Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone been part of the community for years now i started off with a 2003 GT back in 2008. I moved on from that car and had different cars through out the years. My latest car was a 2009 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS had a lot of work done to it. Unfortunately some guy ran a red light and took the whole front end out. After that I couldn't figure out what i wanted another lancer or go to a different platform. I was limited to the cost wise from what i got from the insurance from the lancer.
For some reason I searched for a Tib and long and behold the dealership next to my parents house had a 06 Tiburon SE 6sp 89k miles on it. It was sunday and they were closed but I went and looked at it anyways. So the next day I went after work to look at it. Damn i didnt realize how much i miss the tib looks and drive. Talked to the dealer and come to find out it was a one owner car and the owner was the dealerships owners son. Not a teenage son but a grown man. So I started the dealing process to get the car. Thats always fun right. After it was all said and done I ended getting it out the door for $5700. Not the greatest deal but I at least had a car and it was unmolested. Here are some pics from picking it up.

So I got her home and was so excited to have a car back. The same day i got her there was a weekly car meet in my area so i went to it that night. I mean im stock so not that many heads turned. The next morning I go out and was going to get some breakfast. Push my clutch in and started the car and BOOM. Car jerked forward and clutch pedal straight stuck to the floor. I was like WTF. So i tinkered with it for a few days and tried a few things. In my mind I thought well its sold AS IS so i doubt the dealer can do anything. I called them and they said they would come look at it at my house. So the salesman that sold me the car and a mechanic showed up and they said they would take the car back and look at it. I waited a few days for a call and I finally got one. Come to find out they did a clutch to the car before they sold it to me. I was unaware of that. But they said they would fix it. I was not told exactly what happened but my guess was the throwout bearing broke off the pressure plate. Took them 2 weeks to get it done but it was finally done and i didnt have to pay a dime.
So now i got the car back. What am i going to mod first? hmm well I bought my lancer back from the insurance company cause i was going to part it out. Engine and trans still good and all my mods were still good. Well i got my rims off the Lancer and was like why not i had to buy one new wheel from damage from the wreck but thats not much so i put them on. XXR 18x8.75

Alright sweet got some rims. Posted pics to facebook and all. Had and old friend comment on the pix. Well this old friend i met thru my tiburon meets i held at my familys campground. He was the first person and first tib i got to ride in that was Stage 2 supercharged from NGM. So he comments on my new pixs of the car and was like (hey man i still got a bunch of parts left over from my tib) I was like sweet PM me and tell me what you got. Ended up his car was a victum of the intake creaks on the supercharger intake but he told me he would sell me the whole car for $2000. I was freaking out. only had the car for 2 months and i am getting parts of a supercharger kit already. So rented a uhaul and headed to Nashville to pick her up and get her home

After getting the car back I started part swapping stuff. I wasnt doing the supercharger yet but the little things. Intake, Exhaust, Lowering springs and struts. After that i started researching about getting this intake fixed. I ended up just saying the hell with it cause it was to far gone for a cheap fix. So i needing to source a new one or have someone custom make one. During this time i finally found a buyer for pretty much all of my lancer parts engine, trans and all. Ended up driving 3 hours to meet him and we got the deal done now i had $1400 cash in my hand looking for an intake. Well the Tibruon gods blessed me on the way home from meeting that guy my other bubby i meet all those years ago Cody messaged me. (Hey man i hit a deer in the tib its totaled. I got my supercharger i never put on and intake ill sell and some other stuff). My mind was blown again. So the next day I went to his house a few hours away was only thinking i was getting the supercharger stuff but was i ever wrong lol.

He hooked me up. I got everything for $1300. So now i got an intake. Time to start getting supporting mods and re-powder cost everything my color. I knew I was going to need to upgrade my clutch and stuff so i decided that when i did the supercharger install i was going to do it all. Pull the engine and trans, do the timing belt/water pump, clutch, headers. That was going to cost money lol. Started thinking well the silver tib is sitting out back all it really needs is stock intakes and little things. So i sourced all the parts for it and put it back together. Did regular maint on it and stuff. Did a really cheap exhaust and Cold air intake to give it some sound. The car hasn't ran for 4 years. So the day came to start her up. Man i was nervous. Put the battery in turned the key and bam just a few cranks and she fired right up. I drove it a few weeks daily after that to make sure it was good. So i listed it for sale. Of course all i got was lowballers and people wanting to trade. I needed cash. I was talking about it to a friend at work Actually he was my team leader lol. He said let me see what i can do and ill buy it. So a few days later he bought it. Sold it for $2500 so i was happy. Now its time to get parts. So finally got everything i thought i needed. Now i need an install day. At that time i was working 6 to 7 days a week 12 hour shifts. It was hard to try and do an install working that much plus i would have to us my dads garage and i didnt want it in there for a month. Ended up taking 4 days off work to get this done. My only issue now was i couldnt go straight to stage 2 cause i didnt have and ECU or way to tune. The parts car was a 2 bit ECU and I have 4 bit. And also the ice box needed some work. So I was going to Stage 0 it for now. Install day came.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)

Finally got her put together and running. Had a few small problems but nothing major happen. I also got all my gauges hooked up to monitor everything.

Car has been running good. After this install. No CEL or anything. It does run a bit lean at WOT. Stage 0 does make a wonderful difference tho in the car. So what now ooh yea work on getting stage 2. First task was getting the Ice box fixed. I need a new heat exchanger for is so i sourced a new one with the fan on it. Also I wanted to get new AN hoses to match my Black/Red Theme. I was going to make my own. Got all those parts now its time to get to work. Since i had to take the front bumper off i figured it was time to put the STI lip on the car and do my oil catch can

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

So now we are caught up to where I am now. Im running Stage 1 quite well. I am getting Lean CEL but i might have found that problem. Wasnt getting them for months after the install but just recenlty started getting them. I found a Vacuum line with a crack in it. I found a BTR Stage 2 reflash im going to run. Im converting to a return style fuel system. Rebuilding my other supercharger so i have a fresh blower on the car. Ill keep the page updated when i get to Stage 2 but here are my most recent pix.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts