Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

241 - 260 of 295 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Cant wait to see it painted and finished!
Badass widebody :smile2:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just registered to say this is an awesome project. I have a 3D printer as well and this idea is how I came here, I did not expect to see it still going!

Outside of injection molding, is there a way to create more of a bolt on type flare kit with a 3d printer which can be reproducible? I suppose the finish is the problem with that?

·
Super Moderator
4,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #247
Just registered to say this is an awesome project. I have a 3D printer as well and this idea is how I came here, I did not expect to see it still going!

Outside of injection molding, is there a way to create more of a bolt on type flare kit with a 3d printer which can be reproducible? I suppose the finish is the problem with that?
Hey there, sorry for the late reply! I think it's awesome that you registered for this lol! Thanks!

I think theoretically yes, but typically 3D printed plastics like PLA will have issues against heat outiside on hot days. The surface finish can be helped in a number of ways though. I have sanded some ABS parts starting with ~80 grit all the way up to 1 or 2000, and you honestly could not tell they were printed; they looked injection molded at this point. Other than that you could use a self-leveling epoxy coating, similar to I have done in this project. The other issue is the size. Most printers can't accommodate printing one part in its entirety. I had the opportunity to print my kit on a Makerbot Z18, which has a volume of 12"x12"18", which is quite large for printers, but even then you can see I had multiple pieces to deal with on all parts.

·
Registered
5,946 Posts
Thank you Nisco, means a lot coming from a veteran member like yourself
yeah a project like yours is worthy of some serious attention. Random question, i have 1 side of the Tomato AnP C-pillar c/f garnishes. would you be able to scan that 1 piece, mirror it/ print the missing side? I bet you could even whip up your own design if need be. If you think you could put it to use, let me know, and i'll send it over to you to check out.

·
Super Moderator
4,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #251
yeah a project like yours is worthy of some serious attention. Random question, i have 1 side of the Tomato AnP C-pillar c/f garnishes. would you be able to scan that 1 piece, mirror it/ print the missing side? I bet you could even whip up your own design if need be. If you think you could put it to use, let me know, and i'll send it over to you to check out.
That certainly sounds feasible. I appreciate the offer, but I already know I will not have time to do anything of that sort lol. Plus I don't actually have experience with 3D-scanning, though I know where I'd go to get that done.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Man nisco I didn't know you are still around here :) You still have your tib I guess. I have it still to, just had whole rear suspension replaced today. And as my car doesn't want me to be bored he got me another job of replacing A/C bulbs.

·
Super Moderator
4,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #253
So I have done a thing or two since September.

It started with cutting the quarter panels, which will be better presented on video later. Definitely felt like Nakai-San cutting those up. After cutting, the method I used to join the quarter panel and the adjacent wheelwell involved using the body panel adhesive with some pre-cut sheet metal "flex edge metal." Its general purpose is to aid repair of wheelwells. I realize welding is likely the most proper method here, but I have no experience with welding, and do not yet have the time to properly learn it, so I went with this method instead which I believe will be adequate. I guess I don't have a picture of it, but I used way more adhesive than shown below, which was followed by being covered in self-etching primer from the inside.

With any space that was open between the metal-edging acting as fiber weaves in a coating of adhesive (lol) I filled that with fiberglass-reinforced body filler. This is to seal up the area and to prevent rust.

The reinforced filler was sanded down smoothly and then sprayed with self-etching primer.

Following this I was ready to get the side skirt on. Just prior to this I reinforced it from behind and added more CF as well. You can see the edges have multiple cuts made, and the paint has been stripped away in the bonding area to help the adhesive bond:

I like where this is going. I am going to make a smooth radius transition with the adhesive, and the outer relatively sharp edge will remain.

At this point the side skirts are a permanent part of the chassis. Now where do we go from here?

Right beside the side skirt is the fender flare, so that's where I went next considering that the front lip was in a good enough state to constrain the flare. I held off on doing the flares until this point because essentially I needed the side skirt and front lip in place beforehand. But in addition to that I knew they would be a bit of a pain because they are one of the few areas that seemingly appeared a little different than I designed, so that meant I had to make some cuts and adjustments with the printed parts. This took a few hours.. lol.

In addition to the surfaces you see on the outside, I had to ensure a consistent distance of the flare's edge near the tire. To ensure this, what I did was take a metal strip (which was for sealing off floors e.g. at a doorway) and screwed it into the printed pieces. Might be hard to see in the picture below but it's there:

Once I was satisfied with the position it was then time for CF work:

And then I could prepare for adhesion:

Came out decently well I think. As you can see, there is enough clearance with the tires. In fact a little too much clearance, I think I have to invest in wider wheels lol.

·
Super Moderator
4,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #254 (Edited)
Onto the lip. Wasn't all too much to do here. I spent some time adding fiberglass where needed, followed by trimming down excess material. The result is satisfyingly strong and lightweight. It was hard to capture with my phone here, but I could easily hold and balance the entire lip with one finger, no problem:

It's about time I got some photos from the front!

This was on the last warm day here in Canada. Thankfully most of this went to plan, so that I could bring back these parts individually and work on them indoors. I stuffed my rear bumper into my 944, and I will be working on that on its own, followed by front fender and front bumper. This will give me a good boost over the winter to have this 100% done for Spring 2018.

·
Super Moderator
4,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #256
Looks amazing! While your at it you should ditch the side gills and make it a true fender vent.

Something like this but straight up and down would look sick!

Thanks! And way ahead of you sir, I have already made the ducting behind the gills to make them functional extractors. However I am keeping the gills intact, only removing the black "mesh" that's a part of them currently. I did have photos of this prior to Photobucket taking all photos away.

241 - 260 of 295 Posts