Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, needless to say, I had a really sh!ty Saturday morning. :3_saai: Yeah, I was on my out to run a few errands and then wash my car because it was sunny and 70 degrees outside (crazy November weather), but when I got to my car I realized that all was not well. Yep, the thieving sons of b!tches got me. They made off with around $1,600 worth of my stuff which included my Alpine 9815 HU, my Sirius satellite radio (just the LCD display but it's useless now), my 30GB Ipod Photo (it was in the center console), all 3 of my gauges (Autometer oil psi & boost and my Innovate wideband XD-16) including the gauge pod and OEM a-pillar, and they even stole my freaking cell phone charger. It looks like they were going to try and steal the subs too because the rear seat was folded down, but something must have scared them off. What's crazy though is they didn't take a single CD! Also they didn't touch my little Craftsman tool box or even open up my duffle bag full of cleaning supplies that was behind my driver's seat...I mean, a thief wouldn't know that there is cleaning supplies in there to begin with...it could be full of money for all they're concerned. So that's why the police told me that my car must have been a targeted hit...due to those reasons as well as the fact that my car was the ONLY car hit, and I live in a really nice apartment complex with new Vettes, 5 Series BMWs, Cobra Mustangs, and Mercedes Bens all around the parking lot. So why the hell would they even bother with my Hyundai? The only thing I can guess is if maybe it's someone that knows my car from work...maybe not someone that actually works there, but a friend of theirs or something. Either way, it's done and over with now, and there's nothing I can really do about it. It just looks like I'll be investing in a really nice 2-way pager car alarm now because at least with that I have a chance to be warned when someone is breaking into my car. Not to mention, that I no longer even feel safe to park in my own parking-lot now...nice neighborhood or not. Good news though, the my insurance will be covering my driver side window including re-tinting it as well, and I should be hearing from the adjuster sometime tomorrow or soon after for the rest of the claim. Sh!t like this just really makes you feel really vulnerable and unsecure. Anyway, that's enough ranting for now. Here's the pictures.























 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,614 Posts
feel sorry for you. that's very awful.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
386 Posts
hey you said they got your sat unit.. call siruis and let them know, the have the esn (i think thats right) number on file, when someone goes to activate it they find it... Other than that sry to hear about that...
 

·
Former CIO
Joined
·
10,258 Posts
at least they didnt pop the hood :) but yea, that friggin sux. get the new viper two way w/ SST technology w/ up to a 1 mile range. goes for about 300 bux and around 500 installed. well worth the investment.
 

·
Former CIO
Joined
·
10,258 Posts
tonic21 said:
hey you said they got your sat unit.. call siruis and let them know, the have the esn (i think thats right) number on file, when someone goes to activate it they find it... Other than that sry to hear about that...

that would be bad a$$ if they caught them like that.
 

·
Pete: The Man
Joined
·
4,366 Posts
that sucks man. i may be able to profile things a little better for you than a police officer.

the cd's being left....that would likely be due to the fact they were taking things that could be sold. it can also suggest that is someone you know. they don't think to take them because they are a more personal item, tehy only focus on what they KNOW they are taking. Which leads me to the second part; yes, it was more than likely a targeted hit on your car. they knew what you had, and knew what they were going for. The fact that they didn't look in the bag also may suggest taht they already KNEW what was in it, thus being someone you know. Most common thieves will take anything that can be of instant value to them. not looking in the bag could have also been from a time constraint, taht is why they didn't take the subs. Too long to remove them. everything else was a "grab and go" item pretty much. basically man, watch out for your friends. it really sounds like it may be one of them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
tonic21 said:
hey you said they got your sat unit.. call siruis and let them know, the have the esn (i think thats right) number on file, when someone goes to activate it they find it... Other than that sry to hear about that...
Yeah, I thought about that too, but, being that they only got the LCD display (which they ripped the wire out of), it's completely useless to anybody now. Either way, I think that I'm going to be replacing it with a HU that is Sirius ready, so that way I can keep everything tied into just one unit. I tell you...you think stuff like this will never happen to "you" and then it does. I mean it could be a whole lot worse. They could have stole the whole car and wrapped it around a tree or something...then I would have lost everything. Oh well, you live and you learn. Thanks for your concern though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,976 Posts
Aww..... Sh!t..... I'm really sorry to hear that....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
386 Posts
Macatron said:
Yeah, I thought about that too, but, being that they only got the LCD display (which they ripped the wire out of), it's completely useless to anybody now. Either way, I think that I'm going to be replacing it with a HU that is Sirius ready, so that way I can keep everything tied into just one unit. I tell you...you think stuff like this will never happen to "you" and then it does. I mean it could be a whole lot worse. They could have stole the whole car and wrapped it around a tree or something...then I would have lost everything. Oh well, you live and you learn. Thanks for your concern though.

Anytime, thats what happen when my nissan was broken into, they went and tried to install the sat radio and activate it (bumba$$'s) since i had already called them and let them know it was stolen, they knew where everything was..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
READY2PLAY said:
that sucks man. i may be able to profile things a little better for you than a police officer.

the cd's being left....that would likely be due to the fact they were taking things that could be sold. it can also suggest that is someone you know. they don't think to take them because they are a more personal item, tehy only focus on what they KNOW they are taking. Which leads me to the second part; yes, it was more than likely a targeted hit on your car. they knew what you had, and knew what they were going for. The fact that they didn't look in the bag also may suggest taht they already KNEW what was in it, thus being someone you know. Most common thieves will take anything that can be of instant value to them. not looking in the bag could have also been from a time constraint, taht is why they didn't take the subs. Too long to remove them. everything else was a "grab and go" item pretty much. basically man, watch out for your friends. it really sounds like it may be one of them.
Yeah, that's why I was thinking it could be someone from work as well, but I really don't have anyway to prove it unless they slip up and start talking about it to where I catch wind of it. But, yeah, that's pretty much how I see it too. If they already knew the bag was full of cleaning supplies, that would explain why it didn't even get touched. I swear this stuff only happens when you get your car exactly how you what it...aside from a few appearance mods. :3_saai:
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
312 Posts
That sucks man.. same thing happened to me like 2 years ago. I learned to stop leaving **** out in the open... ESPECIALLY an iPod... I always pop the faceplate and toss the iPod in the center console... the thieves won't know its still in the car, but they're a lot more likely to pass it up, not worth breaking into a car when they don't know if there is anything inside.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
bms231 said:
at least they didnt pop the hood :) but yea, that friggin sux. get the new viper two way w/ SST technology w/ up to a 1 mile range. goes for about 300 bux and around 500 installed. well worth the investment.
Yeah...that was one of the first things that I looked at! I was like, "PLEASE still be there!" All in all, it could have been a WHOLE lot worse, but it really sucks just the same. As for car alarms, I'm really liking what I'm seeing about the Compustar 2WSS-AS (good up to 6,000ft away), but I'm looking into the Viper 791xv as well. All I can say is that I'm going have a bad A$$ alarm from now on that's for sure!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
GTea said:
That sucks man.. same thing happened to me like 2 years ago. I learned to stop leaving **** out in the open... ESPECIALLY an iPod... I always pop the faceplate and toss the iPod in the center console... the thieves won't know its still in the car, but they're a lot more likely to pass it up, not worth breaking into a car when they don't know if there is anything inside.
Yeah, I'll agree that it didn't help that I left my face plate on my HU, but, in my defense, my iPod was buired under some napkins in my center console, so they had to actually look to find it. But, in the future, I know that I'm not going to leave A DAMN thing in my car! It's just not worth the risk.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,698 Posts
yah, sorry to hear about this man.. but you know.. just about everything that was taken was stuff that was out in the open, and visible thru the window.. and they probably chose your car bc more expensive ones usually have alarms. it looks like they gave up on your subs because the wouldnt fit out thru the back passageway with the rrm strut bar back there. apparently they could pop off the conter console and gauge pillar, but they couldnt find the trunk release? looks more like some teens or crackheads rather than someone who knows your car. they may have opened your duffel and then closed it back up.. you never know..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,343 Posts
READY2PLAY said:
that sucks man. i may be able to profile things a little better for you than a police officer.

the cd's being left....that would likely be due to the fact they were taking things that could be sold. it can also suggest that is someone you know. they don't think to take them because they are a more personal item, tehy only focus on what they KNOW they are taking. Which leads me to the second part; yes, it was more than likely a targeted hit on your car. they knew what you had, and knew what they were going for. The fact that they didn't look in the bag also may suggest taht they already KNEW what was in it, thus being someone you know. Most common thieves will take anything that can be of instant value to them. not looking in the bag could have also been from a time constraint, taht is why they didn't take the subs. Too long to remove them. everything else was a "grab and go" item pretty much. basically man, watch out for your friends. it really sounds like it may be one of them.
Ready2play said what i was going to. They knew what you had and what they wanted. Sorry it happened man ive been through it before myself. Hope you get everything repalced.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,615 Posts
Somebody needs a serious can of a$$ woop opened up on them! Sorry to hear about it man :3_saai: .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
456 Posts
exact same thing happened to my tibby. targeted and took what they new i had.

but what im curious about is how did they get your HU out without setting off your alarm. they must have crawled thru the side window. that would be pretty hard to do for most people. perhaps they tried to unlock the door from the inside after they busted out the window and set off the stock alarm?
 
1 - 20 of 74 Posts
Top