Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

261 - 280 of 295 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,621 Posts
FUN FACT: My fenders are now held on with magnets wuahahahaa....
Sooooo.....you have "attractive fenders"!
>:D

LOL.........

Hope Iron Man does not come over, he will have some explaining to do......

Good show, great to see someone taking things to a different level. My wife's Tib is a DD, this not really a candidate for big projects.

Thanks for the update, great luck in further mods.:grin2:

Me, I'm just keeping our Tib running with decent mileage (for gas) and always starts when you want it.
Wife has no ambition to add power (other than we did plugs and wires a few years ago........huge difference).
No, we did "sorta OEM wires and NGK copper plugs", 3 plugs (@170K miles, 3 looked factory), car was fine after that.

And yes, we sold another car, thus we still have the Tib. So, good/bad/indifferent, I'm still here.

·
Super Moderator
4,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #264
Sooooo.....you have "attractive fenders"!
>:D

LOL.........

Hope Iron Man does not come over, he will have some explaining to do......

Good show, great to see someone taking things to a different level. My wife's Tib is a DD, this not really a candidate for big projects.

Thanks for the update, great luck in further mods.:grin2:

Me, I'm just keeping our Tib running with decent mileage (for gas) and always starts when you want it.
Wife has no ambition to add power (other than we did plugs and wires a few years ago........huge difference).
No, we did "sorta OEM wires and NGK copper plugs", 3 plugs (@170K miles, 3 looked factory), car was fine after that.

And yes, we sold another car, thus we still have the Tib. So, good/bad/indifferent, I'm still here.
hahaah... sigh, yeah I'm a sucker for some good old fashioned puns, nice one.

Yeah, I understand. I enjoy that the Tib these days has become a relatively "simple" car. Everything is logical in its design (for the most part), no overly-complicated electronic components, it's good to work on and I never tire of looking at it (despite the irony of me changing that.. but I could write a novel on why I am doing what I am doing). It's the right size, and I just looove the sound of the V6.

·
Administrator
6,930 Posts
I mean, the tib is a relatively great looking car. Look at them, even after 10-15 years, they still look nice. Just look at some other models of the same years, some of them look like 30+ years old cars. So all in all, the designer of the tib did an amazing job. And that's the main reason I'm not in a hurry to by another car / sell the tib. It's still fun to drive, it still looks cool, it's still really cheap to maintain (when you have to do maintenance on it...!), etc.

·
Super Moderator
4,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #266 (Edited)
So, the good news is I am effectively 5 days away from having my car in a good enough state to drive it on the road, i.e. I only have the rear bumper left to paint red.

The bad news is.....
I was re-installing the trunk lock & actuator (I believe that is what it's called) last night - I had them unbolted from painting the trunk a couple weeks ago. So ok I had those two items hanging from the trunk during this time, I didn't think it would be an issue.. but anyway.... the trunk won't open. Thinking it might have been electrical-related, I hooked up the battery, and figured I might as well run the car while I'm at it to keep the new battery in good standing as this car is otherwise sitting. I tried unlocking from the interior door switch, and you can clearly hear the lock working, but, the trunk didn't bulge. Tried everything, had someone help me with pushing and pulling on the trunk, and using the key - every combination of things - and no luck.

We believe that the actuator is broken internally.

Looking back, I know that one time I accidentally had the trunk fall closed, with the actuator hanging off the trunk, and with that sandwiching it. I suppose that might have damaged something internally, that's my best guess at the moment.

Oh but it gets worse btw. I said I started my car up for this... well, it had some trouble starting. I hit the gas pedal a bit while firing to get it to start, which did the trick.. it hesitate a bit and as I hit the gas it momentarily jumped to 5K RPM.. oops.. and knocked a couple times during this process (or made some sort of a similar sound anyway) but anyway it was idling ok after that. Ran it for 5-10 minutes, and got back in and noticed the idle being rough and dropping to 500RPM. I was about to hit the gas pedal and then it struggled more and died. Won't start up again. It'll crank but not fire up. The first few times I tried I saw the needle getting up to maybe 3-500RPM until eventually it didn't bulge anymore.

My fuel gauge doesn't work, so I sincerely hope it merely ran out of gas.. will find out tonight. Granted, the gas in this car is over two years old, but I was just driving it around through the parking garage one week ago. I did add fuel stabilizer probably over a year ago now.. so it probably expired.

Sigh, anyway, lost a full day of work to this. A typical work day for this project for me is from about 9pm after work, until about midnight or a little later - I am pressed for time.

Will update you guys! Theoretically, I can finish the project with the trunk closed for now and deal with that later. But it's looking like I'm gonna have to cut the actuator in half with an angle grinder from inside the car.... fun times!!

·
Super Moderator
4,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #268
Well that's one problem solved... turns out it ran out of gas. But before I added gas I pull out the fuel pump to check, in case it was bad gas - I was curious. Upon removing the fuel filter I noticed these big metal plates floating around freely in my gas tank, which explains why my fuel gauge was often & usually stuck in position. Took me only nearly 9 years to figure that one out lol.. too bad the plates were ever so slightly wider than the hole so I couldn't get them out. Next time. I'll fold them in or something, I think they probably have no use inside the tank right now.

Anyway........ back on topic.... getting back into the body work tomorrow night. Gonna finish up that rear bumper as quickly as I can. Already called the insurance up to put my car back on the road for Friday.

·
Super Moderator
4,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #269
You should drive your car more often as if it's just sitting there it's not good. At least once a month, not just a short drive but a bit longer so battery fills up. Good luck with the trunk lock :)
Would be good but I haven't really had that option. However since my car has been in a single-level parking garage since February I have been able to make some laps around it, like I did today :p Completely forgot how fun this car is.. looking forward to getting back on the road!

·
Super Moderator
4,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #270
Don't mean to keep you guys hanging, but, I've been driving my car for the last 6 weeks lol. Haven't had the time to take some nice photos yet (phone only so far) and I wanna work on a couple other details before posting it on the internet, because once it's on the internet it is there forever lol. Thing is though, apart from being immensely busy, I've also just been very tired from this project. Too many late nights over the 4-month period mission to get this thing done. Anyway, what I can tell you is that it's held up well for daily driving so far. I think I pushed the lowness of the body to the very limits. Any lower and I'd be in a lot of trouble.

·
Super Moderator
4,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #274
Hi. I have some updates from since August. Hopefully this Christmas I'll have the time to go more in-depth. To summarize:

1. I almost died (yes, actually)
2. Due to the incident I was in, my phone got permanently water damaged, and as a result lost all of the best photos and videos of my project - that said I haven't yet looked into a service that could possibly get this data off the phone.
3. My car is ok, but it recently broke lol, so I have a Saab 9-3 Aero convertible as a winter beater. Previously had a Porsche 944 as a beater. One of my goals in life is to continuously step up the stupidity of the car I have as a winter beater until I'm rolling in a Gallardo with steelies on it and a bumper sticker reading "My summer car is a Hyundai"

Talk to ya'll soon!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Glad to see you back.

1. Hope all is well now. just take it easy we can wait for updates :smile2:

2. That's a shame. We would all love to see the progress pics but the most impotent thing is your ok.

3. Sounds like your well on your way to a funny winter car with a convertible. Those Saabs are so common here but I always see them in that horrible green colour. Hope your one is a nice colour.

Look forward to hearing/seeing more about the Tib.

·
Super Moderator
4,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #277
Glad to see you back.

1. Hope all is well now. just take it easy we can wait for updates :smile2:

2. That's a shame. We would all love to see the progress pics but the most impotent thing is your ok.

3. Sounds like your well on your way to a funny winter car with a convertible. Those Saabs are so common here but I always see them in that horrible green colour. Hope your one is a nice colour.

Look forward to hearing/seeing more about the Tib.

Yeah, it was in August so I took it easy then.
Since then I have been painfully busy with work among more important things.

As for the Saab, that's interesting to hear they're that popular around you. I've only seen a handful since I picked mine up. And no, it's Grey.

But man, I don't think 250HP has ever felt so slow with its automatic transmission. Again, because I got it for a steal I went for it, otherwise I employ a rule of manual-only for cars I own haha. I don't mind modern dual-clutch automatics (or similar) since those at least shift instantly, but even then, I'd rather have three pedals. A 2.8L Turbo engine is what is has, and I'd honestly rather have my sub-200HP manual Tiburon. So much more fun. The Tiburon really is something special. Maybe it takes a few mods to get it just right, but once everything is set and in place then it really is a thoroughly satisfying car to drive.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
4,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #278 (Edited)
For those wondering, my near-death experience is summarized in the news lol: https://globalnews.ca/news/4375978/toronto-flooding-rescue-elevator/

Fun fact: I did those interviews literally the next day around 1-2PM after the incident happened (which was at ~11PM) and I don't think I slept more than two hours that night. Adrenaline was definitely the highest I've ever experienced.

Another fun fact: The garage that flooded was the one where I'd work on my Tiburon (and sometimes park in it - I parked my 944 in it everyday when I had it).

The reason why I didn't have it parked in the garage that day (among most days that summer) is because it's so low that it's annoying to go down the ramp into the garage (virtually guaranteed to scrape my custom side skirts and front lip). If my Tiburon would have been stock height, well, then it would have been fully submerged and done with. And really, I do mean fully submerged. My boss, whom I was in the elevator with, his CR-V was 100% under water (and insurance took care of that). That's how flooded it was, which is impossible to think for a garage that suits 50+ cars could fill up completely from a rainstorm over the span of what was about an hour. Anyway, for what it's worth, if my Tiburon had been submerged that night I wouldn't have cared. As much as I love that car, it's not that important. I mean that shouldn't really need to be said, but I thought I'd throw it out there to make that clear. My life has changed a lot in recent years, but the last year especially since having re-found my faith in God then. I'm glad to be here today. I have and will continue on with my life as it had been prior to August 2018.

On the Tiburon:
Its steering rack failed in October. Believe it or not, in 2015 I expected that to be the next component to fail on my car, so I bought a new rack then so that I'd be ready to replace it right away. In early 2016 I got into my accident, which I am certain did some damage to the rack. I'm fairly impressed it lasted as long as it did.
So anyway, in addition to replacing my steering rack soon, I am going to pull my engine out and also:
- change the timing belt (40k KM overdue lol... plus that belt is almost 9 years old)
- fully remove any remains of power steering system (including making use of a shorter serpentine belt) but also modify it so that the steering fluid recirculates in a closed system to keep the internal components of the rack adequately lubricated and within a reasonable temperature - I intend on adding a small reservoir to the system so that the fluid can contain the temperature
- full engine bay clean-up, dress-up, and paint - will smooth out the bay a whole lot, and paint the engine (and all other mechanical components actually, including structural and suspension components)
- close up engine bay as part of the full flat underbody project
I have also considered lowering the engine/transmission by about an inch if that's possible, to lower centre of mass a bit. Either by drilling new holes into my solid motor mounts, or possibly by employing a "spacers" solution on the sub-frame's bolts i.e. lower the whole subframe lol.. sometimes I have silly ideas, but the Tiburon sure is fun to experiment on. And improving the Tiburon in any way possible is extremely satisfying for me.

As for other body work, I have an idea for the hood that I think will look nice and as well aid aerodynamics via an extractor positioned at the breaking point. And, finally, I have one other idea in mind that will clean up the roof a lot. I didn't fully finish my car in June, but it really was dragging on and had to sell my 944 so I finished it just enough that it would be acceptable for this past summer. So I actually left the roof as it was, with rust spots and original paint (my new red paint is not Rally Red). I will be busy with a lot of other details as well such as fog light lens covers, headlights and taillights modifications, and grilles. The list never ends but that's part of the fun lol

It'll be a busy winter. Really looking forward to working on the Tib to have to all good and ready for Spring 2019. In the meantime this 9-3 is something I am grateful for (got it for an excellent deal), being a convertible is fun (or will be once the winter is over). That said I gotta go replace its coil plugs this week since it's occasional misfiring and I'm getting 13+L/100km lol... sigh cars lol...
Anyway, that's it for my all-over-the-place thoughts at the moment.

·
Super Moderator
8,621 Posts
Well, if you were in school, and went back in September and the teacher asked what you did during summer vacation, you would have had one heck of a story (yes, I read the link and watched some of the videos).

261 - 280 of 295 Posts