Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner
41 - 60 of 120 Posts
Discussion starter · #41 ·
Well @RetfirDMX
EDIT: Done some research now, and, I think I lucked out big time. Once I'm at the stage to grab a photo of why I say that I will post it.
@RetfirDMX Sorry a bit delayed on this. I actually finished the hood but here's the portion where I used that clear:

See, when you posted about the SprayMax that was right at the time when I was getting ready to spray the hood.
Unfortunately I messed up the CF fabric on it, but I figured out why and learned from it for next time. I will redo it next year probably. But for now this will have to do, I have to get driving my supercharged Tib! Especially since my I4 GK broke down a couple days ago and don't have a car at the moment :/

Here's another little teaser image:

Man, what a learning process this project still continues to be...

I really like your tib, and it makes me itch to buy a v6 '06 model year tib to build.
Ever considered getting this on social media? youtube? getting a bit of exposure to show the rest of the car culture that tibs are actually cool?

Reactions: 131473
Discussion starter · #43 ·
I really like your tib, and it makes me itch to buy a v6 '06 model year tib to build.
Ever considered getting this on social media? youtube? getting a bit of exposure to show the rest of the car culture that tibs are actually cool?
Thanks sir, I take it you're all about the FL2 otherwise? I have some exterior ideas for that one too btw lol... especially since I own one.

Yeah, I have considered it. Occasionally I make the odd post on Instagram, and when I first started V2.0 of my printed kit I was filming key moments with a serious intention to make a YouTube series. The majority of that footage though ended up being on my phone, which got submerged in August 2018's flooded elevator incident (posted about in the printed thread). Granted, I still haven't gone to see if the data could be extracted from that phone. We are now pushing two years on that so maybe I should check into it.

On your point of showing that Tibs are actually cool- I totally get that, but to be honest I like that it's the underdog. That way it always wins and continues to be an interesting car. But fair enough I wouldn't mind demonstrating my project in some video format. While I am capable of producing good quality video content (I have experience doing so for my job) it is just so time-consuming and I'd have to find out if I could get the data off my old phone. I would be open to being featured on an existing YouTube channel, but I am not going to go out and submit applications lol. In any case, I have often thought about this: these days, for a lot of years now, automotive content gets posted on YT & FB/IG pretty much exclusively. The use of forums has probably diminished by 90% from my point of view since the 00's at their peak. But anyone who comes across my threads will then have a different experience following a build on YT or other social media. It's an arguable comparison but I would say it's almost like reading a book versus watching its movie. But thankfully in this case it's a picture book lmao

Discussion starter · #44 ·
Alright back to September 2019's progress, in a minute. First, just announcing that last week my winter/backup I4 FL2 Tiburon broke down - both the clutch and shifter are inoperable (stuck in neutral). I will separate the transmission and find out what's going on. But now the pressure is on: I am going to have my main one back on the road this month, June 2020. As of this moment I am finishing whatever little fiberglass/paint type of work that I have started then onto what is remaining of mechanical reassembly.

So, after the steering rack conversion: In the interest of keeping the engine bay clean I had to relocate the daytime running lights module. Not the cleanest mounting I suppose lol but it fits and won't be seen:

And the battery location btw. This position does require the headlight to be removed if I were to need to access the battery terminals but IMO that's a fair tradeoff in the interest of a clean engine bay. Generally I challenge myself in instances like this to design modifications in such a way that the user experience isn't compromised, but in this case I think it's acceptable due to how few times you actually need to access the battery. Plus the battery is new and I won't be driving the car in winter.

Status of the Fuse Box at this point:

That's in preparation for the wire tuck.

Now, it didn't take long for me to get the engine back in. But man those headers have seen better days. More on that in a minute.

INTERMISSION:
Quick side project. Ok, so long story short my dad had a GK but the passenger side wiper stopped working. This was when I was doing the body kit on mine in 2017 so I offered him my wiper assembly in the meantime. Then he had to get rid of his car and we forgot about that exchange. So I had his old assembly, which was broken at the linkage (hope that's the right word) to the passenger wiper. I ended up just drilling a hole and popping a codder pin through it. It's somewhat of a common issue for our cars so here's my pro tip to save buying a new assembly. I am confident it'll work:

And back to business: The headers weren't looking all that nice after years of driving including winter (I was in my early 20s and couldn't afford a second car). It sucks because these are the rare System Upgrade headers (V3 I believe) along with the race cat. Such nice headers, such a beautiful sound. When I first installed them along with the DC Sports stainless exhaust, I'm not kidding, my car sounded like a V12 on downshifts. This combination has that "exotic" sound that I was looking for (as opposed to say a rumble type of sound). Over the years my car has gotten quieter, and while it still sounded great, it wasn't the same as when I first installed that exhaust. I am sure that's due to carbon build-up internally, so I'll find a way to clean that up in the future. That, and I discovered both little flex pipes after the headers are leaking :( I'll have to get that repaired. I mean while these headers IMO are the best ones for our car, I found it a bit odd that they are stainless yet the flanges are steel. So the pipes are in good condition but the flanges and flex pipe connections are rusted, hence the flex pipe leaks. That said, the pipe surfaces look gross. Then I remembered wire wheels exist and thought I might as well try, since I could paint them anyway if I'd mess that up- but really wanted to avoid that since wherever possible I like parts to have their "natural" finish (exceptions apply; valve covers must be red! lol). So, here we go:

Much better. But I could go further. Also note that I bought them that way with the dents. To my knowledge these dents are not affecting performance, and when you look inside the headers you can't see the dents inside anyway (I think the piping is double-sleeved). For these headers a solid or maybe poly mount is essential. When I first got them I had stock motor mounts and the sound of them touching the subframe occasionally was uncomfortable and had to restrain accelerating hard :(

Anyway, upon doing more research it seemed best if I were to sandblast them followed by sanding them. This was new to me, having never "polished" metals before. So I blasted, then started with 220 grit (or probably less, can't remember) and went up to probably 1000 or so:

The end result was a sort of satin finish that I was after. I didn't want them up to a mirror/polished level of shine so I'm good with what I have there. While I was at it, I noticed that my Fujita intake was of a mirror finish (though scratched up from ten years of use). I actually wanted to reduce the level of shine (again to that sort of satin) so I went over the piping with sandpaper, followed by sandblasting the inside of the pipe for improved air flow (that's a real thing; creates a "boundary layer" of air so that the rest of the air travels faster). Comparison of my sanded finish (left) vs original mirror finish (right):

Finally... doing this type of work on the supercharger. I've always loved the look of Alfa Romeo engines with the polished intake runners. I was inspired by this and went ahead and sandblasted the powder coating on the runners. It is not recommended to sandblast aluminum for the purposes of getting a polished finish, but, maybe I had the right media in the cabinet since it actually was ok to work with, i.e. to sand it after. Granted it took a while, starting with 80 grit, and the end result is not perfect but I am happy with this:

I'll leave it at that for now :)

very nice. You thinking of getting fanceh valve cover bolts? the shiny stainless ones with anodized washers?

Discussion starter · #46 ·
very nice. You thinking of getting fanceh valve cover bolts? the shiny stainless ones with anodized washers?
I've thought about acquiring some like that yeah. But I haven't searched deeply and figured I'd leave the stock ones for now. I also thought about polishing the stock ones, but no time for that this year :/

anyways, i can hardly wait to see your work buttoned up and all put together. i REALLY need to do a v6 tib build.

Discussion starter · #48 ·
anyways, i can hardly wait to see your work buttoned up and all put together. i REALLY need to do a v6 tib build.
Man if I had I guess I expect to fire up my engine this weekend. Really looking forward to it. Just yesterday I connected the steering and suspension system. Spacers are coming in this week (they are 100% necessary as I will later demonstrate lol). Then I will order a new licence plate sticker and either hit the road then or polish up the body for a week or so before doing so. It doesn't look great right now, and at one point I accidentally released the jack from the side of my car so it crushed and cracked one of my side skirts - that said, I was satisfied with how the side skirt broke actually. Like, it didn't shatter to pieces, it's all still there, and from my brief look at it I don't think the skirt cracked where it is bonded to the steel body. It's bittersweet, I feel the need to do destructive testing (for safety purposes) but I don't want to, you know, destroy my car, lmao.

But yes, V6 is great. Hard to beat its sound. But the I4 beats it in power potential. My car is for the street though and IMO there is such a thing as too much power. I drove my friend's FD with ~400HP a couple days ago. It was fun, but, I was constantly at conflict with myself as I am otherwise risk-adverse and follow the rules of the road. It was way, way, way too easy to shatter speed limits with that car to the point where it starts taking fun away due to me not being an outlaw lol. A near-stock Tib is probably one of the best options for maximum fun without getting into trouble.

Yeah i've been searching actually for 2.7L potential.
taking a re-look at the 2.7L G6EA Mu with CVVT and trying to figure out what car i can find to use as a donor for a tib. being that i like all the other variable efficiency systems, i feel like it could have more potential for a broader powerband (no more peak power than a delta) while still having that unique hyundai 60 degree v6 noise.
i think a Mu may be easier to push past the 180whp mark without F/I than a delta, and with some weight savings work, i think such a build would be a blast all around.

Discussion starter · #50 ·
Yeah i've been searching actually for 2.7L potential.
taking a re-look at the 2.7L G6EA Mu with CVVT and trying to figure out what car i can find to use as a donor for a tib. being that i like all the other variable efficiency systems, i feel like it could have more potential for a broader powerband (no more peak power than a delta) while still having that unique hyundai 60 degree v6 noise.
i think a Mu may be easier to push past the 180whp mark without F/I than a delta, and with some weight savings work, i think such a build would be a blast all around.
Yeah I think I understand you. Would be an interesting challenge indeed.

so, you got new pictures GK-oppa~?

Discussion starter · #52 ·
so, you got new pictures GK-oppa~?
haha do I ever.. but man do I have hardly any time at the moment with everything else going on in my life. Ugh I don't wanna be vague but I can't help but hype things up a bit lol: after hitting a milestone close to two weeks ago (which I will reveal) I have been working on the body. Now unfortunately I do not have the time to redo the whole body the way I want to and truly bring the body kit V2.0 to 2.1, so there will have to be a V2.2 when I work on mainly the body next winter. Currently I am fixing up the front bumper, fenders, and the sections where the fenders meet the skirts. Then while the paint cures for 5 days I will finish up all other details in the engine bay so that I can drive the car. So close. But not enough time.. I have even resorted to staying up late working on it again, much like I used to do a few years ago.

That's a feeling i am familiar with.
i used to stay up late almost every night trying to work out mechanical things and paint work on my cars. about to start again now that i've got a second GK in the fold.

anyways, i'll just wait for your next update. i'm sure it'll be very interesting

Reactions: 131473
Discussion starter · #54 ·
Well it's official: I drove it yesterday.

Took waaay longer than I thought (of course, lol...) and it's not exactly finished either but it'll do for the next couple months until winter hits. I have plenty more planned to do then lol.
I am going to have the alignment done tomorrow morning and then I should be able to daily drive it from there on.

Anyway, I will start taking a bit of a break from it, but as part of that I will be updating this thread over the next few weeks about the last year of progress. And while I am very happy that it works right now, there are a few issues and as well a new challenge for me to get into i.e. the Hydra EMS standalone. I started looking into it today, hopefully it works, and hopefully I can tune it. I believe that's possible of course, but now I am concerned about breaking something lol...

Anyway, whoever is reading this: thanks for following my build, means a lot to me actually. Looking forward to posting progress photos!

very exciting.
Can hardly wait to see the progress photos. it's quite the build.

Discussion starter · #59 ·
In other news... well, it's bad news: I was in the process of driving the car out of the shop this morning when a ticking got louder and the engine failed. I assume it's the timing belt but I will inspect it tonight when I can. There wasn't any knocking or pinging, or pop and anything truly loud. Unfortunately I will have to dedicate my free time to fixing that, but I will try to adjust my schedule to get some updates in the meantime anyway.

Well... heck... That ain't great. Sorry you have to deal with that now. Especially since the car has already seen so much love. I hope the damage isn't very extensive.

Reactions: GK27V6
41 - 60 of 120 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.