1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This thread goes in hand with this one
http://www.newtiburon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90364
since its similiar in some ways

well , as some of you know, I have a 1st gear synchro issue. Always grinds going into 1st . I first went to one hyundai dealer and he said " its your clutch" , so I went to another dealer and they automatically said the same crap. "its your clutch. your throwout bearing isnt disengaging completely , hence grinding the gear" , heres the thing though. They showed me in the system how in 05 the old owner went in because the 1st gear was making a " scratching" noise. It states they " found the clutch to be faulty" even though they didnt even drive the car (the owner told me this). It also stated that the customer declined the $2100 job. The old owner then went to Allstate Transmission for a clutch job. He got the clutch replaced in Jan 06 and the grind did NOT go away. I called the dealer up and told them that it IS NOT THE CLUTCH. After him telling me that yes it was I told him ive taken it to numerous other places and they along with me say its the transmission . I am going to take it in on December 27th so they can check it and drive it around (they were going to try and charge me diagnostics for this but I argued my way out of the $86 charge. Bastards) They will replace my axle under warranty and "diagnose" the problem I know it has.
Heres where it may get interesting, they pull the transmission off and see the spec clutch and fidanza flywheel and try to say some crap about its due to the aftermarket parts.
I need some advice guys before I go in. I already talked to Allstate transmission and they said they would gladly give me a receipt for the work done to prove the clutch really was changed out. I really wish that the tech there had notated that the transmission made a grind in 1st gear even after clutch replacement ,but he didnt. You guys think I have a good chance of winning this since thats proof that the clutch wasnt an issue since it continued to grind even AFTER it was changed out?

One more thing, the previous owner told me he still has the old clutch and flywheel in his attic and said that I can get it from him. I asked him how it looked when they gave it back to him and he doesnt know too much about cars but he told me from what he could tell that didnt look like it was messed up to him .
I guess ill have the receipt and old clutch ready in case they try and BS me with the " oh your aftermarket parts caused the failure" I mean, even if the original clutch IS messed up wouldnt it still prove that it wasnt the clutch causing the grind since it continued even after it was replaced. What do you guys think? The battle may begin Dec. 27th

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
one more thing. My clutch slips if I shift too fast sometimes. Would there be a chance my clutch isnt disengaging all the way since it slips when this happens? or is it just a crappy clutch going out after 10k. Ive heard that it could be pedal adjustment before. Why would my pedal adjustment be off though from factory since this grinding issue I have has been going on since the previous owner and he had the stock clutch on it.

·
Swim away fishes...
5,421 Posts
If 1st gear had trouble before the clutch swap, a licensed mechanic replaced the clutch, and the 1st gear is still having trouble...you can use that to argue against what they said was the problem. However, they will say something else now. They will say the problem is now from an aftermarket clutch and aluminum flywheel. Like I said in the other post, you're fighting an uphill battle. The fidanza is going to be cut and dry for them to blame transmission problems on, whether it is true or not. And even if they agree to service the trans under wrranty, once they pull it out and see the flywheel, they're going to get the boss and make it come out of your pocket.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Btw... 1st gear doesn't have a synchro. Same as reverse. These gears are meant to be entered into from a stop therefore there would be nothing to synchronize... at least that is my understand of synchro equiped trannies... correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I have a similar issue with my synchros in 3rd gear. I guess my situation is a little better since I don't have an aftermarket clutch or flywheel yet. The dealerships I did go to are saying they are not gonna do the work because of my mods (I/H/E) I'm still kinda waiting till after X-Mas to really take it up with them and slam them with the Magnusson-Moss Act.

·
Registered
57 Posts
They CAN NOT deny warranty because of a custom part unless they are undoubtedly sure that that is the cause of your problem. Its a national law for vehicles under warranty that I read not too long ago on this forum. I'd ask them to prove that the custom parts have cause a problem or else they need to fix it. Worse comes to worse, get a lawyer to give them a bit of a scare and I'm sure they'll be more than happy to fix your problem.

·
Swim away fishes...
5,421 Posts
Its simple, an accepted conclusion is that replacing a dual mass flywheel with a solid flywheel may lead to premature transmission failures due to increased shock loading of the gears. They can now say the fidanza was a direct cause of the transmission problem. That will nix the MM-Act and the warranty coverage. What you need to do is find a tech at the dealer that will help you out to get the problem fixed under warranty. If you act like you're a know-it-all with the legal process and demand coverage, they're not going to go out of their way to help you.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I don't know man, in my dealership it goes sometihng like this... I come with a problem they say they woun't cover it .... I ***** and yell and call corporate once, complain to them for 5-10 mins. Guy from corporate calls the dealership... my car goes in and gets fixed. After 3 times of doing this they don't even say anything they fix it, period.
Yes it sounds easy but it did take me sometime to do all this but in the end all hard work and aton of nervs turned out into something good.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
cool then. ill give it a shot. should I tell them from the get go that I have the aftermarket clutch and flywheel? or wait til they tear it apart ? I adjusted the pedal and the clutch feels better but still grindin 1st. thanks for the help guys

·
Registered
412 Posts
Chemik said:
cool then. ill give it a shot. should I tell them from the get go that I have the aftermarket clutch and flywheel? or wait til they tear it apart ? I adjusted the pedal and the clutch feels better but still grindin 1st. thanks for the help guys

unless they ask you, dont say anything.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
didnt take it in. Trading it in on friday for an 03 accord auto so I can stop zippin around town in standard daily drivers and getting tickets. this accord is so sweet :p

·
Registered
93 Posts
First - 1st gear does have a synchro on it.

Second - If this does it while sitting still try one thing for me. Next time you come to a stop. Put it in neutral, then while holding the clutch in, pull it into sencond and then put it into first. Do this a couple times. If it grinds on both gears then the clutch is probably not disengaging completely. If it only does it in first then you might (and I emphasize might) be looking at an internal issue such as worn bearings or a worn synchronizer ring on 1st gear.

Third - The next thing to check is your clutch pedal free play. There should be a very small amount, maybe 1/4" of movement total before your slave cylinder begins to move. A mis-adjusted clutch master cylinder can cause all sorts of issues. When does the clutch engage? Right off the floor or towards the top?

Fourth - Slipping between gears, not surprised. I've test driven cars on our lot and seen them slip on the 1-2 shift with 4 miles on them. Hyundai needs a better clutch in these cars, but the problem is that the 6-speed is a crap design so they use the clutch as a fuse to protect the tranny then they don't warranty the fuse (see Mitsubishi Evolution 8 and 9 for similar issues).

Fifth - I'd suggest anyone looking to build a high performance manual transmission 6 cylinder Tiburon to look into a swap from the 6 speed down to the 5. Especially if you're looking into a turbocharged buildup as the extra torque will make up for any loss of gearing advantage and the fact that the turbo's working longer and spending less time re-spooling between shifts will mean that your car will be just as fast (if not faster) as well as being cheaper to repair and more reliable to boot.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
mavisky said:
First - 1st gear does have a synchro on it.

Second - If this does it while sitting still try one thing for me. Next time you come to a stop. Put it in neutral, then while holding the clutch in, pull it into sencond and then put it into first. Do this a couple times. If it grinds on both gears then the clutch is probably not disengaging completely. If it only does it in first then you might (and I emphasize might) be looking at an internal issue such as worn bearings or a worn synchronizer ring on 1st gear.

Third - The next thing to check is your clutch pedal free play. There should be a very small amount, maybe 1/4" of movement total before your slave cylinder begins to move. A mis-adjusted clutch master cylinder can cause all sorts of issues. When does the clutch engage? Right off the floor or towards the top?

Fourth - Slipping between gears, not surprised. I've test driven cars on our lot and seen them slip on the 1-2 shift with 4 miles on them. Hyundai needs a better clutch in these cars, but the problem is that the 6-speed is a crap design so they use the clutch as a fuse to protect the tranny then they don't warranty the fuse (see Mitsubishi Evolution 8 and 9 for similar issues).

Fifth - I'd suggest anyone looking to build a high performance manual transmission 6 cylinder Tiburon to look into a swap from the 6 speed down to the 5. Especially if you're looking into a turbocharged buildup as the extra torque will make up for any loss of gearing advantage and the fact that the turbo's working longer and spending less time re-spooling between shifts will mean that your car will be just as fast (if not faster) as well as being cheaper to repair and more reliable to boot.
thanks for all the input man. As far as shifting, I have to go 2nd to 1st to leave at the green light. It doesnt grind when i do that , but I have to be at a complete stop. Otherwise going 2nd to 1st while at 5mph will grind.
My buddy adjusted the pedal and now it doesnt slip if I shift hard through gears. It engages near the top .

Maybe I shoulda gotten the v6 5 spd. o well, I wish I woulda had a better experience with this car. I will be trading it in next week and losin a lot of money but I cant deal with all this car's issues . Honda has never done me wrong. Ill prob buy a tibby in 3 years when I can find em for $5k. lol

1 - 15 of 15 Posts