Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
@NewTibOwner2011 just realized you had replied in this thread, that wouldve cleared up my confusion the other day, anyways, im glad theyre willing to wave the shipping fee for you. Hopefully they made them right this time and youll have a good set. Keep us updated when you get them.

·
Registered
6,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
I created this thread today. I just transferred all the post here since it is a better place to complain than a thread to give information on angel eyes, and not information on the Morimoto.

And also because I am a MOD and I can do those things :D

And yes I will keep you updated. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I created this thread today. I just transferred all the post here since it is a better place to complain than a thread to give information on angel eyes, and not information on the Morimoto.

And also because I am a MOD and I can do those things :D

And yes I will keep you updated. Thanks guys.
Ya know, i kinda thought something seemed off...:wink2:
Modders gonna mod?
Looking forward to the updates.
Though there is a possibility i might buy a cafe racer over the summer so finances might shift, but that's not a definite.

·
Registered
161 Posts
That really sucks, I was going to try out the Morimoto's when I (eventually) get my FL headlights. However, if you guys like the look of the Morimoto COB angel eyes, you should check out Diode's:

2005-2006 Hyundai Tiburon Angel Eye Kit - Tiburon - Hyundai - Angel Eyes - Lighting

I have the previous version (when they still had the yellowish face) but they still look fantastic. I've had them in for over a year now, and they're doing pretty good overall. I had some issues with the wiring inside the housing (my fault) and after I opened up my passenger side light one time, I got some condensation in there that led to 3-4 SMDs burning out on one ring (they're spread out though, so its not very noticeable until you're super close). But other than that, no complaints. And from my experience, Diode Dynamics has pretty great customer service and will usually work with you if something goes wrong - hell, the only reason I have these great looking COB angel eyes is because I initially ordered the old SMD style, but they had just discontinued them so as an apology for the mix-up, they sent the more expensive COB set instead, no extra charge.

Literally, the only complaint I've ever had with these is that the faces look a bit yellowish when they're off. But since they fixed that in the newer version with white faces, I'll definitely be buying from Diode again when I get my FL's. And at $120 for the whole set - four rings at the right sizes for the year you select & all the wiring - you can't really go wrong.

On:

Off (yellowish faces):

·
Registered
200 Posts
@Scorpio13 actually me and @NewTibOwner2011 were talking about DD's COB lights a few days ago. I think we were both leaning towards them a bit, but with Morimoto sending him the new versions i was gonna wait and see, just for the heck of it. Also i need to calm down a bit on spending so much on the tib cosmetically, so waiting for a review keeps me from burning cash lol

·
Registered
6,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Well, I never said I was leaning towards DD's cob. I said that i WoulWould recommend them over the Morimoto if you want a complete ring (not the dotted style).

I personally would get the SFR CMD if I had to buy another set. Last time I had them I had no problem at all. I would not take the chance to "test" another set.

But since I got the XSB for free (and because I was forced to get them...), I am taking the chance.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Hey @NewTibOwner2011, the first few posts in this "new" thread, you have attatched images, but they show up as links. When I click them I'm getting an error "you do not have permission to access this page".
other pics in the thread show up fine in context....?

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Pics working now, thanks.
One more thing about the regulators...they are not sealed at the ends and clearly there's oxidation/corrosion in the bad one. didn't look in the others yet, but most likely the same. Too late to silicone the ends to seal them? Probably, but I will anyway.

Anyway I called TRS today. Charlie told me to try the dead ring on a different working regulator.
I stopped him, told him I was way ahead of him, and explained what I did. He told me to email them with pics. So I did. Here's what I sent FYI.

Hello. I just got off the phone with Charlie over there who advised me to send this email.
I purchased my 80mm Morimoto XB Halo rings on order # 100021227.

My passenger side low beam ring stopped lighting up. Suspecting the regulator to be at fault, I powered the unlit low beam ring off the high beam line and it lit up, but with dead spots. I have 6 dead individual SMDs, and then looking over at the driver's side I found there are 7 dead spots.
I then metered the output of the regulators and the bad one was only putting out 5 volts, while the working ones were 11.5v. I bench tested the regulator with a 12V PSU and it was even less.
One more negative to note is that the different sizes appear as different color: whiter with smaller diameter, yellower with larger. This may be due to tighter spacing of the SMDs on smaller diameter rings, but it's annoying nonetheless.
Attached are pictures detailing my situation.
Please advise as to what the next step is.

Thank you.

Dead 80mm passenger side ring.

Passenger side 80mm after connecting to working regulator.

Then I noticed driver's side has the same problem.

Metering bad low beam regulator.

Metering good high beam regulator.

Bench metering bad regulator.

Different color output prior to installation.

Different color output after installation.

I did not send this one, and have yet to take a pic of the corroded side, as well as the other currently working ones.

Goopy melted ooze from one side of the bad regulator. They are not sealed, and looking in the other side (no pic) is all oxidized and green and gross.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I hope they drastically improved the new ones as well...That is horrible :(

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
TRS told you they had known heat issues? Any details on that?

·
Registered
6,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Hi Justin,

Thanks for your reply! The switchback halos will still on all the time, you don't have to set them up for the switchback function if you don't want to. You're correct we can't guarantee that the halos won't EVER fail however the new technology is much more reliable and has been used for years now without issue. The previous version certainly did have issue with the LEDs failing due to heat. Even the dealership can't guarantee that nothing will go wrong but that is why they have a warranty like we do. Like I mentioned before your order is almost a year old and our system simply won't allow us to refund you.

Regards,

Jamielle @ TRS
That's the only thing they have mentioned.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I get the feeling of very generic "lets just tell them enough to stop emailing us" type of customer service...

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Going to keep this thread in mind in case mine crap out (which at this point seems likely :p)

I'll have to start using them first in order for them to burn out though. Turned them on probably 2 times before putting the car away for the winter.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Well, I opened the bad regulator to see what's up.

No wonder at all why this ain't workin!!!!!

Can only assume the others will follow suit unless this one was a freak and unsealed on one end. Guess I'll have to take a peek.

·
Registered
6,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I'll make.sure to seal everything once I get mine.

Are the regulators inside the headlights housing or were they outside of it?

Mine were all inside, so maybe I have less corrosion in mine.

·
Registered
6,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
I got the replacement angel eyes.

Basically, they look exactly the same as the ones I have on my car. I have big doubts that they improved anything...

Regulators are still not sealed, LEDs are pretty much the same except that they have orange color in them.

Only time will tell... But at least I got them for free.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
I got the replacement angel eyes.

Basically, they look exactly the same as the ones I have on my car. I have big doubts that they improved anything...

Regulators are still not sealed, LEDs are pretty much the same except that they have orange color in them.

Only time will tell... But at least I got them for free.
**EDIT** Because I walked downstairs and they arrived!
Well, I have to say the customer service part was no problem for me at all. Email was replied to next day. Package of replacements arrived 2nd day after ordering. So THAT's good anyway.
I see the little tabs for mounting...wondering if they interfere with flush fitment against the bezel.
I will seal the regulators AND stash them inside the headlight for good measure.

I have yet to put them side by side with the XBs, but the Is the amber incorporated in the SMD's themselves? As in, they are a multicolor LED ? or are there 2 colors in there, alternating or something?

TRS loaded my shopping cart for me with XSB 80mm for $0, a warranty line, and they gave me a $10 discount on 100mm because they said off-color is not warranty covered. My other option was to wait until they fail too, then do the free replacement deal again. But, that would mean opening the headlights up AGAIN later, plus dealing with mismatched color until then. I took the option of paying $60 and hopefully being done. Doubting it as of now, but we'll see. Pics will follow when install done.

21 - 40 of 58 Posts