Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
keep in mind, i do calculations at the 3/4 tank because that is when i fill up, but i put in the full tank estimates aswell; and that my car is the GS model :

Without CAI: 240 miles to the 3/4 tank mark(320ish to a full tank) making about 22 mpgs driving well (about 2500 shift points manual or auto) to somewhere near 200 to the 3/4 tank(265ish a full tank) making about 18.3 mpgs when i am driving agressive(3000 and higher shift points).

too

with CAI: if i drive well i can get from 260ish to a 3/4 tank making 23.9 mpgs maybe a bit better(345 ish to full tank) but that is driving really well watching my shift points (about 2500 at each shift. manual or auto) to somewhere between 194.6 and 170 miles to the 3/4 tank making between 17.9 and 15.6 mpgs when i drive more agressive(between 260ish and 225ish a full tank) ...

im not sure if this is normal or not, any maybe it is normal and im just feeling disappointed because i thought it would get better mpg gains since i put some of my graduation money into the cai mod? and i guess also since i was looking at getting a tc before i got the tibby, i still get myself hung on the fact that they get 25 mpgs with a bigger engine(the 06 models i was looking at, and with just researching the new models, it says they get 20 in city and 27 hwy, i guess i feel a bit better, but not a whole lot since they still have a bigger engine with more power and torque and thats about the same as our mpgs and we have a smaller engine with less power and torque. which kinda makes me wonder why exactly that is...maybe because our engines are built stronger? but if it is because it is built stronger, does that mean heavier parts are used?, creating the need for more power to move them resulting in a lower mpg due to a larger amount of fuel/air needed for a stronger combustion to move the heavier parts? ) sorry about some of the paragraph above typed, just kinda thinking and trying to get thoughts out... ignore if you want or reply to it, but please dont flame me for it.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Thats about normal. If you do a search there are many threads on mpg....

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
I get 31 mpg highway with a tune and SRI; 25mpg around town... i shift about 3500 because thats what 80 in 6th gear is so that is the best rpm to shift IMO but idk... i don't drive aggressive very often but also i put in 91 Octane.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
First you need to figure out what you're really getting. Estimating based on 3/4 of a tank or what you think is 3/4 will not give you a very accurate estimate at all. Keep track of your mileage and fill up to full every time you fill up--that's the only way to really figure out how many miles you're getting out of how many gallons.

And if you're only getting in the low 20s with a 4-cylinder Tib that's pretty crappy. I've averaged 26 with my V6 over the 34k miles I've had it (and I've kept track with mileage and gallons, so I'm not guessing).

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You did a performance mod for gas mileage? Man ive been doing this all wrong. I do all my performance mods for emissions purposes.
here we go...
i wanted the more power and everything, but i also wanted better mpgs.
i also had to spin it up for my dad about the mpgs for him to be okay with my doing the mod to my car, so with spinning it up, i had to provide the info from the possible gains and in comparison with other cars.

·
Registered
205 Posts
2.7 6-speed if i shift at 2500 i get 26MPG and im 17 get crazy alot lol. and if i go fast around 22 since i got used to it i can race around all day and get 25MPG!!!!

·
Registered
133 Posts
I always check my mpg at every fillup. Most recent: 291miles/12.5gal put in=23.28 mpg. And that was driving aggressively. You will get a more accuract reading if you drive till empty(or close to it i drive till the gas light is on).

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
345 on a full tank was the best i got, Injen SRI, borla catback, traveled at an average of 75mph,03 GT 6spd

1 - 15 of 15 Posts