Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well a few months ago I decided to learn how to build a fiberglass speaker box. I've never worked with fiberglass before. Let alone build a speaker box since High School geometry.....

I was going to build a box into the corner, but ditched that idea. I just didn't like how it was going to turn out for what I had in my mind.. There are pictures of that process too. I still have the mold, might put it up for sale and finish for who ever wants it...

So I started with a sheet of 3/4" MDF. I cut it down to fit between the two towers. Then with the help of Jesse (snakepool) we cut the rings and raisers for the rings. Kathlene (my wife) actually cut out the speaker rings for me. Her 1st time with a power tool.

Installed the speaker mounts, then wrapped it all with fleece and finally started to lay down the fiberglass. Once that was build up to about 7 layers I started to grind it down and then put on the bondo to get it smooth.

Its painted black with a metallic mid coat and then about 4 coats of clear. Matt (another member here) helped with the final sanding & painting.

I then started in on what to do with the amps. With some help from UnHolyTib (he's the one that does the front delete plates and other laser etch stuff - www.midnight-wolf.com) we came up with the design that you see now. The lighting I just added some green Varad lights to the white ones I had back there already.

Thank you to Fusion Car Audio for the Great produt. I've only had a 10" in the stock box for a while and with two 12" s it sounds great.

2- Power Plant 12" subs
1- 2ch 1500w amp (Power Plant)
1- 4ch 800 w amp (Power Plant)
6x0's for the rear
6.5 components for the front

but onto the pictures....

·
Registered
4,923 Posts
ooooohhh looks great ,i never understood why the woofers are reversed ?does it sound better ?or more for looks? i'm not a huge audio guy so thtas why i ask......... and looks like you got another sponsor lol

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
There is a difference in sound, but it's not really a huge deal. As long as the box is built to spec for the subs you should be fine.

Looks good, those acrylic plates the amps are on are badass, MW does goooood work.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I wish i knew SOMETHING about systems..... nevermind setting them up crazy like this. awesome work.....

......im jealous :(

·
Registered
915 Posts
looks sick. and props on the hot wife. :)

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
That is awesome! Excellent job. Especially for this being your first time doing FG work. I'm gonna need to talk to Wyatt sometime soon. I need a few things to add to my hatch. :)

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Fantastic build. I would do something like this, but lack of funds and a love of not having a bunch of weight rolling down the track keep me at bay.

Much props to you.

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
What fusion subs are those? Are they the powerplants? Looks like the amps are powerplants too. How loud is it? I'm going to buy some atomics if I ever want to really get competitive in my audio. Fusion is too expensive for my tastes. There is one dealer in minnesota and always thinks I'm being to cheap. Guy doesn't really know a whole lot about car audio like he says and only cares about money. Wanted me to build custom car pcs for him to sell. I said no of course.

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks guys....

It was fun building it. A very good learning experience. I might do it again, but probably more MDF next time. I know the wife is looking into what she wants....I can just see something balck/pink in the back of the 07..

wikid...should of said hello....

dianes - yes thats all Power Plant stuff. I'm happy with how it sounds. I dont know db or any of that, but its nice. Its a solid bass too. LMK what your looking for and I'll see if I can help you out.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Sorry momma told me not to talk to strangers :). No really though the ribs were the only thing I looked at there I was bad sick I was passed out in my friends car most of the day

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Looks great, and I'm sure it sounds good.

Maybe I'm just missing something, but why did you make a mold for the corner if your setup is in the middle? That's been perplexing me since you first posted this, but I forgot to ask about it.

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I was going to build the box for the corners..but ditched the idea... So now I have a partial built box sitting in my garage. Thinking of maybe selling it (I'll finish it) or just trashing it.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Great job AJ!! Dont you think i forget about the CCFL, i am just waiting for the time when i put my ride in the shop for body upgrade then i will send you my headlights brah! Also, you should really think building these custom boxes for our community.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts