Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, being that I'm a service writer at a Nissan dealership; I get to be around all kinds of brand new Maximas and 350 Zs. Now I've always liked the shift knob that the 350 Z comes factory with, so I've been searching for quite awhile to find something that looked similar with a lift reverse. Enter the 2006 Maxima 6-speed. Yep, my new favorite shift knob is just an ordinary factory one off of a 2006 Maxima. :3_loveit: Well, being that our factory shift knobs leave a lot to be desired, this factory one definitely caught my eye. At first I wasn't even sure if the threads would match up, so I took on off of one of the cars in the lot and did a test fit on my Tib. Needless to say, it threaded on PERFECTLY...but there was one little catch. There is a little plastic piece that is on the bottom of the knob that acts like a beauty ring, or something along that line, that wasn't allowing the lifting mechanism to go up into the knob. So, knowing that I couldn't start screwing with the shift knob that I'd borrowed from another car, I decided to take a chance at making it fit and order one. Well, after getting my very own shift knob, I was able to start brainstorming on how to trim or get rid of that stupid beauty ring. Well, luck have it, it was a whole lot easier than I expected it to be. All I ended up doing was popping that plastic piece out of the shift knob with a regular sized flat tip screw driver. :3_bier: After that, the knob fit just like it was the original OEM one from the factory (including the spring). So in the end, I've found a pretty nice factory replacement shift knob for the Tiburon community that everyone can easily obtain from any Nissan dealership (or probably even on line).

Here is the part number: 32865-ZA302

And here are a bunch of pictures of the knob (on and off of the car) and how to pry out that little beauty ring thing.

·
Banned
1,154 Posts
Looks great. Might have to pick one up if no one makes an affordable ball type for the 6-speed. 2 questions:

1. How much will the GB be when you sell them with your employee discount? (hint, hint)
2. Is it any heftier than the stock knob? I have a sparco and not very pleased with it because it is so light.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
bcware said:
looks nice :3_winkthu also liking how clean the car is. no dust.
Thanks! Yeah, I always think it's funny how everyone asks me if my car is brand new the first time I show it to them. I guess I'm just really anal when it comes to my cars and how they're kept up.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
young tibby said:
Wow, that looks sweet! how they cost?
Well, the list price at Nissan is only $69.05, so that's really not too bad of a price when compared to the prices of most MOMO shift knobs. And thanks again for all the compliments!

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
If you were priding yourself in being the only one with that knob, you do realize that people will like it and order it, right? I'm saying that because I just called a local Nissan dealership and ordered one :3_nosthum Thanks for the info man, I've been looking for a decent knob for my 6-speed for a long time now.

By the way guys, I called 3 different Nissan dealerships around town, and they all quoted me $80 give or take a couple bucks. The first two I called said they ship them but not locally in Phoenix... WTF?!

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
nul7 said:
Looks great. Might have to pick one up if no one makes an affordable ball type for the 6-speed. 2 questions:

1. How much will the GB be when you sell them with your employee discount? (hint, hint)
2. Is it any heftier than the stock knob? I have a sparco and not very pleased with it because it is so light.
Well, like a stated above, the list price is $69.05, but, being that I get mine at cost, I ended up only paying $53.86 plus tax. As for a group by, I don't really think I want to mess with that headache. I mean, don't get me wrong, I want everyone who wants one to have one, but I don't really think I'd be able to afford ordering a boat load of shift knobs right now for a GB anyway. Hell, I'm still recovering from the chunk O change that I dropped on my Assassin back in April (which should be shipping out here very soon - I hope). So, with that said, a GB might be a possibility sometime down the road, but that's not a definite though (going back to college in the fall - yay for being poor again). :3_bier:

As for the weight of the knob, it's actually a little bit heavier, but nothing too drastic. All in all, I REALLY like how this know feels while shifting. Plus you really can't beat the fact that it is a direct fit (screw on) replacement shift knob either.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Very nice...i want one...

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Skorch said:
If you were priding yourself in being the only one with that knob, you do realize that people will like it and order it, right? I'm saying that because I just called a local Nissan dealership and ordered one :3_nosthum Thanks for the info man, I've been looking for a decent knob for my 6-speed for a long time now.

By the way guys, I called 3 different Nissan dealerships around town, and they all quoted me $80 give or take a couple bucks. The first two I called said they ship them but not locally in Phoenix... WTF?!
LOL...yeah, I kinda figured that there'd be quite a few people on here that would order one, but that doesn't really bother me any. That's the whole idea behind this website anyway...to help one another out, and bring anything new and cool to light in the Tib community so everyone else can enjoy it. If I just kept this to myself, it'd be kinda like having a Ferrari and never showing it to anyone...it's cool that I have it, but no one even knows about it, so it really doesn't even matter. I know...stupid analogy, but I'm sure you know what I mean just the same.

And I'm right with you on looking for a decent shift knob bro! I've been looking since I got my Tib back in 2003! :3_coool: The only one that I reasonably liked was the Concepto knob, but it was both expensive AND hard to obtain. That's why I am so happy to have finally found something that goes well with the interior and is a direct fit as well (I really hate those knobs with the set screws in them).

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Yeah, I know exactly what you mean. If you can't show it off, then where's the fun in having it?

I have one question about the knob though, does it screw on to the very end and end up stopping centered like that or did you have to find a washer or something to make it stop where you wanted it? I hope that makes sense... All I'm concerned about is the 1-6 and R to be facing the right direction. My ARK knob I got with my sts is pure aluminum and it ends up at a 90-degree angle from where it's supposed to be and there is nothing you can do short of a washer to make the numbers line up.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Skorch said:
Yeah, I know exactly what you mean. If you can't show it off, then where's the fun in having it?

I have one question about the knob though, does it screw on to the very end and end up stopping centered like that or did you have to find a washer or something to make it stop where you wanted it? I hope that makes sense... All I'm concerned about is the 1-6 and R to be facing the right direction. My ARK knob I got with my sts is pure aluminum and it ends up at a 90-degree angle from where it's supposed to be and there is nothing you can do short of a washer to make the numbers line up.
Yep, you make perfect sense. As for how the shift knob lines up, it's dead on. All I did was screw it on until it wouldn't screw down any further and it was oriented just like you saw it in the pictures. It's almost like it was made to fit our Tibs or something. So, don't worry, you won't need any washers to line it up correctly, and the great thing about it is that it's rock solid once it's tightened down (unlike all the set screw knobs I've tried in the past - which always ended up falling off when I went to change gears).

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Skorch said:

I have the Ark STS also but like the factory knob better but abyways when aI was using the Ark one you can rotate the inner circle with the shift pattern on it. Just press down on it with your thumd and twist.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Macatron said:
Yep, you make perfect sense. As for how the shift knob lines up, it's dead on. All I did was screw it on until it wouldn't screw down any further and it was oriented just like you saw it in the pictures. It's almost like it was made to fit our Tibs or something. So, don't worry, you won't need any washers to line it up correctly, and the great thing about it is that it's rock solid once it's tightened down (unlike all the set screw knobs I've tried in the past - which always ended up falling off when I went to change gears).
SWEET! Can't wait to get mine this Tuesday.

herbtea said:
I have the Ark STS also but like the factory knob better but abyways when aI was using the Ark one you can rotate the inner circle with the shift pattern on it. Just press down on it with your thumd and twist.
I feel like a moron. Thanks for the info! I'll give it a try sometime... I never really liked that knob though, and using it right now would be very painful since it is solid aluminum, which will burn a hole in my hand when I get in my car on a 110-degree day.

·
Retired Staff
4,860 Posts
Nice, isn't that the same knob they use on the Skyline GTR34? Iv'e seen a few pics of their interiors and they have that knob only it says GT-R on the side where the metal slops down. Anyway, I've got a shift knob from the 350Z/G35 on mine and it looks pretty damn good too. Only difference is there's just the metal plate on top with the shift pattern. I had to remove the reverse lockout thing from my shifter to make it work though.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Looks great, I might have to go pick one up. I was using the shift knob I got with my B&M, but aluminum + summer = burnination of the right hand, so I'm using the stock one right now.

1 - 20 of 97 Posts