Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Administrator
6,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
i was about to answer your question while my father and I were driving somewhere, and unfortunately we went somewhere where I had no internet connection..!!

I have looked at them this morning and it seems like half of the LEDs are orange and half are white. Like so: W,O,W,O, etc. As for the tabs, yes you can shave them if you want, it seem to have nothing inside them. I don't think they interfere with anything inside the headlights, but since I have the FL2 headlights it is hard to compare. I will shave them if needed.

I will open the regulators I have on the car at the moment once I install the new ones. It will be a good compare since mine were already inside of the headlight. Maybe there will be less rust since the environment was closed.

And glad you had a "good" customer service. On my side, it was pretty hard.

Looking forward to see how long they will last. Make sure to come back here and explain what you have done on your install (like regulators being sealed, placed inside the headlights and all the other things).

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Alright. So I got the replacements and installed them. Long day of soldering etc.. but it's done.

First, out of the box, I noticed the white covering is not as opaque as the first version. This is unfortunate as you can actually see the LEDs and a few dark mount points through the coating giving the ring a darker appearance than the XBs had. Also, this makes for a less uniform distribution of the light, so again, the LEDs are visible as dots when on, whereas the XBs had a true seamless white glow around the ring.

I took a sharpie to the inner and outer edges to black them out.

Before / After

The third wire required making the notch cutout a bit larger.

Since the holes I had already in the bezel didn't line up with the new mounting tabs they provide, I just didn't use them. They do seem to interfere with the flush seating of the ring a little. For the 100's on the high beams, the tabs actually just fit behind.

A note on size: The old version fit better. The new XSBs are slightly smaller. This ends up being irrelevant once mounted and on, but it's a fact I noticed.

New

Old

Bench testing before closing up the headlight.

It looks blue, but it's white, and yes the old XB looks very yellow in comparison while it's more like the difference of 5500k to 6k. HOWEVER, notice how much more dotted the new ones appear. The exposure of the pic is way down, so the effect is enhanced. It's not REALLY that obvious, but it is noticable comparing the 2 that the old was a much smoother ring.

Coatings compared again.

The little rubber plugs they provide are for the back of the provided blank 9006 plugs, but also made good grommets for the headlight cap. I used a pair of zip ties to make a strain-stop because they do pull out easily without this measure.

I chose to do the 80mm low beam ring as a turn signal and left the 100mm high beam constant white. The pic does no justice because the low beam HID drowns out the amber ring, but the effect works well. It shuts off the white while it blinks amber, then "switches back" to the white.

Actually appear white in this shot.

That's it on pics. I DID stuff the regulators in the headlight itself. There's plenty of room next to the high beam reflector. Wrapped them together with e-tape and zip tied the wires together.
The rest of the day was spent cutting the SUPER SHORT stock wire for the turn signal, extending it for ease of future removal (please NO!) .

Bottom line is they look good. They are more LED looking and a colder (bluer) white, whereas the old XBs had more of a warm neon/CCfL look to them. They do better match my HIDs and they do match each other. The amber function is cool but I am glad I only wired on of them up that way. Bonus is that they flash when locking/unlocking too which I hadn't thought about.

I now have working old 100mmsfor sale I guess. More like giveaway....

Maybe I'll add to my trunk lighting with them!?

**EDIT** Almost forgot to mention the analog amber 1157 bulb is much slower than the LED blinker. SO of course I had to get some switchbacks for that. I personally like the amber running light, so it was hard to find some that aren't dual color. But I went with these for $28 and they're on the way:
http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OGOTVJC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

with these resistors, $7:
http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FDX6YAE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

·
Administrator
6,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Thanks for the review Nosloppy. I don't plan on installing mine in the near future, so nice to see that everything went fine and that all the color are matching.

I also saw that the old XBs were more white than the new one, but from far away, it will look like a full circle either way, so no big deal for me.

Hopefully they will last longer!

May I ask you why you drilled a hole through the dust cap? Maybe I don,t understand what you're saying, or maybe that's because the 03-06 headlights are made differently than mine, but my flasher wire is easily accessible from the inside. So no need to run any of the angel eyes wire through the caps.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Thanks for the review Nosloppy. I don't plan on installing mine in the near future, so nice to see that everything went fine and that all the color are matching.

I also saw that the old XBs were more white than the new one, but from far away, it will look like a full circle either way, so no big deal for me.

Hopefully they will last longer!

May I ask you why you drilled a hole through the dust cap? Maybe I don,t understand what you're saying, or maybe that's because the 03-06 headlights are made differently than mine, but my flasher wire is easily accessible from the inside. So no need to run any of the angel eyes wire through the caps.
03-05 running/turn light is it's own plug from the car harness. I had to run power, gnd, and flasher from that to angel eyes.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I plan on making a major purchase about mid summer, but if that doesn't happen, and you make another review where they're holding up, i might get them. They look cleaner

·
Administrator
6,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #47 (Edited)
Took a while, but just installed my XSB Morimoto angel eyes that I got as a replacement for the faulty XB ones... Hopefull they will last longer than 6 months...!

For the ones with an FL2, is you want the switchback mode, you will have to splice the RED wire coming out of the amber bulb in the headlight housing (see the picture below). I first thought it would be the yellow one since the cable from the angel eyes was yellow... but ended up being the red one.

Also, when I was installing the angel eyes, I realized how long the cables were... I don't know if TRS were afraid of running out of wires... but that ended up being a huge chunk of wires and stuff to hide inside the housing when closing the headlight back.

And here is a short video of how they look as DRL and when the flasher is activated.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Yeah buddy, nice work!
I think they expect you to not stuff everything in the enclosure so they give you length to reach from wherever.
Anyway, if you're a little OCD like me, .... I wrote a few posts back " the analog amber 1157 bulb is much slower than the LED blinker. SO of course I had to get some switchbacks for that. I personally like the amber running light, so it was hard to find some that aren't dual color. But I went with these for $28 and they're on the way:
Amazon.com: JDM ASTAR Super Bright 144-EX Chipsets 1157 2057 2357 7528 LED Bulbs with Projector , Amber Yellow: Automotive Amazon.com: JDM ASTAR Super Bright 144-EX Chipsets 1157 2057 2357 7528 LED Bulbs with Projector , Amber Yellow: Automotive
with these resistors, $7:
Amazon.com: iJDMTOY 50W 6-Ohm Load Resistors For LED Turn Signal Light Bulbs Solve Fix Hyper Rapid Flash: Automotive Amazon.com: iJDMTOY 50W 6-Ohm Load Resistors For LED Turn Signal Light Bulbs Solve Fix Hyper Rapid Flash: Automotive

P.S. It's been just about 4 months and running strong. And I leave them on with the fogs and running lights on 24/7 as a DRL effect. Awesome. Love that they shut off/turn on automatically with the key or door etc...

·
Administrator
6,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
I exactly feel the same about the amber color. I was exactly thinking about the switchback but ended up forgetting the idea because I prefer amber...

Let me know how those led bulb and resistor turn out... I might be tempted to buy them.

And happy to see that after 4 months they are still going strong. I leave them on everytime the car is running.

Oh and BTW, I checked inside their little black cylinder thingy (forgot the name), I remember yours were all rusted and dirty, mine were perfectly clean... And they were not sealed at all... Weird...

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
I exactly feel the same about the amber color. I was exactly thinking about the switchback but ended up forgetting the idea because I prefer amber...

Let me know how those led bulb and resistor turn out... I might be tempted to buy them.

And happy to see that after 4 months they are still going strong. I leave them on everytime the car is running.

Oh and BTW, I checked inside their little black cylinder thingy (forgot the name), I remember yours were all rusted and dirty, mine were perfectly clean... And they were not sealed at all... Weird...
The switchback LEDs for the side markers/blinkers are 95% in sync with the angel eyes when flashing, and like 90% as bright as the analogs were. Works for me, easy install too.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Just updating this thread before it's too late.
Angel eyes are still going 100% 6 months later, and I have had them on 24/7 as DRLs whenever I'm driving.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Pushing the 6 months mark on this thead, but wanted to report:
Angel eyes are still going 100%, and I have had them on 24/7 as DRLs whenever I'm driving.

·
Administrator
6,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
@NoSloppy

Do you mean the XB angel eyes? Or their new XSB?

My XB started to go crap after 6 months or so. If you mean XB, check them very very carefully to see if some LEDs are not slightly dim compared to the others. That was my first sign.

As for my XSB, they are still holding on. Good news for me. I guess they have fixed their problem.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Yes the XSBs is what I have. If you look back in the thread my original XB pairs crapped out as well, exchanged them with TheRetrofitSource, and have been good since.
Now that you mention it, I DO see a couple of slightly dimmer LEDs. Hmmmmm...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Yes the XSBs is what I have. If you look back in the thread my original XB pairs crapped out as well, exchanged them with TheRetrofitSource, and have been good since.
Now that you mention it, I DO see a couple of slightly dimmer LEDs. Hmmmmm...
Did you figure something out to do with your slightly dimmer LEDS? I bought a used set of Headlights with Halos installed but after 6 months lately here I notice they are not as bright as they were before. I am going to be upgrading them but was wanting to check on which ones to get? I do know that I bought a set from TRS for my Eclipse and did get the Switchback and so far love the output of the lights and so far it has been 6 months strong running DRL. I'm guessing I will be pulling the order on TRS again with the HALOS: PROFILE PIVOT (SWITCHBACK) unless they have a updated one?

·
Administrator
6,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
I got the XSB since like 2 years and haven't noticed a change yet. They are holding strong.

It was a pita to deal with TRS customer service but in the end their product (the XSB) are good quality.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
XSBs still running strong, and I have them on as DRLs 24/7 when I drive.

41 - 58 of 58 Posts