Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was changing out my rear motor mount today and I noticed one of the bolts holding the MM on was missing. Then after i got it off i noticed the missing bolt was actually sheared off. I know there’s no way I’m going to get it out; i was just wondering if anyone else has had this problem and what they did to ensure the other 2 didn’t break.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Getting the broken piece out shouldn't be too hard, if you have a good E-Z Out kit or something like it, also someone with experience removing broken bolts, because it can become a nightmare if you don't know what you are doing! I don't know if you are a 4 or 6cyl, I havn't heard of this problem on 6 cyl, can't speak on the 4's, which I assume you have since your sig says turboed. I could see this happening on F/I, stock mounts, loose bolts on the rear, any one else have any ideas?

·
Registered
5,243 Posts
Get a quality ez out and some quality dril bits. Get a punch or something similar and make a small indentation in the center of the stud. Then drill a small "pilot" hole, gradually increasing the bit size until you're using the bit required for the correct ez out. Screw the ez out into the hole, and then back it out.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a V6 and it snaped while in use/not while i was taking it out. Im still wondering how i am going to do this though for the two normal bolts it took most of my strength and a breaker bar (and im not that small of a guy) i guess Ill try the easy out aprouch i have a kit already im just not sure how im going to be able to get the force down there i think they put lock tight on them or somthing.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Yeah you're right, I remember changing my mounts and it was tough because of lock-tite or something like it. When you start, center punch the broken bolt, making sure it is centered. Use a sharp and/or new split point drill bit, the split point won't "walk", drill out almost as big as the broken bolt. You want to use as big an E-Z out as you can, because you don't want to break it off, this is where someone with experience becomes critical! Some e-z outs are a tapered reverse thread that can work, BUT, with a lot of twist force tend to expand the broken piece in the hole making it a catch-22, there are sets that you drill a hole in the piece and drive a splined pin in, put a fitted holder over the pin and using a wrench, twist (hopefully) it out. Good Luck

·
Registered
5,691 Posts
this was a problem back in 03.... there was an issue with a few cars that I've seen where the bolts backed out. I've seen one car with the broken off bolt. You can usually use an ez-out to get the broken off bit.

Just goto the dealer and get the bolts.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.