been no changes to the motor that will effect fitment or clearances of manifolds intake or exhaust.

·
Registered
87 Posts
whats up, im new to the site and the tib also. i bought an 05 automatic and im dying for a turbo or supercharger kit with everything needed. i cant find one anywhere!

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
antiquity, instead of making so much sarcastic and mr_know_it_all posts, you should go do your homework better, the stock CR is 10.3:1 and it's a matter of tune , actually with a piggyback i wouldn't run 10psi on stock CR...

·
Banned
434 Posts
apkraven said:
antiquity, instead of making so much sarcastic and mr_know_it_all posts, you should go do your homework better, the stock CR is 10.3:1 and it's a matter of tune , actually with a piggyback i wouldn't run 10psi on stock CR...

worldwide.hyundai-motor.com said:
Having a displacement of 1975cc and a compression ratio of 10.1:1, the Beta has a maximum output of 143ps @ 6000rpm and a peak torque output of 19kg.m at 4600rpm using regular unleaded gas. North American specification cars are equipped a WCC system plus an Underbody Catalytic Converter to comply with the LEV-II (Ultra Low Emission Vehicle) standards. Australian specification cars are Euro-III compliant.
where did you find your data? I got mine from Hyundai.

http://worldwide.hyundai-motor.com/common/html/about/news_event/press_read_2006_10.html

I will agree with you on one point. The tune is very important. But with a proper tune i would run 10psi on my stock bottom end and probably well more, upwards of 15psi. Depending on the specific turbo i was using, of course, and who I had do the tune. But when i go F/i i have a pretty good idea where I am going. However, more than likely it will not be on this car.

·
Premium Member
3,168 Posts
Actually the Beta's can handle more than 10psi on 10.3:1 compression, someone should talk to JonGTR. There are NO absolute's when it comes to FI, what works for one guy may not work for another, but the truth is in the tune. Why everyone gets so hung up on numbers around here is beyond me. Yes higher compression and boost can be a dangerous mix and in the long run may decrease the life expectancy of an engine, but some people try to make it sound like the second they start the car it is going to explode. Trust me it won't. I have been seeing boost spikes in the NE Ohio cold weather of 2-3psi above what my car is tuned for and the car detonated, and guess what? Motors still in perfect running order. Now would I continue to do this? NO! But if everyone were half as paranoid and careful there is almost no reason that anyone around here should be blowing up Beta 1's or Beta 2's, they're seriously well built.

My suggestion to the original poster is this, buy the Alpine entry level kit because 1) it's more than sufficient for what you want, and you can add an intercooler later when you have the cash(though at that psi with the 5th injector it is unnecessary) 2) because a T3/T4 is NOT Beta2 friendly as it doesn't reach it's peak efficiency until AFTER you should have already shifted(aka after redline) 3) because on your budget a custom kit would involved used parts and cutting corners which you should NEVER(I repeat, NEVER) do if you want to keep your motor together. Please do some reading about boost, and turbo's before jumping into any type of boost. The Beta2 is a lower-revving, torquey 4 cylinder, not a low torque, high revving Honda. The Beta's are much more suited to smaller turbo's that start spooling around 2500-3000rpms and reach their peak boost anywhere from 5800-6200 rpms. This makes for maximum USABLE power and torque.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
2500 is a lot for a non intercooled system thoug isnt it?....if i do get that kit...alls i do is bolt it on keep everythign stock?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
and i dont have all the money up front...what i planned on doin was gettin that turbo and just buy everyhting seperatly

·
Registered
898 Posts
You have to pay to play. For that 2500, your paying mostly for R&D. If you want to build a cheap turbo kit(hard to do) you need to know people in the right place and get deals or you can go cut corners, but that is not the smartest thing to do.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
SO you guys think i should go with the non intercooled beta 2? ANd also without running an intercooler you dont think that would do anyharm to stock internals if im runnin 8-10 psi?1 more thing what should i be expecting to run in the quater with that system...my exhaust i bought a while ago is 2.5'' injen stainless it was MUCHO DINERO will work? answers much appreciated guys

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Nada, don't worry, your exhaust is perfectly fine for much more than 10psi.

it is 10.3:1 , but i'm going down to 9.1:1 or 8.5:1 i don't know if it's the best , but it should be good to go.

·
Banned
434 Posts
if you go to 8.5:1 I hope you plan on running 25psi+ psi. otherwise you are wasting your time (and your power) with that.

and i ask again....where did you get your information about the compression ratio?? Hyundai themselves say it is 10.1:1

and do you know there is a formula and a nice pretty graph that shows you what compression ratio you can run your setup on. i bet you cant guess where to find it?

·
Registered
8,088 Posts
The hardest part about the install of the Entry Level Alpine Kit is tapping the pan OR block for the Turbo oil drain fitting. Or for an additional 170USD you can buy a pre-tapped oil pan from Alpine. Swap the pans and your done!
Bottom line is in the long run your going to pay much more for a custom built turbo kit. Just ask people on this site, Dvanderk, Labmix, DanielGTR. These people have all spent more than the Alpine Entry Level Kit and have gone through at least one motor because of it.
That's not to say it can't be done but you REALLY have to know what your doing or know people that know what they are doing to do it right. Tuning alone can cost upwards of 1000USD. So unless your made of money by far the best bet is to go for a tried and true kit from Alpine.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts