Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner
41 - 52 of 52 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
I bought an 5mm gloss black acrylic Perspex sheet off eBay and made a pod filter cover. I made a cardboard template, traced it and cut it out with an angle grinder.
This is mainly for legal purposes. We get defected over here with a pod filter showing in the engine bay like I had it.

I drilled some holes underneath the filter which leads to the front bumper wheel well area to give it some cooler air. I added the Kinugawa decal for an extra 10hp 馃槀 I just had it laying around when I bought the turbo.
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Hood
Motor vehicle Light Automotive tire Hood Automotive design
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Tire Automotive design
Wheel Tire Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood
Car Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Wheel

Registered
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
I just installed a Saas digital oil pressure gauge.
I tee鈥檇 it off the side of the head where the turbo oil feed is. The oil pressure started off strong at about 45psi on cold start. When the engine got to operating temp it drops way down. I saw it hit a low of 9psi. When I give it a rev it jumps up to about 20psi or so.
I then went for a drive and it sits about 15psi. I pulled over and it dropped to 5psi.

Does this sound normal to u guys. I thought it should be a bit higher than that.

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive fuel system Automotive exterior
Speedometer Odometer Car Tachometer Vehicle

Administrator
Maybe a little low, what weight and type oil are you running?

Keep in mind, the oil pump has some wear as do bearing clearances. Cold/thick oil does not flow through bearings as well, as it warms up it flows out faster. This is most of the reason for the pressure change. The higher revs puts more in the system, faster than it leaks out thus higher pressure at higher revs.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Makes sense, it seemed the hotter it got the lower the pressure was.
I鈥檓 using Nulon full synthetic 5w-30.
Not sure if I should leave it as is or move the sensor to the factory spot or get a sandwich adapter for the oil filter.
Do u know where most other guys run theirs ?

Administrator
In theory (based on noncompressability of fluids), it shouldn't make a difference where the sender mounts.
As to what others do, I go furthest from the pump where it "may" be lowest pressure, if it looks good there, it will be fine everywhere else.
I say lowest since many other bearing clearances have siphoned off oil, thus pressure.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Ok thanks guys. I just did another cold start and it鈥檚 back up to 45psi again.
I might just leave it as is, the compressor housing on the turbo is in the way of the stock location anyway.
On this gauge I can set a low pressure warning and it starts beeping. I鈥檒l set it at 5psi.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
What鈥檚 u guys thoughts on my current set up with this car running 5psi on the stock injectors and ecu ? Will the stock ecu keep the engine in the safe zone? Or will it eventually crack a ring or ring land or kill the engine. ?
Im just at the stage of not really wanting to spend the extra $3000-4000 with the ecu install and tune for the sake of an extra 3-5psi of boost.
The power level as is, is decent.
From memory the stock ecu was holding the AFRs in the high 11鈥檚 - low 12鈥檚 and it should be pulling some timing to suit on boost ?

Premium Member
2006 Hyundai Tiburon SE
5psi might be safe-ish. Which ECU does your car have? Kefico single connector or two connector? Siemens 2 connector? Is it MAP or MAF based?

The MAF based cars will pickup on the additional airflow and compensate with more fuel to a degree... But the only way it will pull timing is if the ECU sees high IATs. The ECU doesn't know you're feeding it boost if it's a MAF based car. The MAP based cars will need a tune. Any change to the volumetric efficiency will throw the ECU way off base in that scenario.

For reference on the supercharged 2.7L cars we don't push more than 3psi untuned on stock injectors. At 5-6 psi we have to up to injector size to 310-360cc and pull timing back to 24 degrees of advance above a certain airflow threshold otherwise we detonate and melt pistons. If the IAT is moved to the boost side of the blower we see around 5 degrees of timing being pulled over a certain temperature threshold.

Although supercharging is a bit different than turbocharging so a late power band with a little more boost may be safer because your ECU is already in open loop enrichment by the time you are making real power. Typically I see the Siemens OEM tunes start enrichment around 70% throttle. Supercharged and turbocharged reflashes typically start open loop enrichment around 30% throttle. The transitional point just before open loop is trigger would be where you may detonate because the AFR is still targeting 14.7 up to 70% throttle.

Premium Member
2006 Hyundai Tiburon SE
That is unusual! You seem to have a newer ECU than what that chassis should have. The 1999 Elantra should have a Kefico ECU much like the early 96-00 Tiburon like the following:

Rectangle Gas Box Electronic device Font

I am not familiar with your ECU unfortunately so I can't give you any real insight. But my guess is that WOT enrichment doesn't start until at least 60% throttle and the fact that you've got a MAP sensor means you need to remap the volumetric efficiency table to make it reliable and safe.

41 - 52 of 52 Posts